Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As in again, since this morning?

Ahh, as in should hit it again?
Best let them repair it first, followed by a 'Putin' driving over it for the domestic Russian audience. Then hit it again.

Russians will feel less and less safe in Crimea. Hopefully they will leave of their own accord, including the military.
Better that than Ukraine having to deal with false insurgency from Russian-backed rebels for years to come. They also won't have to process thousands of POWs.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Best let them repair it first, followed by a 'Putin' driving over it for the domestic Russian audience. Then hit it again.

Russians will feel less and less safe in Crimea. Hopefully they will leave of their own accord, including the military.
Better that than Ukraine having to deal with false insurgency from Russian-backed rebels for years to come. They also won't have to process thousands of POWs.
"A Putin" lol.

With "The Putin" safely in his bunker.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
No. They'll be saying $500 million job, while planning to spend just a handful of rubles actually doing the work.
Not that I think we'll hear about it, but I expect them to find that the bridge as built bears only an external resemblance to the bridge as designed and recorded on any drawings they haven't already chucked out/lost.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Not that I think we'll hear about it, but I expect them to find that the bridge as built bears only an external resemblance to the bridge as designed and recorded on any drawings they haven't already chucked out/lost.
Bit like the Mafia built bridges in Italy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Kerch Bridge on fire
Slap head Putin’s terrified

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The crucial reason that the bridge is a target, is not just to troll Putin (though there is clearly a side benefit there), it's to hamper logistics.

The rail bridge is still apparently operational, and most logistics will come by rail so it needs to be hit again. The great news is that Russian air / naval defences were unable to stop this attack or the one before. There is a lot of bridge to defend at 12 miles, so I have every confidence that Ukraine can permanently disable it.

This will mean that all troops, ammo and weapons will have to go overland, with Tokmak being the main route, which is only 30km from the current front. A breakthrough to this area in effect encircles the entire southern force

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The crucial reason that the bridge is a target, is not just to troll Putin (though there is clearly a side benefit there), it's to hamper logistics.

The rail bridge is still apparently operational, and most logistics will come by rail so it needs to be hit again. The great news is that Russian air / naval defences were unable to stop this attack or the one before. There is a lot of bridge to defend at 12 miles, so I have every confidence that Ukraine can permanently disable it.

This will mean that all troops, ammo and weapons will have to go overland, with Tokmak being the main route, which is only 30km from the current front. A breakthrough to this area in effect encircles the entire southern force
Agree on Kerch bridge, but there's so many benefits to Ukraine. Logistics first but also fear into the civillian population and another embarrassing black eye for Putin.

As for Tokmak, it's definitely a Ukrainian target and a key logistics hub for Russia, and to cut Tokmak off, will starve Russia of ability to support its front lines in Zaporizhia a bit further North, but the equipment can still cone from the Mariupol direction, further south along the M14 via Berdyansk/Melitopol (which is a better road) before moving North. Cutting the land bridge is still a must if possible, but to at least have effective fire control over hardware logistics routes (which they don't via Kerch bridge) is a huge bonus.

I've done that Mariupol to Zaporizhia trip by car 3x and been via both Tokmak and M14. Feels so weird in this context of fire control.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_151919_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_151919_Maps.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 51

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Terrorist Igor Ghirkin predicting conflict between Turkiye and Russia.

Today Russia pulled out of the grain deal and says it will sink any boats, not authorised by it carrying Ukrainain grain, and Turkey says grain shipments will continue and Turkish Navy will guarantee their protection.

Girkin goes a bit further...... could be very interesting and certainly welcome if Erdoğan fully bins off Putin and sides with Ukraine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here