Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't see it that way. His almighty military wasn't even able to defeat Ukraine, and it's now in tatters. He commanded respect on the world stage and now he commands ridicule. He can't even travel the world anymore.
What you say is true.
What I mean is...Putin enjoys it in his own head. He's an obsessive control freak.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This is what intrigues me. The Russian economy. Those figures - if true - give us a glimpse into how the Russian economy is doing. 9.4% inflation, if true. 19% interest rates. Low take up of those bonds. That's a one-way ticket to bankruptcy, however long it may take.

But he's drafting the budget for the next three years, as if it isn't happening.
Yep, and he's ramping up the attacks in some areas:
1. Russia finally took the Vuhledar settlement today, after trying for two years. Russia lost at least 800 vehicles and uncounted men to do this. Ukraine retreated before being surrounded 👍. 800 vehicles plus loads of troops, to get one small settlement.
2. Zap is being hit heavily daily now, glide bombs I believe (according to friends). That hasn't happened for a while.
3. Secret Squirrel forecasts heavy ground attacks from Russia across much of the front line during the next 30-40 days ... before winter rains start.

It feels like Putin is ramping up everything, including his war budget, in his hope of a Trump victory.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yep, and he's ramping up the attacks in some areas:
1. Russia finally took the Vuhledar settlement today, after trying for two years. Russia lost at least 800 vehicles and uncounted men to do this. Ukraine retreated before being surrounded 👍. 800 vehicles plus loads of troops, to get one small settlement.
2. Zap is being hit heavily daily now, glide bombs I believe (according to friends). That hasn't happened for a while.
3. Secret Squirrel forecasts heavy ground attacks from Russia across much of the front line during the next 30-40 days ... before winter rains start.

It feels like Putin is ramping up everything, including his war budget, in his hope of a Trump victory.

He recently confirmed that his original objectives (to de-nazify and de-militarise Ukraine) would be achieved. To try and achieve it, he is heavily increasing his defence spending, including a new mass mobilisation. It remains to be seen whether he can afford it, or has some plan to replenish the coffers to afford it in the longer term.

The draft increase in defence spending is on the one hand, scary, but on the other hand, a sign that he hasn't done very well so far. It's so difficult to see past all the horror, but every time he bombs a market, or a hospital or residential building, there is the quiet realisation that these are not valid military targets which will degrade Ukraine's ability to defend itself.

Ukraine will keep going. They have far too much to lose. They recently blew up the 'indestructible' arms depot at Toropets. Russia has built a second structure alongside the Kerch bridge. They are worried. Solovyev has asked 'What if they strike the Kremlin again?'. They know what's coming.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He recently confirmed that his original objectives (to de-nazify and de-militarise Ukraine) would be achieved. To try and achieve it, he is heavily increasing his defence spending, including a new mass mobilisation. It remains to be seen whether he can afford it, or has some plan to replenish the coffers to afford it in the longer term.

The draft increase in defence spending is on the one hand, scary, but on the other hand, a sign that he hasn't done very well so far. It's so difficult to see past all the horror, but every time he bombs a market, or a hospital or residential building, there is the quiet realisation that these are not valid military targets which will degrade Ukraine's ability to defend itself.

Ukraine will keep going. They have far too much to lose. They recently blew up the 'indestructible' arms depot at Toropets. Russia has built a second structure alongside the Kerch bridge. They are worried. Solovyev has asked 'What if they strike the Kremlin again?'. They know what's coming.
Yes. That 'attack' on the Kremlin was just a firework compared to what Ukraine could do now (with improved drones) if it chose to.

The new mobilisation is another 133,000 I think, 18-27 year olds. As Joe Blogs says, the remaining men in that age category will be extremely worried, and men in the 28-35 age band are starting to worry. Most of the mobilised men will be taken out of employment in the economy.

I agree that the attacks on non-military targets do not degrade Ukraine's defence ability. It does of course degrade morale in some citizens in the affected areas ( I know you know that).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here