Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Looks like we may find out if the nuclear power station is a real tactical target (control of) or whether that would be a by product of taking the town.
Taking the Kursk NPP would surely be a huge propaganda victory for Ukraine and look terribly weak for Putin.

And Putins options, to attack or destroy his own NPP on his territory would be bleak.

Can only hope Ukraine does so!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Looks like we may find out if the nuclear power station is a real tactical target (control of) or whether that would be a by product of taking the town.
I'm sure it is a real tactical target.

Ukraine has lived under the threat of an 'accident' at the Zap NPP for a long time. Perhaps taking the Kursk NPP is seen as insurance, either against an 'accident', or an actual nuclear attack, as well as a light switch which Ukraine can use to turn the lights off in western Russia.

In addition, I think, I think, the prevailing winds are from the west, meaning that should there be an incident at Kursk NPP, then Moscow would be in the firing line, which I'm sure you'll agree, is a bloody shame.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Option 2?
Yes, option 2 would feel right to me:
- continue holding some Russian land
- continue embarrassment of Putin
- continue diversion of Russian troops
- can provide some artillery and drone cover from Ukrainian territory
- Should inhibit Russian attack options on own territory

I wouldn't see the point of going straight to option 3. Keep it as a fall back if 2 proved too difficult or costly to hold

I don't have a detailed map open so I'm unsure if 2 would mean giving up control of the gas hub, or of potential taking of the nuclear station??

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes, option 2 would feel right to me:
- continue holding some Russian land
- continue embarrassment of Putin
- continue diversion of Russian troops
- can provide some artillery and drone cover from Ukrainian territory
- Should inhibit Russian attack options on own territory

I wouldn't see the point of going straight to option 3. Keep it as a fall back if 2 proved too difficult or costly to hold

I don't have a detailed map open so I'm unsure if 2 would mean giving up control of the gas hub, or of potential taking of the nuclear station??
My instinct would be option 2.

Option 1 is high risk. Putin will throw the kitchen sink at this (assuming he has a kitchen sink left in his kitchen). Option 2 would seem to retain all the benefits of option 1, without risking the whole house. It also, to an extent, occupies Russian forces, but leaves all options open for subsequent offensives.

Option 3 would probably not be that wise, as Putin might/would misread it as weakness.

That said, it's all speculation, which as you know, nobody could ever accuse us of doing on here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What are the 3 options put forward? I can't get the link to twatter

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What are the 3 options put forward? I can't get the link to twatter
Try this Trig. Whole thread in one article.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Try this Trig. Whole thread in one article.

Superb timing. It saved me a whole lot of copying and pasting.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
See below article at 06:26 for Putin trying to pass the blame for the Ukrainian advance into Kursk:

Within that meeting, there's a link to the original Kremlin transcript, published by Putin to 'shift responsibility'. I would stick to the Sky article.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've just become aware of this 'live' real-time interactive map of the war zone.

Zoom in, zoom out, click on each icon, see the news updates as they come in on the right hand side. It seems to be from multiple sources.

e.g. hover over the icon over Kyiv:
'Lithuanian Defence Minister tells Ukrainian President that Russia is moving troops from Kaliningrad to Kursk'

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've just become aware of this 'live' real-time interactive map of the war zone.

Zoom in, zoom out, click on each icon, see the news updates as they come in on the right hand side. It seems to be from multiple sources.

'Lithuanian Defence Minister tells Ukrainian President that Russia is moving troops from Kaliningrad to Kursk'

Jesus wept. I am staggered at the amount of clashes and activity going on. Very disturbing to see this all
(caveat: I don't give a sh*t what happens to the Russian army.)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Jesus wept. I am staggered at the amount of clashes and activity going on. Very disturbing to see this all
(caveat: I don't give a sh*t what happens to the Russian army.)
It's a news aggregator or scraper, so any news that fulfills the criteria will be reported and an icon created.

Not all of it is clashes, and I doubt very much if any of it is verified or fact checked.

Hover over a few icons, and you will see how it works.

For an equivalent for BHAFC, see this link to 'Newsnow Brighton' for any and all news about Brighton. A pinch of salt is often required.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

That's very interesting, thanks, 👍🏼

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Morning all.

I've realised that the interactive map doesn't render on phones, so you will need to use devices with bigger screens to use it.

Explosions overnight in Voronezh, east of Ukraine, and Nizhny Novgorod, east of Moscow. Belgorod has declared a state of emergency, and Moscow has reinforced its defences against sabotage.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here's a screen grab from Denys. I read about and mentioned this a few weeks back... some European countries joined in a 'drone coalition ' to produce for Ukraine. Here's a delivery - go, Latvia👍.
Screenshot_2024-08-14-09-56-47-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Snippets from Denys Davydov yesterday:
1. Video of a Ukrainian jet operating on the border in Sumy. So must have some confidence that local air defense doesn't exist or has been knocked out.
2.' Russian z-bloggers reported that 2000 Russian soldiers have been captured in Kursk region.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here