Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
If Russia lose in the short term, then Ukraine can join Nato and there's a lot less concern longer term. If Russia had another evil dictator, that's not necessarily a huge issue for other countries, as Russia won't have the ability to fight them.
Apart from those 4,000 nukes…..

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Nukes aren’t usable by any nation, they’re just part of a potentially world destroying Mexican standoff. It would be MAD, and yes I do mean Mutually Assured Destruction.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Yes of course they will

go on?

Despite Russia's in-fighting, no one is going to be invading them.
I'm quite sure you're intelligent enough to know exactly what I'm implying and I therefore don't need to spell it out to you.
If you agree or disagree then just say so.
If you're not fussed either way then just move on.
Are you a school teacher by profession?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know that to an extent “my enemy’s enemy is my friend” and I think Prigozhin is pragmatic enough to make concessions for peace, as he’ll have enough to deal with internally in the short term. But there are no guarantees.

My background anxiety is that instead he persists with the conflict, and there’s a renewed focus from Russia’s troops brought from suddenly having a leadership that isn’t so poorly informed and detached from the reality of the conflict.

While it's not difficult to imagine the motivation for someone like Prigozhin to wage a more effective war, first he needs to topple Putin and take over the entire Russian army, without much loss of life (ie, keeping the Russian military intact). If he can do that, then I'd agree that it would be a concern. But is that a realistic outcome? Putin's entire army abandoning him without a fight?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm quite sure you're intelligent enough to know exactly what I'm implying and I therefore don't need to spell it out to you.

Nope, it appears I'm not. Could you spell it out please.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Regardless of what happens, Russia will still have those nukes, and like China and the US, they will still be capable of pretty much ending the human race. If that's what their leader wants, then yes, that can happen. That will always be the case. But if Prigozhin becomes the leader of Russia (basically the best job in the world for a Russian) why would he then want to end it all? That doesn't make sense.

What would make sense, is any ambition to take over Ukraine etc, but he wouldn't be able to do that with 4,000 nukes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hopefully the Russian army won’t capitulate immediately to the Wagner group and they can fight each other, in Russia, for the next few months, allowing Ukraine to drive out the Russian army from their country.
Indeed, that is the ideal scenario.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The issue is this situation is not black and white. There’s a thousand different outcomes to this

I've suggested that Russias invasion of Ukraine either ends with Russia keeping part of Ukraine (a Russian victory) or Russia being kicked out of Ukraine (a Ukrainian victory). What would you say are third and fourth possible outcome? All out nuclear war maybe, and what else?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Nope, it appears I'm not. Could you spell it out please.
Yet your previous reply of :
"Despite Russia's in-fighting, no one is going to be invading them."
implies you are.
No need to be deliberately obtuse. Go and be smart to someone else. Thanks.

And just for the record, I think China could decide to dip their toe in Russian waters should this get really messy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the best close season I can remember.

I know what you mean (the most recent news is good) although obviously there's still a lot of concern, and a close season without war would be preferable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yet your previous reply of :
"Despite Russia's in-fighting, no one is going to be invading them."
implies you are.

I posted that and you didn't reply to it, suggesting that that wasn't what you meant. There is no way that China invades Russia - that would unite the whole of Russia and they would threaten (and mean it) China with nukes.

No need to be deliberately obtuse. Go and be smart to someone else. Thanks.

I was not being obtuse, you're mistaken and offensive.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I know what you mean (the most recent news is good) although obviously there's still a lot of concern, and a close season without war would be preferable.
All of that.

I think it is good news. It will occupy Putin's mind, lose some or many pro-war troops. It may give Ukraine the opportunity to take back whole swathes of land with little resistance and loss.
Whoever wins the Putin/Prigozhin challenge, Russia will be weaker, which is also a good thing. If Prigozhin wins, having outed the war as a sham, I assume he can't then continue with it. Can he?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Part of me cant help thinking this is all planned and Putin's way of saving face while bringing it to a close. He could withdraw all his forces from Ukraine to wipe out Wagner and protect the motherland. There would be a significant loss of life among Russian Army and Wagner but he's shown he doesn't give two hoots about that.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If Russia lose in the short term, then Ukraine can join Nato and there's a lot less concern longer term. If Russia had another evil dictator, that's not necessarily a huge issue for other countries, as Russia won't have the ability to fight them.
There may be only a VERY brief window for Ukraine to join NATO ... before the next war mongering idiot takes conttol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here