Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rugby manager farce..should andy robinson walk, or be sacked?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
the bbc website (sport page) was leading with 'robinson to quit' earlier today, though RFU have announced that no further announcement would be made today..

also, the package offered if he went would be the same as if the RFU sacked him.. so why wait?

it must be unsettling for the team, and a no win decision for the RFU, either way..

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
apparently the 2 sides are at loggerheads

the playing side want him to stay
the administrative side want him to go

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
all together now.. sack the board, sack the board..

i'm sure AR would get taken up by another club(?), or get a good book deal out of it anyway..

though why they RFU are trying to force his arm via the media is a bit odd- dont they have the guts to tell him face to face?

sport managers must expect to be judged on results.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Frankly I'm amazed Robinson hasn't gone before. In New Zealand he's have been sacked after about 4 or 5 losses on the trot. England were SHOCKING in the Autumn internationals. Basic turnovers in the early games could be put down to player error but our tactics on Saturday - try to batter down the line and if that fails kick for the corner rugby league style - can be put down directly to the coach.

Robinson OUT :angry:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He hasn't a clue and should be sacked, we were roasted by a second 15 SA and NZ team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not sure what a change of coach would do so close to the Waorld cup, just seems a shame we wont have any sort of decent side to defend it.
Ireland are my bet for it after New Zealand Choke in the Semis.

Andy Robinson is a fine coach but has clearly failed as a manager.

England with its volume of players and with one of the toughest domestic leagues in the world should never be out of the top 3 or 4.

The problems in English rugby are deep though, and may take a few years to sort out.

Relegation in the Guinness Premiership breeds safety-first rugby rather than the kind of emphasis on flair you get in the Super 14 or even the Magners Celtic League. The latter is clearly a lesser league in terms of money and intensity but yet is breeding better international players currently as Ireland and to some extent Wales are showing.

Rob Andrew, Brian Ashton plus a forwards coach, maybe John Wells, should take the team to the World Cup, then England should try and get Warren Gatland afterwards before the All Blacks nab him. Martin Johnson needs a stint at Leicester before he can take the top England job.

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
London Irish said:
Andy Robinson is a fine coach but has clearly failed as a manager.

England with its volume of players and with one of the toughest domestic leagues in the world should never be out of the top 3 or 4.

The problems in English rugby are deep though, and may take a few years to sort out.

Relegation in the Guinness Premiership breeds safety-first rugby rather than the kind of emphasis on flair you get in the Super 14 or even the Magners Celtic League. The latter is clearly a lesser league in terms of money and intensity but yet is breeding better international players currently as Ireland and to some extent Wales are showing.

Rob Andrew, Brian Ashton plus a forwards coach, maybe John Wells, should take the team to the World Cup, then England should try and get Warren Gatland afterwards before the All Blacks nab him. Martin Johnson needs a stint at Leicester before he can take the top England job.

lot of sense there mate.nuf said

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Relegation in the Guinness Premiership breeds safety-first rugby rather than the kind of emphasis on flair you get in the Super 14 or even the Magners Celtic League. The latter is clearly a lesser league in terms of money and intensity but yet is breeding better international players currently as Ireland and to some extent Wales are showing. ...
Interesting point. Do you think if the Guiness Premiership abolished relegation it would improve it? I'd heard that idea being punted round before and always thought it was stupid. Mind you I've always looked at it with a football hat on: if the Premiership became a closed shop then each season there would be a few important games and the rest would be little more than meaningless friendlies - it's the threat of relegation that makes it exciting. Cricket has definitely benefitted from having two divisons, being a Sussex fan I usually used to lose interest in the old-style 'one division' county championship long before the end of June.

But is Rugby different? After all for decades there was no competitive structure at all, so if you removed the fear of relegation from most Premiership matches and effectively turned them into old-style 'friendlies' do you think that would lead to better Rugby and better players?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
London Irish said:

Andy Robinson, was an awsome player but is a poor man manager and I'd question his coaching skills. Gatland for me with Johnson as his apprentice.

* puts on tin hat * I'm not a big fan of Rob Andrew, over rated as a player, if Stuart Barnes hadn't pissed off the RFU by being such a gob shite he would have been Englands number one choice fly-half and Andrew wouldn't have got a look in.
I do however believe that Andrew has the political skills to get the RFU and the clubs talking, a task only marginally harder than nailing jelly to the ceiling, but I would hope that he's kept away from the playing side.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My one man crusade against SKY is backfiring as the only game I've seen live and in full recently was the New Zealand game where I thought we did OK given how good the All Blacks are. They annihilited France and Wales as well. We lost to Argentina but France only scraped home against them.

I have no idea how much Robinson is to blame as the gap between Northern and Southern Hemisphere has opened up again and it's not just England suffering embarrasments. Will wait until we play the 6 Nations to pass judgement

Don't we have an inordinate amount of experienced players out injured too? These recent experiences for the stand ins may stand us in good stead as did the thrashings in Australia a while before the last World Cup?

Don't know is the short answer

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Deportivo Seagull said:
Andy Robinson, was an awsome player but is a poor man manager and I'd question his coaching skills. Gatland for me with Johnson as his apprentice.

* puts on tin hat * I'm not a big fan of Rob Andrew, over rated as a player, if Stuart Barnes hadn't pissed off the RFU by being such a gob shite he would have been Englands number one choice fly-half and Andrew wouldn't have got a look in.
I do however believe that Andrew has the political skills to get the RFU and the clubs talking, a task only marginally easier than nailing jelly to the ceiling, but I would hope that he's kept away from the playing side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here