Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can tell it's not Putin cos of the minor detail on the ear lobe 😉.
I'm waiting for Trump to say he'd have sorted this decades ago.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'll be happier when Daniil Medvedev is barred from playing the international tennis circuit.
Medvedev? To me at least, he has always comes across as a decent bloke, with a nice dry sense of humour, who (unlike other athletes) has never refused to answer a press question about the war and has always promoted peace. He's unlikely to come out blatantly anti Putin, for his own safety, but he has heavily implied enough that he is against the war. Strange take to be angsty about him over others.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Medvedev? To me at least, he has always comes across as a decent bloke, with a nice dry sense of humour, who (unlike other athletes) has never refused to answer a press question about the war and has always promoted peace. He's unlikely to come out blatantly anti Putin, for his own safety, but he has heavily implied enough that he is against the war. Strange take to be angsty about him over others.
I think it is a joke deliberately confusing Daniil and Dmitry :shrug:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Wow. I thought hitting Murmansk was quite an achievement but this is significantly further into Russia (unless it’s just another dropped cigarette).
These distant attacks are capturing our imagination. When I have the time, I will try to find out more about how Ukraine is achieving them. I.e. is it long distance drones, operated remotely from a long distance, or partisan activity much closer to the target.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
WTF is going on?

I've just skimmed through this.

It seems Rolls-Royce, the 'top' outsourcing company outsourced to WM-Reply, who themselves seem to have outsourced work - to Belarussian actors, who were given non-Russian names to appear British.

Where was the project management and governance? Where was the oversight by the MOD?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've just skimmed through this.

It seems Rolls-Royce, the 'top' outsourcing company outsourced to WM-Reply, who themselves seem to have outsourced work - to Belarussian actors, who were given non-Russian names to appear British.

Where was the project management and governance? Where was the oversight by the MOD?
It's bat shit crazy.

Surely for any MOD contract, let alone one involving nuclear weapons, all contracts should prohibit outsourcing.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As an aside, I used to work on MOD contracts for British Aerospace in the mid 1980s. I had to sign the official secrets act, and was warned of the presence of Russians in local pubs in Stevenage.

Were the Belarussians coding our nuclear submarine software, required to sign the official secrets act and avoid Russians?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I'm almost speechless. This is our main, undersea nuclear deterrent, and we outsource the coding to a close ally of Russia???
Should we really be surprised that MOD procurement f***ed up. OK blame Rolls Royce but buck stops with MOD for poor oversight.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
As an aside, I used to work on MOD contracts for British Aerospace in the mid 1980s. I had to sign the official secrets act, and was warned of the presence of Russians in local pubs in Stevenage.

Were the Belarussians coding our nuclear submarine software, required to sign the official secrets act and avoid Russians?
Even though they are best mates with Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here