Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Air Question...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone that turns up late for a flight and delays it, is an inconsiderate tosser in my book. If it were my plane I'd leave 'em standing on the tarmac.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone that turns up late for a flight and delays it, is an inconsiderate tosser in my book. If it were my plane I'd leave 'em standing on the tarmac.

Which is fair enough. But, my method never results in a plane being delayed...and airports are such dull places so I really do feel people should reduce the amount of time they spent in them. Will Self has the right idea, and he suggests airport operators have missed a trick by not painting everything silver, having swishing doors and all the staff dressed up in Buck Rogers outfits. In fact if this happens I'll probably turn up super early and lord it around in a NASA spaceman's outfit for a few hours. Until then I'll go about my travel as I currently do.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
"The plane the plane"

fantasyisland.jpg

I don't understand why people don't like airports. I spend a fair bit of time passing through them, and I'm either there for work purposes, in which case I can get out the laptop and do some work like I would on a train or in a hotel, or I'm there for pleasure, in which case there's a bar, or in the case of early morning flights a cafe, where I can get food/drink and read a book.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I can only remember one occasion when I was on a plane that was held for late passengers. It was a United flight from San Francisco and there were some British people who were delayed from a connecting flight (not a United flight either). Anyway, United rather generously help the flight and the miserable sods still complained because they couldn't sit together ! Rather ashamed of being British at that point.

However few airlines delay flights for late passengers now as it's too expensive. The ones who really piss me off are the ones who check their luggage in and then go to the bar and miss their boarding. These wankers hold people up while their luggage is taken off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't understand why people don't like airports. I spend a fair bit of time passing through them, and I'm either there for work purposes, in which case I can get out the laptop and do some work like I would on a train or in a hotel, or I'm there for pleasure, in which case there's a bar, or in the case of early morning flights a cafe, where I can get food/drink and read a book.

But if you have a choice of this, or simply just turning up a few minutes before the flight......

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To be honest, it'd make me far too stressed about missing it to be worthwhile. If I'm not at the airport I'm just worried about making sure that I get there. I feel a sense of relief once there, which is probably why I don't mind them so much!

Same as. Always at the airport for check-in anything up to 3 houts before flight time. Although that may have something to do with the amount of time Mrs P likes to spend wandering around the shops in departure.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be honest, it'd make me far too stressed about missing it to be worthwhile. If I'm not at the airport I'm just worried about making sure that I get there. I feel a sense of relief once there, which is probably why I don't mind them so much!

Ditto, doesn't matter whether it's work or play I still prefer to be able to sit comfortably holding my boarding pass. From that point on just about anything that could go wrong is not down to me.

Same here. I'm quite happy to get there and check in at least two hours before departure. You've then got plenty of time to relax, have a drink and let the Valium kick in. :smile:

If it's just me and the missus we'll book a lounge. They're great. About £15 for unlimited snacks and all the booze you can get down your neck.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fair enough...and my missus will no doubt support your point of view. As will my mate who threatened to punch me when I joked I was still in the bath when he called me to ask where I was.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Ditto, doesn't matter whether it's work or play I still prefer to be able to sit comfortably holding my boarding pass. From that point on just about anything that could go wrong is not down to me.

Absolutely: is it really such a terrible thing to be an hour early and enjoy a cup of coffee and a newspaper in peace, rather than pushing through a security queue and racing to get to the flight?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
My Mrs used to suffer from this "have to check-in stupidly early" syndrome and got irrationally stressed about it. The cure was when we missed a flight once - and having seen that the world didn't end after all, she's more laid back about it now.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
To be fair, they tell you they'll go without you if you're not there and ready to go 30 mins beforehand, so if you decide to turn up after that (and everyone knows it can take 30 mins to get through security), then you can't really blame them. (Obviously not your situation as you weren't deliberately cutting it fine).

Yep it's true, I was very surprised I was allowed on. I would have to of waited 24 hours with no money for the next flight. Even had a screaming baby next to me but I was just relieved to be on the plane.

Heard plenty of horror stories about ryanair though so I think I was very fortunate indeed.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Absolutely: is it really such a terrible thing to be an hour early and enjoy a cup of coffee and a newspaper in peace, rather than pushing through a security queue and racing to get to the flight?

Well, rightly or wrongly I am an early riser in any case and am much in demand to drive people to airports because of it ! Only the dog is happy otherwise although it may have been a factor in both my divorces.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
to be fair - my original post is about me needing to get public transport - 2 busses and a taxi to an airport - and this makes it pretty tight....but i reckon as long as i get to the gate as ppl are boarding ill be fine :) done this before ...but not planned.

i hate airports, all is sooo expensive, last time i was so annoyed at e3.40 for a water i stole one out of principle - something i never do.

As for using wifi - most airports need a 30euros sign up for a month of airport internet.

I must say tho - that when i am on a plane that DOES wait for ppl, and then they get on late holding everyone else up i do say loudly "punctuality costs nothing" - but in my case if im late i miss it and inconvenience no one else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here