Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rushden's defending

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
I thought diamonds defended well today and that is the reason why we didn't win, that and the ref dissallowing a perfectly good goal!! :angry:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Friend in the south stand said decision looked right, but I couldn't see a lot wrong with it, although my angle was less than perfect. Having given it, it was a little frustrating to see the ref deny Iwelumo two penalties for identical infringemenmts by the defenders on Iwelumo

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I think that R&D aren't that bad a side, they haven't got a good goal scorer but they can defend, they caused us problems in the fa cup game a couple of years back, they came for the draw and got it, today was blackpoo all over again but without the goal's thought, why is oattway still playing?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
they had a good goalscorer earlier in the season though. but he is now at coventry. (lowe)

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Yeah they did but they sold all there beat players, but today they were looking for the draw and they got it, the cheers from end after the game showed it

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
filthy said:
Yeah they did but they sold all there beat players, but today they were looking for the draw and they got it, the cheers from end after the game showed it
Yeah, their reaction at the end certainly reflected the fact of a job well done. We didn't play well because they didn't let us. It wasn't pretty but it was a very good defensive display, the sort of display we are going to have to overcome if we get to the play-offs and find ourselves a goal or two down going into the 2nd leg. Scary.

Indefatigable

Mar 23, 2004
There was barely a decent cross or free-kick from us all afternoon, and that had nothing to do with their defending. We were simply not good enough at getting the ball to go where it should be going.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
They game for a 0-0 and they got it. They had 9 or 10 men behind the ball for most of the game. Even so we were well short of ideas in trying to break them down (hooooof).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They were almost unbelieveably negative at times today, remember when they had a break on and had 3 on 2 against our defence, only for Jack to turn back and wait for others, thereby allowing the rest of our team to catch up.

Having said that, you can't blame them with the run they're on, lets face it, if we'd got a few more away points this season through 10 man defensive displays like Rushden's we'd be happy enough. Not to mention higher in the table.

You'll always get opposition like that on occasion, you just need to work out how to break them downm which we couldn't do yesterday. But I can't really fault the effort.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'm sorry, I can't agree with most of these sentiments. I am normally happy to give the opposition credit where it is due, but Rushden were one of the worst sides we've played at Withdean this season. We made them look good with our one dimensional tactic of simply hoofing it in the direction of Iwelumo every time we got possession. Normally Harty can be relied on to get to the byline at least a couple of times each half but he gave us no width all afternoon - only Jones did that. We looked a different side for the last ten minutes because we adopted the novel approach of actually passing the ball on the floor.

If that is how we are going to play for the rest of the season we can forget even qualifying for the playoffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here