Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Yoda

English & European

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nuclear threats are aimed at undermining popular support for Western Governments to aid Ukraine militarily. It will not work well in Europe, but may have an effect on Americans, where they have twats like Tucker Carlson and other commentators, building that propaganda up, and arguing against support for Ukraine, that it is just democrats trying to get back at Putin for aiding Trumps campaign in 2016, which they also try to claim didn't happen, no evidence for it apparently, as opposed to all the evidence they say exists, but no one has seen, that Trump was robbed at the last election.

If we cannot stand against Russia when we feel it is right to do so, because of their nuclear capability, then we are saying that we don't believe that our nuclear deterrent is an effective deterrent, and we might as well not have it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think that to end the war we need to up sanctions, as much as weaponry. We (UK and EU) should look at countries to make payments for energy to an escrow account that Russia will not receive until it withdraws troops from Ukraine. When troops leave, Russia gets it's money, minus deductions for rebuilding Ukrainian infrastructure, though those deductions might need to be relatively small and ongoing, so as not to cripple Russia after it has ceased hostilities. The more they destroy cities, the greater loss to Russian future income.
Russia may decide to try and sell it's resources elsewhere, but it is not so easy, capacity to store or use oil or Gas elsewhere is limited, even if he has a willing buyer, they may just not be able to take it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that to end the war we need to up sanctions, as much as weaponry.
If possible, yes.

We (UK and EU) should look at countries to make payments for energy to an escrow account that Russia will not receive until it withdraws troops from Ukraine. When troops leave, Russia gets it's money, minus deductions for rebuilding Ukrainian infrastructure, though those deductions might need to be relatively small and ongoing, so as not to cripple Russia after it has ceased hostilities.
Unfortunately, that's unrealistic. Russia would not agree to it, they'd simply stop supplying the energy. I'm sure that works for you, but I don't think it works for the likes of Germany.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think that to end the war we need to up sanctions, as much as weaponry. We (UK and EU) should look at countries to make payments for energy to an escrow account that Russia will not receive until it withdraws troops from Ukraine. When troops leave, Russia gets it's money, minus deductions for rebuilding Ukrainian infrastructure, though those deductions might need to be relatively small and ongoing, so as not to cripple Russia after it has ceased hostilities. The more they destroy cities, the greater loss to Russian future income.
Russia may decide to try and sell it's resources elsewhere, but it is not so easy, capacity to store or use oil or Gas elsewhere is limited, even if he has a willing buyer, they may just not be able to take it.
Russia ideally also needs to extradite soldiers with cases against them for war crimes for trial in The Hague as part of any deal to lift some of the sanctions.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Russia ideally also needs to extradite soldiers with cases against them for war crimes for trial in The Hague as part of any deal to lift some of the sanctions.

Never going to happen, ever.

They would lose to much face, it is tantamount to admitting to war crimes, the Russian public would start to ask questions, Putin will not let that happen.

This is a special operation remember

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Putin must die. They will get him. He will never be allowed to live after this. Sooner rather than later with any luck.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Never going to happen, ever.

They would lose to much face, it is tantamount to admitting to war crimes, the Russian public would start to ask questions, Putin will not let that happen.

This is a special operation remember
Evidence is being collected, and cases are being built. At least 1 of the accused is publicly named.

Lifting some ( not all ) of the sanctions must be linked to a list of the accused undergoing trials for their alleged deeds.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In that case I'd suggest some of the sanctions are never going to end, ever.

The only way that could happen is a total regime change at the top, which is highly unlikely as too many folk have too much to lose if Putin and his gangster cronies fall.

You will only swap one mad man for another at this present time.

We need a mass willingness of the Russian public to want regime change, and although they are being fed state propaganda, the sad thing is that is not evident yet.

The Russian people are fiercely nationalistic, that will take years of progress they can see to change.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Putin must die. They will get him. He will never be allowed to live after this. Sooner rather than later with any luck.

Must but won't. At least not by assassination.

We need to get real and deal with the fact that he's likely to be around for a good while longer, and even after he dies, his successor will be hand picked and no better

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The only way that could happen is a total regime change at the top, which is highly unlikely as too many folk have too much to lose if Putin and his gangster cronies fall.

We need a mass willingness of the Russian public to want regime change, and although they are being fed state propaganda, the sad thing is that is not evident yet.

The Russian people are fiercely nationalistic, that will take years of progress they can see to change.
The criminals don't get to walk away free from War Crimes in Bucha etc.

Some sanction lifting can be linked to appearances in court for the alleged perpetrators.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Some sanction lifting can be linked to appearances in court for the alleged perpetrators.

There is no chance whatsoever that The Kremlin will agree to this, sanctions lifting or not.

Soldiers appearing would be able to plausibly and truthfully say that their actions were approved from the very top.

Those crimes will go unpunished

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure it's that unlikely in the next few years. His health is also quite questionable.

Well that is certainly another worry.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is no chance whatsoever that The Kremlin will agree to this, sanctions lifting or not.

Soldiers appearing would be able to plausibly and truthfully say that their actions were approved from the very top.

I agree with your point, except that soldiers saying that they were following orders will not count as an excuse. 'I was ordered to rape and torture people, and fire at civilians'. Too bad.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

In an ideal world yes, but this is not an ideal world, you don't want to hear this but, unless the entire regime falls in Russia, these crimes will go unpunished, there is no, absolutely no way Russia will admit to any wrong doing.
The only people involved in this that could possible be used as scapegoats by the Russians would be Chechen's or other outside mercenaries used by them.

With that excuse Russians can still stand tall as honourable soldiers on a special mission, to save Russia against Nazi extremists.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

All I'm saying is that some sanctions need to be tied to war criminals facing trial ( obviously Putin going on trial is a step too far ).

Then it would simply be that those sanctions don't get lifted without the trials.

Whether the Kremlin agrees or not - the subset of sanctions should be linked to trials of Bucha perpetrators etc. The Kremlin gets no say in the linking - the say is whether they want those particular sanctions lifted or not.

I was under the impression "Just following orders" is no valid defence for war crimes ???

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All I'm saying is that some sanctions need to be tied to war criminals facing trial ( obviously Putin on trial is a step too far ).

Then it would simply be that those sanctions don't get lifted without the trials.

Whether the Kremlin agrees or not - the subset of sanctions should be linked. The Kremlin gets no say.

I get your passion and if I am correct you have close family involved in this terrible event, but you must also see the Kremlin cannot be seen to back down, and unfortunately huge amounts of money and products we all use are at stake and concessions will be made to the detriment of the poor Ukrainian people who are suffering to bring Russia back in line and under control.

The only other way is total war with Russia, them falling and then we could go after war criminals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here