Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well WW3 has already started before 2014. Whether you believe there is a Gerasimov Doctrine or not, the hybrid phase of the war has been going on for over 8 years. And here we are now with soldiers fighting in trenches.

Even a peace deal in Ukraine only pauses this phase of WW3.
Declaring that WW3 has started is nonsense. If this does descend into WW3 it will indeed be possible (if anyone is left alive) to trace the start back to some time in the past, but you're taking it as read that it's not possible for this to de-escalate and not end up with WW3 in the next few decades (or whatever timeframe you're choosing).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we have no place to judge any agreement reached by President Zelensky as it's not us being blown up and put under the threat of chemical warfare.
Indeed and I haven't suggested otherwise. I'm simply saying that any deal they make that gives Russia land, or promises not to join NATO or the EU, can later be changed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the Ukrainians do find an agreement by refusing to join NATO and giving up Crimea etc what happens then. Do we all automatically start trading with Russia again and all seized assets get returned? If not then how do things unfold from here on in. Russia would still be in a dire situation economically not knowing how long they will be isolated so its difficult to see where we go from here
That's an important point, I imagine no one knows the answer. Perhaps a lessening of sanctions, but not a total removal?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seems crazy that they haven't gone in, then, if they don't think it's more likely than unlikely.
If it was a 1 in 3 chance, do you think they should go in? Of course not. But that doesn't mean they think it's more likely than not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Declaring that WW3 has started is nonsense. If this does descend into WW3 it will indeed be possible (if anyone is left alive) to trace the start back to some time in the past, but you're taking it as read that it's not possible for this to de-escalate and not end up with WW3 in the next few decades (or whatever timeframe you're choosing).

I read Alternative War by J.J.Patrick and it persuaded me that the hybrid world war has already started.

We are now getting into the definition of WW3 I suppose but it seems to me that the first actual bullet has been fired already.

I think there is actually a chance it will be called off. A Putin fatal heart attack for example might lead to that, but with Putin in charge I think he keeps coming back for more learning from previous mistakes, getting the next stooge into the Whitehouse etc. which might doom us all.

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Vlad the impaler is losing the plot.

Putin today labelled some Russians as traitors, and then some...

Full quotes below and link to transcript here. And shivers.

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/67996

The west, Putin said, is betting on the support of a 'fifth column', on "national traitors"...

"...on those who make money here, in our country, but live there, and "live" not even in the geographical sense, but in their thoughts, in their consciousness, which is enslaved."
"I don't condemn at all those who have a villa in Miami or on the French Riviera, who cannot do without foie gras, oysters, or so-called 'gender freedoms'. That is absolutely not the problem."

"But, I repeat, the problem is that many of these people are mentally there, not here, not with our people, not with Russia. This is, in their opinion - in their opinion - a sign of belonging to a higher caste, to a higher race."

"Such people are ready to sell their mother, just to be allowed to sit in the hallway of this highest caste. They want to be like it... But they... don't understand that this so-called upper caste needs them only as expendable material to cause maximum damage to our people."

"The collective West is trying to split our society by speculating on military losses, on the socio-economic consequences of sanctions, to provoke civil confrontation in Russia and, using its 'fifth column', seeks to achieve its goal... the destruction of Russia."

"But any people, and moreover the Russian people, can always distinguish the true patriots from the scum and traitors, and simply spit them out, like a gnat that accidentally flew into their mouth, spit them out on the panel."

"I am convinced that this natural and necessary self-cleansing of society will only strengthen our country, our solidarity, cohesion and readiness to meet any challenge."

"The so-called collective West and its 'fifth column' are used to measuring everything and everyone by themselves. They believe that everything is sold and everything is bought, so they think that we will break down and retreat. But they do not know our history and people well."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

sounds like a pop at wealthy merchant classes, possibly the oligarchs too. are you with Russia or against. rattled? funny it ties in exactly with a long thread i read suggesting the best tactic would be to offer Russian army and others a bounty to defect to the west. might have been right on target, we should do the thing he fears.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

The west, Putin said, is betting on the support of a 'fifth column', on "national traitors"...

"...on those who make money here, in our country, but live there, and "live" not even in the geographical sense, but in their thoughts, in their consciousness, which is enslaved."
"I don't condemn at all those who have a villa in Miami or on the French Riviera, who cannot do without foie gras, oysters, or so-called 'gender freedoms'. That is absolutely not the problem."

"But, I repeat, the problem is that many of these people are mentally there, not here, not with our people, not with Russia. This is, in their opinion - in their opinion - a sign of belonging to a higher caste, to a higher race."

"Such people are ready to sell their mother, just to be allowed to sit in the hallway of this highest caste. They want to be like it... But they... don't understand that this so-called upper caste needs them only as expendable material to cause maximum damage to our people."

"The collective West is trying to split our society by speculating on military losses, on the socio-economic consequences of sanctions, to provoke civil confrontation in Russia and, using its 'fifth column', seeks to achieve its goal... the destruction of Russia."

"But any people, and moreover the Russian people, can always distinguish the true patriots from the scum and traitors, and simply spit them out, like a gnat that accidentally flew into their mouth, spit them out on the panel."

"I am convinced that this natural and necessary self-cleansing of society will only strengthen our country, our solidarity, cohesion and readiness to meet any challenge."

"The so-called collective West and its 'fifth column' are used to measuring everything and everyone by themselves. They believe that everything is sold and everything is bought, so they think that we will break down and retreat. But they do not know our history and people well."

A few takeaways:

Yes, he has lost the plot.

I take particular note of this, the second time that the phrase 'the so-called collective West' has been used. It means he thinks the West is not 'collective' and united. So, expect attempts from him to divide us.

But I wonder if the real meat is here: 'on those who make money here, in our country, but live there.....' Who exactly is he talking about? The oligarchs? Is he looking for scapegoats? Is he hitting out at easy targets?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A few takeaways:

Yes, he has lost the plot.

I take particular note of this, the second time that the phrase 'the so-called collective West' has been used. It means he thinks the West is not 'collective' and united. So, expect attempts from him to divide us.

But I wonder if the real meat is here: 'on those who make money here, in our country, but live there.....' Who exactly is he talking about? The oligarchs? Is he looking for scapegoats? Is he hitting out at easy targets?

That's how I took it. Maybe they've been trying to talk him down

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That's how I took it. Maybe they've been trying to talk him down

That 'so called collective west' comment turned up in the speech by Sergey Naryshkin. I thought it was quite illuminating at the time. But for it to appear again.....

It's clearly a sore point.

Putin is now appealing to ordinary Russians, and turning on the oligarchs. I see this as a good sign. Get the popcorn in.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
whats occuring in Belarus?

[tweet]1504200509481173006[/tweet]

no real confirmation, theories from training exercise, false flag attack, to possible coup.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I don't think he has lost the plot, he is acknowledging the splitting of opinion in Russia, and suggesting that being anti war is anti Russian and a fifth column against Putin is a fifth column against Russia. Anyone with money and not willing to stay and suffer is a traitor, anyone protesting about the war is a traitor. It's a reaction to journalists quitting their jobs in state media, street protesters, people leaving the country, and oligarchs expressing negative opinions about the war in Ukraine.
It makes sense, all bollocks, but it will work on a large portion of Russians

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
whats occuring in Belarus?

[tweet]1504200509481173006[/tweet]

no real confirmation, theories from training exercise, false flag attack, to possible coup.
It's hard to find much info on this.

We can hope for a successful coup that sparks revolution in Russia but that is a lot of wishful thinking.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It's hard to find much info on this.

We can hope for a successful coup that sparks revolution in Russia but that is a lot of wishful thinking.

yeah, doesnt look like anything, prob just some training. bit of wishful thinking, though if there was a good time for Belarus, Georgia, or Chechnya to kick off it would be now.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
A trench will be of no use to anyone, should WW3 start. It's quite simple, really.

I’m sorry that you seem utterly convinced that an escalation to nuclear war is inevitable should NATO intervene, but having made that point, which I personally disagree strongly with, could you perhaps leave it at that? You’re making the thread unreadable with your constant “we’re doomed” Private Fraser rhetoric, which is largely doing Putin’s work for him.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I can imagine Hitler making a similarly deranged speech from his bunker in 1945. Putin is finished.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here