Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
sorry if fixtures....
It won't stop the bombs, but it's a nice touch:

Baltic countries rename addresses of Russian embassies to honor Ukraine
From CNN’s James Frater in London

Authorities in the Lithuanian of capital Vilnius have renamed the section of road where the Russian embassy is located to “Ukrainian Heroes Street” in an act of support for the people of Ukraine.

The business card of every employee of the Russian embassy will be decorated with a note honoring Ukraine's fighting,” the mayor of Vilnius, Remigijus Šimašius, said in a statement.
He added that “everyone will have to think about the cruelty of the Russian regime against the peaceful Ukrainian nation when writing this street name.”

This follows a similar move by neighboring Baltic country Latvia, whose capital also changed the address of the Russian embassy in Riga to “Independent Ukraine Street.”

Kaspars Līcītis from Riga's city council told CNN the renaming of the street was to support the “heroic struggle of the Ukrainian people against the hostilities launched by the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine.”

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Worrying news coming out is Russian planes attacking Belarus settlements from Ukraine, Given the Belarus leader is in Russia at the moment I can only see Belarus coming in to the war?

Yep Ukraine defence has verified this, Russian planes attacking a Belarus village. Probably a gentle shove to get Belarus to commit more troops

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Is this the time to mention that when so many western firms and companies have pulled out / stopped supplying / suspended services to Russia, Marks & Spencer has refused to close its stores and continues to operate. They seem to believe that collecting for Ukraine at the checkouts is an adequate substitute for them to continuing to trade.

The CEO of M&S is Steve Rowe and his email address is:

steve.rowe@marks-and-spencer.com

I hope many others will join me in lobbying Mr Rowe in the hope that he understands that the stance being taken by his organisation is supporting a brutal, murderous regime.

Email sent.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
sorry if fixtures....
It won't stop the bombs, but it's a nice touch:

Baltic countries rename addresses of Russian embassies to honor Ukraine
From CNN’s James Frater in London

Authorities in the Lithuanian of capital Vilnius have renamed the section of road where the Russian embassy is located to “Ukrainian Heroes Street” in an act of support for the people of Ukraine.

The business card of every employee of the Russian embassy will be decorated with a note honoring Ukraine's fighting,” the mayor of Vilnius, Remigijus Šimašius, said in a statement.
He added that “everyone will have to think about the cruelty of the Russian regime against the peaceful Ukrainian nation when writing this street name.”

This follows a similar move by neighboring Baltic country Latvia, whose capital also changed the address of the Russian embassy in Riga to “Independent Ukraine Street.”

Kaspars Līcītis from Riga's city council told CNN the renaming of the street was to support the “heroic struggle of the Ukrainian people against the hostilities launched by the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine.”

I wholeheartedly agree, very nice touch.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Worrying news coming out is Russian planes attacking Belarus settlements from Ukraine, Given the Belarus leader is in Russia at the moment I can only see Belarus coming in to the war?

I saw footage of Belarussian uniformed soldier with yellow armband, standing alongside Ukranians. Reports of some deserting and joining Ukraine, thought to be after they were ordered in to fight against Ukraine.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
[tweet]1502281843776835589[/tweet]

You wont understand whats being said, but its a captured Russian Pilot who says he dropped heavy bombs on civillian areas in Kharkiv. He knew they were not military targets, but he still had to follow orders.

He could have tried to miss, still going to hit something civilian though I suppose.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I have no idea now why we are not cutting diplomatic relations with Russia. They are not going to negotiate with us and we've told all Brits to leave. It would be a powerful message if all western embassies were closed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He could have tried to miss, still going to hit something civilian though I suppose.
Ukraine is a large country, he could have dropped them in the middle of nowhere - or better still, just ejected and left his plane to crash somewhere safe.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw footage of Belarussian uniformed soldier with yellow armband, standing alongside Ukranians. Reports of some deserting and joining Ukraine, thought to be after they were ordered in to fight against Ukraine.

As I posted earlier, this is NOT Belarus's war. I think they are under duress from Russia and they don't fully support Lukashenko either as they know he's a stooge. It's possible that Belarus could have a major regime change if pushed in to war.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have no idea now why we are not cutting diplomatic relations with Russia. They are not going to negotiate with us and we've told all Brits to leave. It would be a powerful message if all western embassies were closed.

We need lines of communication, plus some Embassy staff will be intelligence gatherers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ukraine is a large country, he could have dropped them in the middle of nowhere - or better still, just ejected and left his plane to crash somewhere safe.
A fair few of the Russian pilot parachutes have not worked.

Probably not worth the risk unless there is no other option.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I would imagine the last thing you do in a war is cut diplomatic communication.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pentagon National Security reporter
[tweet]1502295665950564355[/tweet]

I don’t claim to be a military expert in the slightest, but surely it can’t be a sign that things are going well for Russia to lose several high-ranking officers in such a short timeframe? I guess losing one might be a risk, but aren’t senior officers usually nowhere near the actual fighting?

Like I say, no expert and happy to be corrected.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Story in an Israeli publication regarding Belarussian military.

"On the other hand, many Belarusian fighters – the equivalent of around five military units – have joined the Ukrainians to fight the Russians. The "partisan" movement of opponents of the Belarusian regime has deployed its people throughout the country to thwart the deployment of Russian military forces inside Belarus in preparation for an invasion of Ukraine."

https://www.israelhayom.com/2022/03...vented-country-from-joining-ukraine-invasion/

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fear a chemical attack is imminent once the bombing of Kyiv starts. This crisis is going to ramp up dramatically imo

Putin is in a corner which makes him even more dangerous

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don’t claim to be a military expert in the slightest, but surely it can’t be a sign that things are going well for Russia to lose several high-ranking officers in such a short timeframe? I guess losing one might be a risk, but aren’t senior officers usually nowhere near the actual fighting?

Like I say, no expert and happy to be corrected.

But here is what it says on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60685883/page/2 (scroll down to 15:19)
'Death of Russian general confirmed by Western officials'

'Analysts have previously said that the presence of high-ranking military figures on or near the battlefield could be a sign that Russia's operations are not going to plan.'

When you also hear that several generals have been fired by Putin, it all fits.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I fear a chemical attack is imminent once the bombing of Kyiv starts. This crisis is going to ramp up dramatically imo

Putin is in a corner which makes him even more dangerous

I fear it too. I read somewhere that Putin is an admirer of the history and beauty in Kyiv (not than I can imagine his getting misty eyed over anything much except mass murder), so he could well use chemical attacks there rather than missiles.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Nice idea, but not really viable. Missions are routinely recorded like dashcam footage for post-mission debrief. If he dropped his payload in a field and / or ejected, writing off a $15-$20m warplane in the process, then the pilot would likely be spending his forseeable future in a Siberian labour camp.

At best.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here