Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Slades Coming To Town

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How is remembering a man who saved us from a position of 8 points behind with 8 games to go in a fond and affectionate way "exaggerating" his achievement?

I'm not saying don't remember him, and if I go to the game I will certainly give him a clap and a cheer. But LEGEND as you posted? No.

He was our manager for less than 8 months, and yeah okay he kept us up, but he can't in my mind ever be described as a legend.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
How is remembering a man who saved us from a position of 8 points behind with 8 games to go in a fond and affectionate way "exaggerating" his achievement?

It looks like he has used Wiki as his source when really he should have used The Oxford English Dictionary.

Legend:
noun 1. a traditional story popularly regarded as historical but which is not authenticated. 2. an extremely famous or notorious person. 3. an inscription, caption, or key.

adjective: very well known

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Anyone who fails to understand the fact that English language changes and that definitions aren't fixed is a knob.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It looks like he has used Wiki as his source

Close but no cigar. Look I'm not disagreeing that what he did for us was fantastic, but for someone who was only at the club about 8 months, and was ultimately sacked for a poor start to the follow season should not, in my mind, be described as a legend.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Close but no cigar. Look I'm not disagreeing that what he did for us was fantastic, but for someone who was only at the club about 8 months, and was ultimately sacked for a poor start to the follow season should not, in my mind, be described as a legend.

Legend in totality - no.

Legend because he did change the course of the club's history with his great escape and the scale of it - yes.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

I was going to say stuff. But then I thought, all I need to say is its personal opinion.

I think he's a legend becuase he did, as Dick Knights last manager, keep us up and lead us to the next level.

We have changed alot since Slade first came and he was never very likey going to stay once Bloom took over.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Not a Legend

The first game when he took over was away at Leyton Orient had we won we would have moved out of the relegation zone and we had 12 games left after that.

The fact that we were 8 points adrift with 8 games to go is partly down to his management, even Micky Adams didnt have us that far adrift.

However we did stay up and he should take the credit for the turnaround in our fortunes just has he should be partly responsible for us needing that turnaround in the first place.

Not a legend but a thoroughly decent guy who did his utmost.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
We were in the relegation zone when Adams was sacked (the day of the Millwall game)not getting out of it until the final day of the season.
He signed some good players like Crofts, Navarro, Bennett and brought Dicker back on a permanent basis.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
All three of them performed admirably for the club and none of them left under a cloud. Cox in particular came through the ranks and gave us four of five seasons with some great moments. It's easy to forget that three seasons ago it was a case of stop Cox, stop Brighton. They all deserve a good reception.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Russell Slade - lovely guy and did a great job in keeping us up. Warm reception.

I was one of the few Albion fans who actually liked Coxy. Warm reception.

I had no problem with Alex Revell until the season before last, when he attempted to crack Michel Kuipers skull open with a two footed challenge - one of the most disgusting attempted assaults I have ever witnessed on a football field. He can go f*** himself.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Russell Slade... HERO. :bowdown:

Dean Cox... never showed consistent form (apart from when we played Millwall!)

Alex Revell... not the most creative or talented player but he worked harder than most and I'll applaud with pride. (If I'm there, fingers crossed!).

Johnstones Paint Trophy... :love:

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Slade is not a Brighton legend but definatly will get a good reception from me for keeping us up, would you call Steve Gritt a legend?.....saving us from relegation to non league was definatly a greater and more important achievement.
Legend status seems to be used far too much these days.
As for Cox and Revell.......not really bothered, at least Revell put in 100% every game, Cox was avarage at best.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well Russ is a legend in my mind too ('kin hell, I've just agreed with TCB!) - so he'll be receiving a standing ovation from me n all. :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here