Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Slade's Greatest Achievement?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm thinking Russell Slade's greatest achievement isn't getting us out of the relegation zone when we were eight points from safety and only had two games in hand. I'm thinking it isn't that he got a team of underachievers to actually play as well as they have been recently.

I think it is the way he has united the fans.

Ever since McGhee the fans have been divided.

Some wanted McGhee gone and blamed him for our failure to push on in the championship, I myself never took to him because when Coppell left we were a point clear at the top of the division, and McGhee needed the play offs to get us up, so I always saw his first season as not screwing up too badly more than a roaring success. Others felt differently, saw him as a quality manager we should be thankful for him slumming with us, that he was shafted by the board not funding squad building and that's why we went down.

Half the fans wanted him gone, half wanted him to be given a chance to take us back up. But he wasn't given that chance.

Some fans were then bitter and resented Dean Wilkins because he took McGhee's job and didn't exactly set a blaze through the path of opposition as we pushed up the table. Not even sure he pushed up the table.

Others were glad to see the back of McGhee, who never really saw us as his team, he was just here to put himself in the shop window, etc. and now he's replaced by an albion legend, a man who bleeds blue and white.

Then fans were seemingly split between those that supported Wilkins, saw a work in a progress a manage developing and improving with experience moulding a team that was developing and improving with experience.

The others saw an inexperienced man, put out a team that couldn't play entertain football.

There are fans that focus on the low attendances and losing run mid-season, others focus on the board's/DK's negotiations with several key players ripping the heart out of the squad needing dean to rebuild the squad, which he did quite successfully. Some focus on the 7th place finish, ahead of 18 other teams, others focus on the 7 point gap from the play offs.

Then he gets replaced by Micky and the divide continues.

Some fans feel Wilkins was shafted, pointing to the 7th place finish, the two play off challenging squads, the clear improvement in a team full of young, local talent.

Others are ecstatic to have Albion legend, man who bleeds blue and white, man who came to many marches, Micky back at the helm, good times will be back.

The former group notice we don't have the same micky, they point to his lack of sustained fair success (by fair I mean his promotion with leicester was aided by premiership stars, premiership funding, etc.), they poiint to him walking out on us before, "never go back" "it's alan mullery mk2!" etc.

His results led to splits in the fans, some adamant he would turn it around, "look at what he did before", others pointing to difference in situations, in squads "he doesn't have his core players/zamora this time" pointing to his new mellow persona.

Russell Slade came in. There was a split, but in the last few weeks he has silenced his critics, the ones that are still waiting for him to mess up are keeping respectfully silent, others have been convinced by his latest run of results now he has settled in. He has the passion of Micky part one, he has the players playing for him in the way Wilkins did. He has us winning, and has managed to get us out of the relegation zone and put survival in our own hands.

I believe we've all been behind the team, just the fans haven't been united, because our disagreements over managers have led to grouping in the fanbase, further exacerbated by a board that has been less open with the fans at a time when results on the pitch leave the fans demanding more answers, where the silence has been filled with rumours, innuendos, supposed leaks etc. causing the fans to argue further, what is fact, what is fiction, where is the line - who far does "saving the club" stretch before mistakes/wrong doing/"ego-driven" behaviour becomes unacceptable? Different fans have different limits, which, like the manager situation, has led to many splits.

Russell seems to have stopped that, or at least has put it on hold. The fans have sold out Withdean for a league game against stockport. And we are all together, behind the team.

For me, that is his greatest achievement.

NB This isn't meant to be a discussion on the merits of previous managers, the comments are meant to illustrate the views of various groups of fans and I don't expect people to agree with every assessment, it is for discriptive purposes only and not to start a debate, for example, on whether McGhee got a fair shake or if Dean should have stayed, whther Knight should step down etc.
And the "Half the fans" isn't meant as an accurate representation of precise numbers.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Slade has a visible passion for his job, which has probably not been seen since Micky left us first time. I agree with everything you say.

Slade was someone that no one had really heard of, as was Gannon. BUt Slade has shown an abundance of enthusiasm and passion for such a difficult job, that he has become lovable amongst the fans.

He was helped tremendously by that one photo at Leyton Orient, which gave him instant iconic status, and from there on in he has never looked back and made this bunch of players play like we know they can

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Completely agree with all of you the man is a ledgend and has got the best out of the player and the fans, esphecially Cox who had been inconisitent all season until Slade came along, Hart, Owusu and Virgo (actually playing him in his prefered position commanding the back, esphescially standing out against Bristol Rovers as Captain).

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
NB This isn't meant to be a discussion on the merits of previous managers, the comments are meant to illustrate the views of various groups of fans and I don't expect people to agree with every assessment, it is for discriptive purposes only and not to start a debate, for example, on whether McGhee got a fair shake or if Dean should have stayed, whther Knight should step down etc.
And the "Half the fans" isn't meant as an accurate representation of precise numbers.

In addition your home may be repossessed if you fail to keep up repayments.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
İbrahim Tatlıses;2916805 said:
The success has united the fans, not the manager. Think of any successful point in recent Albion history and you will remember this feeling of unity.

However if you think of any less successful times there will be a clear division between the pessimists and the optimists.

If we all goes well and we stay up, then Slade experiences a Gritt-style flop just watch the fans divide again. Fickle as f*** football fans are.

I see your point, but this success is relative. We are fighting a relegation, is that generally considered success?

-Compared to earlier this season, it is a success.
-Compared to a couple of points of last season where we were at the very least, in the hunt for a play off spot, the fans were split.

Last season, based on league tables, was much more successful than this one, yet the split existed.

Either way, the 'success' has come under Slade, so it is still his achievement to claim credit for, imo.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I see your point, but this success is relative. We are fighting a relegation, is that generally considered success?

-Compared to earlier this season, it is a success.
-Compared to a couple of points of last season where we were at the very least, in the hunt for a play off spot, the fans were split.

Last season, based on league tables, was much more successful than this one, yet the split existed.

Either way, the 'success' has come under Slade, so it is still his achievement to claim credit for, imo.
Both that and your original post are true, but Mr IT has a point as well. If we struggle next year (and regardless of the division people will expect us to be challenging at the top end) the old arguments will start again:
"Regardless of what he's done in the past he's been a disaster this season. Sack him now and give the new man time to save our season, we deserve better than this and we need to be in the Championship for Falmer."
"No, give him time, he hasn't been here for a year yet and we can't go on sacking managers every time they don't meet our lofty and possible unrealistic expectations."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Both that and your original post are true, but Mr IT has a point as well. If we struggle next year (and regardless of the division people will expect us to be challenging at the top end) the old arguments will start again:
"Regardless of what he's done in the past he's been a disaster this season. Sack him now and give the new man time to save our season, we deserve better than this and we need to be in the Championship for Falmer."
"No, give him time, he hasn't been here for a year yet and we can't go on sacking managers every time they don't meet our lofty and possible unrealistic expectations."

True, but it's not going to be an issue, we're gonna piss the division next year, whichever we're in ;)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm thinking Russell Slade's greatest achievement isn't getting us out of the relegation zone when we were eight points from safety and only had two games in hand. I'm thinking it isn't that he got a team of underachievers to actually play as well as they have been recently.

I think it is the way he has united the fans.

Completely agree :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I completely agree with your post there, Acker79. The irony is that this was not Russell Slade's primary goal that he set out to achieve - more a happy bi-product of his work.

One set of circumstances (a more confident team) had led to another (better, happier crowds) which in turn led to another (a better team with good results) which led to united fans.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You don't seem to mention that McGhee kept us in the Championship so we had two season there. Clearly, based on our circumstances, we were boxing above our weight.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Good post and all true stuff. I always remember liking the way Yeovil were set up a few years back with John Paul Kalala running their midfield. He has since gone on to be dead wood but I always got the impression Yeovil were a very good outfit under Slade which is why I was so annoyed that we wasted a few weeks chasing round Ince and Gannon when slade was ready and raring to go. Give that man a two year contract.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
You don't seem to mention that McGhee kept us in the Championship so we had two season there. Clearly, based on our circumstances, we were boxing above our weight.

I dont think the merits/acheivements of previous managers was the point of the thread it was more aimed at how well baldy has done since he got here.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd say that's pretty accurate.

I'd also go along with what I.T said about sucess uniting the fans, the sucess of course has been caused by the manager so to me they are one and the same thing. I just hope people don't find some excuse to get on Slade's back as soon as we have a bad patch, which we inevitably will at some point.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I agree with everything you said, its great to be fully united behind one man again, the only possible problem could be the boards opnions differing from ours

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Pulling a woman and fathering children. Come on, he's no oil painting is he? :jester:

:laugh: Harsh but fair.

His greatest achievement has to be getting us scoring goals! :ohmy: I'm so unused to seeing "Brighton 2" almost every game! We even helped ourselves to a 5 and a 3! :bowdown:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Russell Slade seems to have the drive of the younger Micky, the steadiness of McGhee, the tactical awareness of Steve Coppell and the coaching knowledge of DW. Contract NOW !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here