Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the invasion has been so bungled ( compared to expectation ) that we can now rule out it expanding to the Baltics, Georgia and Moldova. Possibly Western Ukraine escapes, Odessa in the balance, and Mariupol sadly conquered.

Just my current assessment, we shall see.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Regardless of how much anyone might detest Patil, the Government, the Tories or whatever, there is a balance to be considered - yes, we all want to help Ukrainian refugees, but sadly in the world we live in there are malevolent groups and organisations who will not hesitate to take advantage of refugee crises to 'mingle' and infiltrate to cause mischief. Some security checks are needed - so long as they are quick and fair, with the presumption of innocence unless clearly otherwise as the starting point.

Have a little think about what is happening and then have a read of your post again.

You do understand that it is very different to 24 hrs ago, 48 hrs ago, 120 hrs ago ???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What, 5M rubles each?

I do believe the value of the ruble is plummetting, but surely it hasn't sunk to say, two million to the dollar, has it? Otherwise I'm calling bollox.

5m rubles right now is about $50,000 according to Google (just a tick over £34,000)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sanctions are the way to go.
Putin will be astonished the way the Capitalist West had rallied behind Ukraine, quite honestly, I’m pretty astonished myself.
The mass ranks of the oligarchs will not like the monetary price they are having to pay, even if Russia pulls out of Ukraine tomorrow, sanctions would stay until Putin goes.

Has Switzerland ever applied sanctions to any Sovereign nation? For the gnomes of Zurich to be prepared to lose money for a principle, it must surely be a first.

The oligarchs hold the key.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Make contacts with senior government figures or even oligarchs, cut deals for immunity, help them out if they turn on him.

When they start turning on themselves it will get messy. Give those around Putin the off ramp, not Putin

Yep. Plenty of Russians have come over before. No reason they wouldn’t.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
No.
Poor take.

I probably should have said, the AVERAGE Russian doesnt know or refuses to believe whats going on.
Call me wrong if you like.
My Wife is Ukrainian. her family live mainly in Odessa and the area around. She also has many friends in other parts of Ukraine and some in Russia too. She speaks or messages a lot of them daily.
Hell, most of her family are Pro Russian and refuse to believe what is happening, although I think today that it is starting to sink in. She speaks to them every day. They say things like, we didnt go out today, because of covid etc refusing to believe that Putin would do anything that is not in their best interests.
You have no idea of the propoganda that has existed and exists in that part of the world.
Her Uncle used to be the minister for agriculture of the government of Transnistria. He is a great guy, but dont tell him that Putin would do anything to hurt them.
Yes, there have been demonstrations in cities in Russia. And my wife is certainly hopeful that these can help bring an end to the situation.There is a very small minority of people who dont rely on state run television for their opinion of the world, but it is a small minority. Normally the 20 and 30yos that have access to other media.
But yeah, as is normal for NSC, youve read a few threads, watched a few youtube videos and think you are experts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What, 5M rubles each?

I do believe the value of the ruble is plummetting, but surely it hasn't sunk to say, two million to the dollar, has it? Otherwise I'm calling bollox.

You think a blue ticked Twitter account belonging to the Ukrainian government is being faked, based on some maths that you did?

Or you think that when it happens they're going to pull out the ghost of Jeremy Beedle and tell the poor bloke "only kidding mate, it's a life sentence for you in Odessa's finest penitentiary"?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I mean, when you think about it, Vladimir Putin has achieved some incredible things many of us would have thought impossible

- He's turned a Ukranian president most in the west thought was a bit of a lightweight into arguably the most inspirational global leader this century so far
- He's bought the UK and the EU back closer together after years of bickering
- He's managed to unite both sides of the aisle in the US Senate behind the current President
- He's managed to almost entirely destroy the fearsome reputation of the Russian military
- He's managed to force the German, Swedish and Swiss governments into abandoning decades (and in one case centuries) of neutrality to turn against him
- He's utterly wrecked his own country's economy
- He's managed to fall out with China
- He's forced the Taliban into issuing a statement saying basically "um, guys...chill?"
- He's made FIFA, the FIA and UEFA actually do something worthwhile

Really, it's remarkable. If you'd said this a week ago I'd have never, ever believed this was possible.

Vlad, unlucky tonight, but let’s have a look at your best moments

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sanctions are the way to go.
Putin will be astonished the way the Capitalist West had rallied behind Ukraine, quite honestly, I’m pretty astonished myself.
The mass ranks of the oligarchs will not like the monetary price they are having to pay, even if Russia pulls out of Ukraine tomorrow, sanctions would stay until Putin goes.

Has Switzerland ever applied sanctions to any Sovereign nation? For the gnomes of Zurich to be prepared to lose money for a principle, it must surely be a first.

The oligarchs hold the key.

Who will be the Brutus?

Destined to be slaughtered soon after taking the Russian Caesar’s life. Rather like sticking a hypothetical knife in Thatcher or Johnson’s back.

Perhaps more importantly, who would be the Mark Anthony character? They’ll be the new Major player but have they emerged yet? (Abramovich???).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I do wish Ross Adkins would stop giving his interjected opinion when reporting on what the Russians are saying. As hard as it is, the BBC is not there to stir up feelings.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I mean, when you think about it, Vladimir Putin has achieved some incredible things many of us would have thought impossible

- He's bought the UK and the EU back closer together after years of bickering
- He's managed to unite both sides of the aisle in the US Senate behind the current President.

Really, it's remarkable. If you'd said this a week ago I'd have never, ever believed this was possible.

Having spent millions and millions of roubles on pro-Brexit and pro-Trump propaganda in a hugely successful (up until now) campaign of the divide and conquer of his two biggest western threats resulting in probably the worst US President/UK PM of all time, he’s just thrown most of that advantage away! What an idiot!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just seen on the BBC news the Ukrainian guys in London that have bought/been given a load of army surplus gear and are heading off to Ukraine to fight, along with a British dental nurse who was once in the army cadets. Incredible. God speed.

I thought the Turkish were looking after the Root Canal?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
You think a blue ticked Twitter account belonging to the Ukrainian government is being faked, based on some maths that you did?

Or you think that when it happens they're going to pull out the ghost of Jeremy Beedle and tell the poor bloke "only kidding mate, it's a life sentence for you in Odessa's finest penitentiary"?

Do you accept though that the offer exceeds £250?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
From the Grauniad:

Several presidents of EU member states have published an open letter calling for Ukraine’s swift candidacy into the EU.

The letter reads as follows:

We, the Presidents of the EU member states: the Republic of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, the Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Republic of Poland, the Slovak Republic, and the Republic of Slovenia strongly believe that Ukraine deserves receiving an immediate EU accession perspective.

Therefore, we call on the EU Member States to consolidate highest political support to Ukraine and enable the EU institutions to conduct steps to immediately grant Ukraine a EU candidate country status and open the process of negotiations.

In this critical moment, we reiterate our full solidarity with Ukraine and its People.

The open letter follows an appeal earlier today from Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelenskiy for Ukraine to be granted EU membership immediately under a special procedure, with Ukraine formally applying for membership.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What, 5M rubles each?

I thought its real mate, thats a retweet, its the Ukraine defence minister who tweeted it first GT, its real.

Now looking at it, its not blue ticked maybe its fake!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have a little think about what is happening and then have a read of your post again.

I have, and I stand by it. Yes, rush through helpng the refugees, but still exercise sensible precautions. If you believe that every single person who presents themselves as a bona fide Ukrainian refugee actually is a bona fide Ukranian refugee, you are well meaning but incredbly gullible and niaive. A vast majority will be, of course, but I still hope our authorities will be watching as diligently as possible for the very few rogue ones that might not be quite so genuine.

Whether you like it or believe it or not, there are those out there - some even secretly sponsored by governments - who want to harm this country; Putin openly is trying to destabilise the west, including us. Remember Salisbury.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think the invasion has been so bungled ( compared to expectation ) that we can now rule out it expanding to the Baltics, Georgia and Moldova. Possibly Western Ukraine escapes, Odessa in the balance, and Mariupol sadly conquered.

Just my current assessment, we shall see.

do we know how moldova has aligned itself, if anything?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here