Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Seeing as there are a number of somewhat fragile people on this board who will worry let’s be very clear about the facts.

“The problem is not due to a cyber attack, the airline said”

British Airways short-haul flights from Heathrow cancelled https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60533275

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If not an attempt to create friction and provoke reaction, I’m really struggling to understand the purpose or value of the first part of your post. If your presence on this thread is simply to try to settle a few NSC scores and mock then youll be unable to contribute further. Thanks

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1497507768789618689[/tweet]

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think Putin has bought his own press here. I think everyone believed what he was saying including him, and he thought that the people of Ukraine would celebrate Russia coming in to take over. That's why fuel is running low and why soldiers aren't fully into the fighting.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
'Two US officials confirmed that Ukraine shot down a second Il-76 transport aircraft tonight. If true, this would be a really significant mistake for the Russian military, and possibly the worst loss of life for the Russian Airborne Forces since the 2nd Chechen War.'

That's odd. I thought that the Americans were not on the ground in Ukraine.

Would be naive to think there are no US covert operatives in there - not saying that is wrong either by the way, I'm sure useful information is being gained as to how good/bad/indifferent the Russian Army is. I think indifferent is probably the call given such overwhelming firepower...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My word, why on earth are you so sensitive? The Conservative party received £1.8m funding from someone very close to the Kremlin, their highest single donation from a female. That money was for influence, it always is.

751f1ccf831b3192d732a4cb2226f201.jpg

If you don’t think that is serious enough for justified satire and rightly posted on this thread, you’re as bad a Putin by trying to stifle opinions you don’t like, take a look at yourself.

If the question is, why were UK sanctions late and not very strong, you can’t blame people for looking at the the £1.8m donation.

Why are European sanctions late and not very strong (source; the Ukrainian President) ? There is a rich and powerful elite in every European country. Perhaps you should explore that in the same terms. The fact that you don’t is the playing politics bit. I think the entire Western world has been too slow in reacting to Russia. That includes the UK. Economics and self preservation are the driving force behind the response. Hopefully that is changing.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Two US officials confirmed that Ukraine shot down a second Il-76 transport aircraft tonight. If true, this would be a really significant mistake for the Russian military, and possibly the worst loss of life for the Russian Airborne Forces since the 2nd Chechen War.'

That's odd. I thought that the Americans were not on the ground in Ukraine.

This may go some way in explaining why Putin has requested troops from Kazakhstan (and superbly, got turned down). Thumbs up to Kazakhstan :thumbsup:

Conclusion:

1) He has miscalculated.
2) He needs more troops.
3) He thinks his current cannon fodder aren't enough.
4) Moving troops by air suddenly got a lot more dangerous.
5) He considers Kazakh troops more expendable than Russian ones.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This war is all about politics. I don’t separate international politics from domestic politics because they are clearly linked. When I studied history at college, we would look at cartoons and satire, they are very interesting indeed. If there was no link between Boris and Putin, I could see your point, but there clearly is something there and the post that is offending you, whilst potentially crass and clearly a huge exaggeration, has a painful (if not somewhat tiny) grain of truth.

I’d agree with this. Satirical cartoons that hit their target are a real art and have been used down the centuries to lampoon those in power and shine a light on some uncomfortable truths in a way words just sometimes can’t.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If not an attempt to create friction and provoke reaction, I’m really struggling to understand the purpose or value of the first part of your post. If your presence on this thread is simply to try to settle a few NSC scores and mock then youll be unable to contribute further. Thanks

[emoji2357]
So you’ll silence me for having an opinion of what was posted by Nob and ultimately what I think of him , well done [emoji122][emoji122]

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Would be naive to think there are no US covert operatives in there - not saying that is wrong either by the way, I'm sure useful information is being gained as to how good/bad/indifferent the Russian Army is. I think indifferent is probably the call given such overwhelming firepower...

Indeed.

Then there is the question whether Biden would send in covert operatives, and not arm them to the teeth. I'm wondering whether it was the US officials who downed the planes, and then 'confirmed' it was the Ukrainians. We will never know. Either way, it makes the movement of Russian troops around Ukraine more problematic.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1497319619169763334[/tweet]

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
There is a place called the bear pit for that crap and as Bry Nylon stated keep it on there, surprised at you getting in on the act. People are being killed and you play politics
Surely it's relevant to bring up when there is potentially a conflict of interest in our government's decision making here? I don't think it's playing politics - that would be if you criticised the government of something entirely unrelated to score points, e.g. bringing up a very loose involvement in the Jimmy Saville case when defending yourself about party accusations.

Whether it has impacted anything remains to be seen, but clearly there is or has been close links between our politicians and powerful Russian people and that should be explored.

I do agree we need to stick together in times like this, despite divisions in our country in recent times we have so much more that unites us all compared to the likes of Putin.
Why are European sanctions late and not very strong (source; the Ukrainian President) ? There is a rich and powerful elite in every European country. Perhaps you should explore that in the same terms. The fact that you don’t is the playing politics bit. I think the entire Western world has been too slow in reacting to Russia. That includes the UK. Economics and self preservation are the driving force behind the response. Hopefully that is changing.
I agree with your point, but it's natural to focus on our politicians primarily, as they're the ones that are accountable for us and should be acting in our name. We can't say the same for European countries, or the US.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

European sanctions? Read the post above about the latest French move, also, Germany put their whole energy strategy into crisis by postponing the gas pipe project.

I think we could be doing more with our sanctions and quicker, I suspect they will be ramped up though. There might be a difficult conversation to be had when some boffin from SIS suggests that the Kremlin insider Russian doner in the photo with May needs sanctioning.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Now this has been announced, isn't time that FIFA kicked Russia out of the World Cup?

You’d think so, but there’s nothing FIFA love to do more than to kick the can down the road

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
[emoji2357]
So you’ll silence me for having an opinion of what was posted by Nob and ultimately what I think of him , well done [emoji122][emoji122]

Interpret it how you chose. Please don’t use faux outrage to continue your tedious score settling on here. That is what I’m saying. If you do, you’ll be removed from the thread. If, as a tapatalk user, you decide to come back for more then you’ll be banned from the forum. Of course, none of that needs to happen so it’s up to you really.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
European sanctions? Read the post above about the latest French move, also, Germany put their whole energy strategy into crisis by postponing the gas pipe project.

I think we could be doing more with our sanctions and quicker, I suspect they will be ramped up though. There might be a difficult conversation to be had when some boffin from SIS suggests that the Kremlin insider Russian doner in the photo with May needs sanctioning.

The latest French move is very welcome. However I wouldn’t read too much into the postponement of licensing of Nordstream 2. That project has been on/off for the last couple of years and the German Green Party has been against it from day 1. The Germans have done nothing with this (so far) that might harm their own interests. But then nor have we. The entire Western world needs to step up rather than the usual axe to grind of UK bad/Europe good.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Does anyone on this thread watch RT News from time to time out of interest?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Incredibly brave leadership - the US offered to send in troops to get him out as he’s likely to be killed - he said no, but asked them to send ammo instead so he could carry on fighting. He and Klitchko have both posted defiant videos online again. Moving stuff also coming out of Poland and other neighbours in terms of how their people are flocking to offer rooms, food and drink etc.

If you want to follow Volodymir Zelensky on Twitter or send a message

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497490837244026884

[tweet]1497456125431717888[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here