Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby v Football

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Rugby v Football

I've always considered RU as the 3rd sport in this country behind football and cricket. An enjoyable sport but nowhere near as good as the other two.

However as Bob sang the times they are a changing. The Premiership is a greedy monster dominated by an elite of three weathly clubs, the negative publicity of football in the media is growing on a daily basis due to the private lives of the players, the incompetance/bitterness of the managers, the misbehaviour of the fans of certain clubs and the greed of the money men running the game.

RU on the other hand has a spottless image at the moment, our fellas in Oz have conducted themselves in a perfect way on and off the field and the fans/management have come across well an all.

Whilst Rugby has a long way to go at the moment in matching footballs popularity (the crowds at football games still show it as by far the most dominant sport in this country) could Rugby one day take over as the UK's number one sport?

The reason I ask is reading the press over this world cup and the euphoria at our win yesterday would lead me to ask if you were a kid today bearing in mind the reputations of the two sports as well as the vast difference on ticket prices, which would you choose to play/watch?

Another thing to consider is when I was a younger man RU was considered a sport for public school boys only, this perception has changed a lot in the last few years and I can see in light of recent events a lot of state schools taking RU a lot more seriously due to demands from students and parents.

A situation could arise in the next 10/20 year whereby Rugby overtakes football as the number one most played and watched sport in the UK.

And football will only have itself to blame if this is the case.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's unlikely. Rugby Union will always have it's followers but at the end of the day it's not a world sport in the way that football is. There are also a significantly smaller number of professional clubs unevenly spread (RU will stay popular in the South WEst but it's unlikely the South Coast will ever see a professional team). In 6 months time many will have forgotten the RWC and we'll all be talking about who the Premiership champions are and who's going to win Euro 2004.

Hopefully there will be some very good things to come from this world cup win though. With any luck it'll encourage the next Jonny Wilkinson or Jason Robinson to step up and keep us where we are now for decades to come. Secondly the IRB has to give some of the vast millions it's made to countries where Rugby is number one but the players don't have any money (Fiji and Samoa for example). And thirdly hopefully people can put down their sporting prejudices for once and enjoy more than one type of sport. You simply have to admire those guys who gave every last ounce to make our country number one.

Saying that if it was a choice for me of a day out at Twickers or the Albion away at some cold Northern hole I'm going with my mates to the Albion every time.

Wouldn't it be great if we could be the World Champoins at Rugby, Football and Cricket? All at the same time preferebly

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good post. I think the answer is that not even rugby fans believe that football's popularity will be surpassed, but the gap can certainly be narrowed.

And a good thing too in my view. Much as I love football, the sport gets far too much of a slice of the media pie and certainly more than is good for it. Consequently, you get:

- players who think they can do what they want - apparently including raping (allegedly) women, getting into fights (complete with allegations of racism)
- managers who are rude, inarticulate and can't cope with the slightest bit of pressure. I remember seeing monkey face Reid while Leeds manager and noting how rude he was to the newbie football focus bloke asking him perfectly reasonable questions. Can you imagine Clive Woodward or anyone else associated with an emerging sport choosing to behave like that? I think not.
- all sorts of factions taking the piss out of the mug paying punter. At the moment it is players with their ridiculous wage demands, but in the past it has been club owners raking it in while not bothering to offer decent facilities for the fans.
- and whilst we're on the subject, if this was a rugby board you can bet your arse you wouldn't get whinging pro's moaning that they're not happy with some of the nasty lickel fan comments on here. Feck off and grow up.

However, against rugby is the fact that school participation is decreasing owing to the litigation fuelled society that we now live in, it's middle class / posh image and it's lack of exposure now that Sky have the tastiest Six Nations matches. Still, you get the impression that unlike the FA, the RFU knows what it is doing and will sort things out. You only have to look at the domestic game where average top flight gates are now 13,000 and look set to rise. Gates of 20k are not uncommon any more, Leicester sell out every game (17,000), London Irish got 19k for their St Patricks day fixture, Saracens had 20k for a title decider a few years ago and Ashton Gate was sold out last season for Bristol v Bath.

I hope rugby does push on - perhaps it will give football a kick up the arse. One thing they ought to do is make 6 nations matches at Twickeham a bit more accessible. We can't all afford to be debenture holders like my mildly irritating, posh brother-in-law who went to Stow public school.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Have to agree. I don't particularly enjoy Rugby but I have to admit watching the game on saturday with a stinking hangover was quite enjoyable and those guys gave 100% all the way through which was very commendable, but how many people do you know who follow club rugby, I know one maybe two. Whereas I don't know many people who don't follow club football in some way.

Thats the difference. we get excited when england playin most sports but the only sports that are really popular are those that ar efollowed at club level by the masses.

This is where football will always have the popularity.

And I would always choose the ablion over twickers as well. in fact I did last year in the six nations forgoing a ticket to england wales as I wanted to go to watch the albion.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I have a son aged 6 and want him to get into a sport at a early age but I don`t think I will be encouraging him to go down the football channel.Not that I don`t love the actual game but I have seen quite a few games at junior level where the behaviour from the players and from the parents on the touchline have been disgraceful.This would not be tolerated in rugby which is a game I personally put right up there with football.I asked him which one he prefered at the moment and he said he quite liked the ``Handball fighting one``

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
interesting post, and some good points by simster

at the end of the day, i don't think rugby will ever touch football for popularity in this country. football is to deeply ingrained in us and also, as a kid, what do you do on your own with a rugby ball (no public school jokes please)? on your own with a footie ball you can play keepie uppy. get a mate you can play penalties or juggle the ball. 3 of you, its jumpers for goalposts and 3 and in, 66 and headers and volleys. a few more you can have a match.

how the f*** do you play rugby in the park with your mates?

i would like to see football sort out its image though. i agree whole heartedly with simster about rude managers/players. the flak refs get off them amazes me. its our job as customers to have a go at them but the constant moaning from managers just bores me these days, even when they have a point.

its a shame rugby gets tarred with the posh brush. people tell us class in britain isn't important anymore, what a load of shite. whilst i have the same reservations as simster about rugby's fan base, i certainly enjoy seeing professional english sportsmen able to express themselves intelligently and articulately. nothing posh about that. beckham still gets a lot of flak simply cos he isn't your stereotype laddish footballer. ok he's not your brain of britain but he certainly lives his life as you would have thought a professional sportsmen should. shame he's in the minority amongst our footie players.

having said all that, i still love football with a passion and am only vaguely interested in rugby

posh sods;)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
David Beckham is a saving grace for football in this country. He's well behaved, he's world class, and the way he has responded to stinging (often unfair) criticism has been top drawer. I don't care about the way he talks, the way he conducts himself speaks volumes.

English football needs lots lots lots more David Beckhams and far far far far fewer Lee Bowyers, Alan Smiths, Robbie Savages and cheating Rio Ferdinands. (Sadly you could go on with this list)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah I agree with the general sentiments. I never played Rugby at school and I thought it was a boring, tedious sport. Also England were shit and were always being beaten by Wales. I started to take an interest during the Will Carling era, (back to back Grand Slams and the World Cup final in 1991), and my love and appreciation of Rugby has grown from there.

I just wish there was a decent team here to support. Brighton and Hove RFCs to merge and play at Falmer perhaps?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I never played and rarely watched rugby before my lad wanted to play mini-rugby at seven years old. He had a two year break, but is still playing aged 13, and it is a fantastic game for lads to play. The set-up at mini level leaves most junior football clubs standing (and I coach his football team). It is a great game, that coached well, gives the lads (and girls up to 11) plenty of enjoyment, discipline, and teaches lessons for life.

There are disadvantages, for example it certainly helps to be big, and some clubs, as in football, give winning for too much importance. There is also the class thing. It is not as pronounced as I was expecting, but you can tell the kids that go to prep school, they are practicing at school three times a week, as opposed to kids at normal schools who rarely see a rugby ball. This seems to be less of an issue as the kids get older though.

One problem is it is difficult to watch. Who knew what the ref was going on about on Saturday ? Even at junior level once they start 15-a-side it is hard for anyone, like me, who isn't used to the game. However, if you go to watch a top class club game it really is a good family atmosphere and they bring (piss-poor) beer to you in your seat, kids are allowed to play on the pitch after the game, and there is greater access to the players. Football can learn.

I'd say to any parent encourage your child to play both games.

PS to the mods - can you delete any posts on here that refer to the s-word. It is how you identify people who know nothing about the beautiful game.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think it will ever be as popular nationwide as football is. As Guinness Boy points out, it's very strong in the west/south-west (and west London) but has no real presence in the rest of the south-east. It's quite strong in the Midlands; the Tigers give Leicester City a run for its money when it comes to gates, but is weak in Lancashire and Yorkshire.

However, I endorse fully the sentiments that football could learn from it. The ref gave his decisions on Saturday without any dissent, there are no histrionics from the players, even when injured and the fans can all mix together happily.

I don't know how football authorities can do anything about the fans, but I'd love to see them crack down on dissent and feigning injury...but hell will freeze over before the FA would do something positive.

I reckon that more and more people will find themselves attracted to rugby. I can't see myself watching Brighton RFC when I move back, but I already watch club rugby occasionally in London, so I'd be tempted if there were a better club. Certainly, if I were a kid getting into sport, I know which one seems the most attractive right now.

ukade

Oct 7, 2003
overpaid morons

The public attitude is changing. Watch the beckham marketing slowly fall apart as the new marketing hereos are rugby players and not overpaid jerk offs like premiership players.

Football has been ruined by money plus the overpaid monkeys who think they are above the rest of us.

I watch a lot of cycling and I consider it a friendly sport like rugby where fans mingle together, there is no trouble or hassle and what is most impressive is how the cyclists give there all to win a race and put on a good display.
I cannot find one footballer at the monent that I can look up to and say your a good player but also say your a good bloke.
All I see is attitude, bad manners and there heads so far up there arses. However I consider the likes of David Millar, Jan ulrich, Lance Arimstrong and beloki as people to look up to and gather insperation from, not becuase they drive good cars or have nice looking birds but becuase they are true athletes and give 100% whenever they can.

Get stuffed premiership boys no one likes you anymore. Take a pay cut, treat the general public with respect and you will win friends again.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
just as balance - didn't Dallaglio admit to dealing in crack - at the least in an attempt to get the reporter into bed.

And cyclists as role models ? You'd need to look carefully - they are indeed sportmen, but there are a lot of drugs on the Tour aren't there ?.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Let's hope football learns from Rugby. If it does not it's on a downward slope. It has to start at the top. I still shudder at SIR Alex Ferguson. What an example, foul mouthed whinging, threatening,. As for the players I'm fed up with Premiership players being excused for racism violence cheating and assaults on women, because they cannot handle the pressure of being a young man with money and fame. On the pitch they should ban these stupid goal celebrations and any protest to a referee should be an automatic red card.
And we fans ought to take responsibilty for our behaviour so we do not drive away children and women and even men from enjoying the game, because we cannot hold back on expletives and threatening behaviour.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
had a little chuckle at this paragraph in the guardian talking about the returning england team

The last time hundreds of English fans turned up at an airport to greet a returning England team was after the 1990 football World Cup when they lost the semi-final on penalties. Then the popular hero was Paul Gascoigne, and he greeted his public wearing a pair of false breasts.

alan partridge said:
Paul Gascoigne greeted his public wearing a pair of false breasts.

Which implies he has spent a lot of time in Rugby clubhouses...

I used to play Rugby Union for my town - bloody loved the sport then, and still do know. BUT I hated the clubhouse. That, and a knee injury, led me to give up. Couldn't be arsed hanging around with the complete wankers in the game. Still go to watch games, but I do find the atmosphere around football better than that around Rugby (Union, that is - Rugby League is great).

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
fatbadger said:

I used to play Rugby Union for my town - bloody loved the sport then, and still do know. BUT I hated the clubhouse. That, and a knee injury, led me to give up. Couldn't be arsed hanging around with the complete wankers in the game. Still go to watch games, but I do find the atmosphere around football better than that around Rugby (Union, that is - Rugby League is great).

I know what you mean. I loved playing the game but I wonder if people on NSC would be so pro the game if they had to meet the wankers who played it.

Obsessed with: drinking to excess, childish practical jokes, taking their clothes off, swearing excessively and sexual banter....hmm, maybe the NSCers would be fine playing rugby. :)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Rugby World cup will be forgotten in 6 weeks time.

Kids will not be able to take up rugby at school because of the problems with injuries, parents will sue, litigation will spoil it for the kids who may want to play.

You can't play with a rugby ball on your own, or with a couple of mates.

Footbal is a global sport.

Kids will get worse and worse manners because they follow football and the example lead by the so called proffessional players will continue to degenerate.

Basically the world is in meltdown because of gready fuckers all over the show, football is part of that and unitil someone in a position of power/influence makes some difficult decisions nothing will improve.

I am happy to say that I didn't care for rugby before, and I don't now. The guys in my local pub who have suddenly become life long rugby fans will go back to discussing the weather, Hoggsback T.E.A. and local planning applications. When Superwife and I walk in they will feign interest in the Albion for a bit.

What was it I was talking about, oh, I've forgotten.

Sorry rugby, but that's the way it is.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
fatbadger said:

:D

do you remember the harry enfield rugby players sketch

WEIRDO ALERT! DECK HIM!

the rugby club at my uni was full of total tossers too, you occassionaly noticed them cos twice a year they'd be running round naked with carrotts up their arses. hilarious

still, got to respect the way the pros conduct themselves

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've enjoyed the England games during the Rugby World Cup, and that final on Saturday was just epic. But I could never watch anything other than England in either the 6 Nations or a World Cup, the bread-and-butter domestic scene holds absolutely no interest for me whatsoever. I'd sooner watch Pop Idol than London Irish v Leicester (or whatever). However, I do now have a new-found appreciation of the sport. I understand it far better than I ever did before, and I now know that I'm capable of sitting down and watching an entire England match and really enjoying it. But it could never surpas my football instincts.

Fairweather fan ? You bet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here