Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I can't see how the arrival of the much needed weaponry is going to accomplish much more than maintain the current 'status quo'.

November is drawing ever closer and my fear is that Putin will just sit and wait or just commit more human lives that he has no concern about anyway.

After November who knows? I think that's when the emphasis will switch almost entirely to Europe, who haven't been able to provide anything like enough so far
You may well be right if Trump gets in. Europe needs to step up to the plate more.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
You may well be right if Trump gets in. Europe needs to step up to the plate more.
Isn't it the case that Ukraine think what they have been given/promised so far will only maintain the status quo when they really need the tools to drive the Russians back.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I found this quite interesting, an update from the British govt/ MOD on the International Fund for Ukraine (IFU) where the UK is the coordinator of funding contributions from UK , Scandinavia, Netherlands, Australia, NZ, Iceland... IIRC.

So, this is one of the coordinated procurement processes (for ammunition etc) that continues in the background. It's not the only method,and other national processes exist.
It's all rather business like with tenders and offers.
Anyway, it may be of interest, about a 5 minute read.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I found this quite interesting, an update from the British govt/ MOD on the International Fund for Ukraine (IFU) where the UK is the coordinator of funding contributions from UK , Scandinavia, Netherlands, Australia, NZ, Iceland... IIRC.

So, this is one of the coordinated procurement processes (for ammunition etc) that continues in the background. It's not the only method,and other national processes exist.
It's all rather business like with tenders and offers.
Anyway, it may be of interest, about a 5 minute read.

My concern with this is the MOD are historically bad at procurement.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well done Spain... but the EU seriously needs to do something about Hungary, the Putin puppet
The EU simply have to suspend Hungary's membership. Whether they have the balls to do this remains to be seen, but they are desperate not to be seen to be losing members/breaking up, so I have my doubts.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The EU simply have to suspend Hungary's membership. Whether they have the balls to do this remains to be seen, but they are desperate not to be seen to be losing members/breaking up, so I have my doubts.
Yes, something needed.
I'm sure the EU are worried about driving Hungary into Russia's arms, if they suspend membership, but the current situation isn't sustainable, surely.
The EU just isn't functioning on this major major issue.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, something needed.
I'm sure the EU are worried about driving Hungary into Russia's arms, if they suspend membership, but the current situation isn't sustainable, surely.
The EU just isn't functioning on this major major issue.
Bit late to worry about driving Hungary into Russia's arms when Orban has already crawled halfway up Russia's arse!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Bit late to worry about driving Hungary into Russia's arms when Orban has already crawled halfway up Russia's arse!
Halfway up is better than all the way!
The way Orban behaves it's odd he hasn't tried to take Hungary out of NATO.

But maybe that's the plan from Putin... have puppets within NATO and the EU that will disrupt unity. Hungary aren't the only one.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Halfway up is better than all the way!
The way Orban behaves it's odd he hasn't tried to take Hungary out of NATO.

But maybe that's the plan from Putin... have puppets within NATO and the EU that will disrupt unity. Hungary aren't the only one.
I believe many people in Hungary, especially among the young, would like to live in a western style liberal democracy rather than Orban's quasi-kremlin model - getting kicked out of/suspended from the EU might just push things over the edge, resulting in the demise of Orban.

The worry then would be if it went the same way as it did 70 years ago, or in Czechoslovakia in 1968.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I believe many people in Hungary, especially among the young, would like to live in a western style liberal democracy rather than Orban's quasi-kremlin model - getting kicked out of/suspended from the EU might just push things over the edge, resulting in the demise of Orban.

The worry then would be if it went the same way as it did 70 years ago, or in Czechoslovakia in 1968.
Yes I'm sure you're right about the young Hungarian people - in fact quite a number live and work here in Wiltshire.

The Anti-Ukraine-support (pro Kremlin by default) leaders and agitators in Hungary, Serbia, Slovakia, plus Transnistria.... could cause major headaches for the EU and NATO.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think Zelenskiy is touring Europe to reenergize support: commitments from Spain yesterday, now Belgium:
Screenshot_2024-05-28-21-03-34-67_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
As you say, 'if true ' they should be ashamed of themselves. I was so pleased when Cameron told Ukraine and the rest of the world that our long range missiles could be used in a anyway and anywhere Ukraine saw fit.
Yep, me too 👍.
There has to be SOME level of equality in this fight, even if low.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here