Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Horrible sneaky move by Russia this, trying to ensure Ukraine is never peaceful.

I'm not sure that's what it is. If Russia could hold on to the occupied territories, then this is simply populating them to make them part of Russia. If they can't, then it's not hard for Ukraine to send the occupants back to Russia.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I remember much earlier in the war, a report from the Royal United Services Institute, in which it suggested Russia was fighting on a number of fronts, but one axis that wasn't widely recognised in the west, was time.

As well as the near real-time of the invasion and the ground war, it is fighting on a timescale that is so long, that few people realise it is happening.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don't know how it works. Perhaps by the time they get there, they are already committed, with a mortgage etc.

Perhaps the potential buyers are just shown pictures of the shiny new apartment blocks, and not the 90% of the city which is still a wasteland of rubble.

In addition to the (unknown to the buyers) risk of it being in a war zone, they won't be aware of the risk that in the event of Ukraine retaking it, their ownership could become invalid.
Its my wifes city. Mother in law with us is desperate to return "home" too.

What is definitely happening in Mariupol is there are large amounts of ethnic Russians including minority groups like Chechens, Tuvans, Mongols turning up in Mariupol because of salary offers.

Reported that Russia are offering lots of jobs based in Mariupol, with salaries in the region of 2500$ pm, which is anywhere between 5-8x (depending on skills) the normal rate that could be earned in Russia or Ukraine.

It is a form of ethnic cleansing, where they pay way over the odds to lure Russians to Mariupol to fully Russophile the city.

Family members saying there's literally loads of regional Russians turning up.

For Russia its paying OTT wages to ethnically cleanse.

Article a week or so ago, that says if Ukraine doesn't get Mariupol back fairly quickly, within 5 years it will be over 80% ethnic Russians.

Make no mistake, Russia is committing genocide, destroying and banning everything Ukrainain including language, literature and culture with co-ordinated forced Russification.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

What is definitely happening in Mariupol is there are large amounts of ethnic Russians including minority groups like Chechens, Tuvans, Mongols turning up in Mariupol because of salary offers.

Reported that Russia are offering lots of jobs based in Mariupol, with salaries in the region of 2500$ pm, which is anywhere between 5-8x (depending on skills) the normal rate that could be earned in Russia or Ukraine.

It is a form of ethnic cleansing, where they pay way over the odds to lure Russians to Mariupol to fully Russophile the city.

Family members saying there's literally loads of regional Russians turning up because of the salary being offered.

Article a week or so ago, that says if Ukraine doesn't get Mariupol back fairly quickly, within 5 years it will be over 80% ethnic Russians.

Make no mistake, Russia is committing genocide, destroying and banning everything Ukrainain including language, literature and culture with co-ordinated forced Russification.

I'm so sorry to read that.

It must be very difficult for your wife, and for you to see the creep of ethnic cleansing in her home city. I've been aware of the more widely published Russian attempts at ethnic cleansing and genocide (murder of local inhabitants, abduction of children), but not what you describe.

Have you considered communicating this to the BBC? It needs to reach a larger audience.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm so sorry to read that.

It must be very difficult for your wife, and for you to see the creep of ethnic cleansing in her home city. I've been aware of the more widely published Russian attempts at ethnic cleansing and genocide (murder of local inhabitants, abduction of children), but not what you describe.

Have you considered communicating this to the BBC? It needs to reach a larger audience.
No interest in speaking to any journos, though i believe a lot of journalistic organisations are aware of what's happening more generally.

Today I read an account on twitter if true) that in Enerhodar home of the big nuclear power plant, the Russians are stopping people or going into homes to find and destroy Ukrainian passports ad force them to apply for Russian.

What they are doing for sure in occupied territories (first hand info) is linking access to services like medical or pension etc to only Russian passport holders.

So there's many forms of forced russification/ethnic cleansing.

But it's not new, Stalin did it en masse, it's happened in Crimea before and again in 2014, it happened in baltics after WW2.

Its the same patterns repeating. It's what Russia does to try and subvert/colonise.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
But it's not new, Stalin did it en masse, it's happened in Crimea before and again in 2014, it happened in baltics after WW2.

Its the same patterns repeating. It's what Russia does to try and subvert/colonise.
You've hit the nail on the head.

It's what Russia does. Learned behaviour. Lessons learned from the past are repeated over and over again.

Putin loves to quote from history. He won't stop unless he is stopped. Even when he is losing his own war, he still doesn't stop.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
More good news! Ukraine just again hit the Chongar bridge in crimea.

It's one of the 2 main supply routes out of Crimea and into Ukraine and the its the most used Russian route that goes to Melitopol/ Zaporizhia front.

Only way left, unless fixed, is kherson direction, much longer route and in range of himars for most of it, once inside Ukraine.

Excellent attack on Russia logistics.

IMG_20230806_150923_661.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You've hit the nail on the head.

It's what Russia does. Learned behaviour. Lessons learned from the past are repeated over and over again.

Putin loves to quote from history. He won't stop unless he is stopped. Even when he is losing his own war, he still doesn't stop.
Klingons were apparently an exaggerated view of Russians. Turns out real Russians are actually far worse than Klingons.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Family members saying there's literally loads of regional Russians turning up.

Exactly this. 5-8x salary is such a carrot that certain groups of Russians (especially lower paid ethnics from the provinces) won't hesitate to move to Mariupol, and they'll ignore the bombed buildings as they are employed to rebuild anyway.
More than a year ago my wife's parents village, just north of Melitopol, had the Russia soldiers enforcing Russian curriculum in the village school. Our friend refused and resigned - a few days later, a knock at the door, a new village official and a guy with a Kalashnikov...and she had to go back ☹️. On each floor of the school armed soldiers patrol to ensure Russian curriculum...the kids in there are aged 7-16. And this is a lucky village...few if any atrocities so far, but they are becoming Russified (passports, currency, TV, access to social programs etc).

papachris

.....................if you were allowed to!

Horrible sneaky move by Russia this, trying to ensure Ukraine is never peaceful.
It's straight out of the former Soviet Union book. The baltic states all have significant Russian populations. Many of the natives were sent to siberia never to be seen again during the 50 year soviet occupation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It's one of the 2 main supply routes out of Crimea and into Ukraine and the its the most used Russian route that goes to Melitopol/ Zaporizhia front.

Only way left, unless fixed, is kherson direction, much longer route and in range of himars for most of it, once inside Ukraine.

View attachment 164538
Remember that Ukraine warned that ports in the Black Sea and vessels entering and leaving them will be considered legitimate targets later this month....I think Ukraine have the ability and intention to cut the Kerch Bridge again and isolate Crimea from resupply...Twitter posts suggest already there is limited vehicle fuel on sale in Crimea. Ukraine is cutting off Crimea and making it untenable.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Reading todays posts on this thread reminds me again that we (aka...me!) need to keep a balanced view.
LOTS of shit from Russia has already happened, it's done: fast initial advances in the south and east, Mariupol, nuclear station, Kherson dam etc etc. Russification has followed because they currently control those areas.
BUT daily news favours Ukraine IMO: small advances, pinpoint attacks on Russian supplies and infrastructure, frequent attacks on Crimea and their fleet.
It feels slow, but Russia is on the back foot. If allies stay strong with supplies then Ukraine can slowly regain the losses.
(this post is aimed at myself primarily).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Here's Robert Fox, Defence Editor of the Standard from 11 days ago:

Summary:

Ukraine is cutting off Crimea, so that Russians will leave. Insurgency will follow.
Peace will look like a demilitarised zone in the east of the Donbas. This does not equate to victory for Putin.
Arab commentary is turning away from Russia.
Peace talks are taking place, with Norway and Saudi leading the way.
Rebuilding Ukraine will cost billions, (and that's just clearing the landmines) but could be helped by the Norwegian and Saudi sovereign wealth funds.
China is more concerned about the war than many realise. It could play a leading role in the peace.
Rather than have a heavily armed country on the margin, Ukraine should be allowed accession to NATO.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada

View attachment 164538
Looks like a fire burning below as well... did they hit the gas (assumed) pipeline in the photo as well?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here's Robert Fox, Defence Editor of the Standard from 11 days ago:

Summary:

Ukraine is cutting off Crimea, so that Russians will leave. Insurgency will follow.
Peace will look like a demilitarised zone in the east of the Donbas. This does not equate to victory for Putin.
Arab commentary is turning away from Russia.
Peace talks are taking place, with Norway and Saudi leading the way.
Rebuilding Ukraine will cost billions, (and that's just clearing the landmines) but could be helped by the Norwegian and Saudi sovereign wealth funds.
China is more concerned about the war than many realise. It could play a leading role in the peace.
Rather than have a heavily armed country on the margin, Ukraine should be allowed accession to NATO.

It's an interesting video... I'm halfway through !

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The
Worrying 😟

Positive 😃

The Replies to the first tweet are good:
- Russia makes lots of ground in south and east during early weeks of invasion
- allied supply of weaponry and belief in Ukraine's ability to fight the invasion are are slow...
- allows Russia to dig in with deep levels of fortification
- Ukraine finally has sufficient weaponry (and trained troops) to start a counteroffensive...
- they make 'slow' progress as they do not have air superiority and Russia has multiple supply line options
- Ukraine keeps plugging away intelligently...
- and I hope, think, 🤞, 🙏 we'll see something that looks like a breakthrough soon.
It's that horrible word 'slow' isn't it - it has such negative connotations. But considering their starting point, I think most of us will agree that Ukraine is making fantastic progress 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here