Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rules question re ref on Saturday

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Here is one for you budding referees which happened in a game I was watching the other week.

Team A were awarded a free kick and they took it quickly (with the referees approval I might add). Player from Team B hadn't retreated 10 yards and tried to block the ball after it had been kicked. The referee booked the player from Team B and got the Team A player to re-take the kick. Where should the re-taken kick be taken from? From the original spot or where the ball came into contact with the Team B player?

In the game it was the former which I always thought was the ruling. However several people who were committee members of one of the teams in question were suggesting the referee got it wrong and it should have taken where the second offence took place.

The free kick is retaken. i.e. from the same spot. The laws of the game specifically say so. The offence is that the player was too close when it was taken, not that it hit him (though to keep the game flowing it is an offence that is ignored if the breaking of it doesn't inhibit the team taking the set piece (like goalkeepers moving early if you score a penalty)

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
OK so what if
a player hits the ball towards the goal and it looks most likely to go in but half way there the ball bursts and the inner part goes into the goal and the outer goes over the bar
what would that be?

I'm sure I read somewhere about this, in that half a goal would be awarded. Hence bookies offering odds on more than 2.5 goals for example etc. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here