Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rubbish? - player ratings

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
TLO.

I think the first goal was down to ball watching by a number of players Kuipers included the only person who made a move for it was Showomni (sp) so technically it could be said that it was down to Kuipers as he must share equal blame with a number of other defenders. To my mind it was debatable as to whether the majority of blame should fall on Kuipers shoulders or Lynch and the questions will go on as per Henderson or Lynch to blame for the goal against Millwall. Depends which side of the Kuipers Henderson fence you sit.
Thanks Brian.

Bearing in mind I haven't seen a replay, to my mind, regarding the Millwall goal, there are three things to consider - Byfield made an excellent perfectly timed run, and Lynch was caught not exactly napping, but certainly wrong-footed.

As regards Henderson from quite far back, he started to come, hesitated, came again. I am pretty certain he wouldn't have got to the ball first - Byfield would still have got there first - but closing him down that much would have made him (Byfield) think about what to do next. Instead, being caught in no man's land made the job a damn site easier than it ought to have been.

Perhaps the replay shows different.

What was clear in the second half was that Henderson seemed to have been told about it at half-time because he was starting from further out with balls over the top, and coming out for them much earlier, and to decent effect.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Rubbish? - player ratings

Barrel of Fun said:
I didn't go, but from what I have seen, O'Cerauill is useful at passing and pressing forward.

That, my green friend, could not be any further from the truth. His tackling is very good, and he's not bad in the air, but his distribution is so bad, that if Kuipers played right back it would be no worse.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
The Large One said:
Hey, that isn't what I asked. All I wanted was an HONEST appraisal, not a loaded one.

FIRST GOAL

The defence were too deep - stationed on the penalty spot rather than the edge of the area.

This in turn forced Kuipers back and what would have been his to come and claim had the defence been on the penalty area line was instead one that the defence needed to deal with.

On seeing the defence not dealing with it, Michel came but too latee and Enoch was able to chip him.

Would need to see the goal from other angles to make further comment but for time being I feel that culpability lies on whoever should have been picking up Enoch, and whoever lined up the defence so deep

SECOND GOAL
For the second goal, three of our four defenders were clustered around a single man, Wayne Andrews, leaving the man wide right in acres of space - hence the (admittedly good) cross field ball reached him.

Having time and space, City were able to deliver a cross that initally looked too long and deep but unfortunately their attacker got to it ahead of Kuipers (who may have thought the ball was going out) and dragged it back in to the centre fo goal where Andrews this time had nobody on him and was able to slot it home easily.

Again I don't blame Kuipers for the root cause - which was poor positioning by our defenders and (again) leaving men free in acres of space

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Complete Badger said:
El Abd, for me, was lost out there. He is too casual, late for challenges, reckless, and hasn't got a clue with the ball at his feet. His passing was pretty shocking last night. Same goes for Fraser really, although El Abd is a bit less anonymous. I don't mind El Abd at the back, where his no-nonsense style can be a plus, but he hasn't offered anything in midfield for a number of weeks now.
Did you go to Chesterfield? I thought El-Abd was excellent there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
the Realist said:
FIRST GOAL

The defence were too deep - stationed on the penalty spot rather than the edge of the area.

This in turn forced Kuipers back and what would have been his to come and claim had the defence been on the penalty area line was instead one that the defence needed to deal with.

On seeing the defence not dealing with it, Michel came but too latee and Enoch was able to chip him.

Would need to see the goal from other angles to make further comment but for time being I feel that culpability lies on whoever should have been picking up Enoch, and whoever lined up the defence so deep

SECOND GOAL
For the second goal, three of our four defenders were clustered around a single man, Wayne Andrews, leaving the man wide right in acres of space - hence the (admittedly good) cross field ball reached him.

Having time and space, City were able to deliver a cross that initally looked too long and deep but unfortunately their attacker got to it ahead of Kuipers (who may have thought the ball was going out) and dragged it back in to the centre fo goal where Andrews this time had nobody on him and was able to slot it home easily.

Again I don't blame Kuipers for the root cause - which was poor positioning by our defenders and (again) leaving men free in acres of space
Thank you.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rubbish? - player ratings

hans kraay fan club said:
That, my green friend, could not be any further from the truth. His tackling is very good, and he's not bad in the air, but his distribution is so bad, that if Kuipers played right back it would be no worse.

Oh! I thought he looked useful, in that respect, against West Ham and I thought he passed well against Millwall.

Last edited:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
the second goal, most people thought it had gone out, the only alert player was the bristol attacker with long name but cant remember who, could have been stoped, but we looked to already have given up

dont think anyone played average apart from hammond, who again like west ham was the only good player on the pitch. only problem is that he looked bad, because he kept trying to use robinson as an outlet on right wing, but only found him once. everything else he did was effective, tidy and much needed. just good to have someone that wins the ball and plays a short pass to another brighton player

we just need more conviction going forward as we passed the ball around defence and midfiled really well without going forward

it took us about 10 minutes to touch the ball in their half after the 2nd half kicked off

as for ratings, everyone a 5, hammond a 6

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rubbish? - player ratings

Barrel of Fun said:
Oh! I thought he looked useful, in that respect, against West Ham and I thought he passed well against Millwall.

I thought he did well against West Ham, but that his passing has been woeful in every game since. It never ceases to amaze me how two sets of people can watch the same game and see incidents so differently.

[Not suggesting that I'm necessarily any more right than you btw]

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rubbish? - player ratings

hans kraay fan club said:
I thought he did well against West Ham, but that his passing has been woeful in every game since. It never ceases to amaze me how two sets of people can watch the same game and see incidents so differently.

[Not suggesting that I'm necessarily any more right than you btw]

I think I am perhaps a little too positive when it comes to assessing players...:D I haven't played football properly for years, so I think my tactical awareness is probably not as good as other peoples.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Withdean Wanderer said:

Overall a great dissapointment. Yes, City were a good organised side, but we didn't even make a game of it. We didn't have a proper chance, and there seemed to be a half arsed attitude. MOVEMENT was the word of the day - absolutely non existent. We need a midfielder and a striker at the very least, but are running out of time to do it. Lynch once again showed why he's not premiership class with another pivotal cock up. Overall a shocking evening in about minus 4 conditions. Even the crowd were quiet it was so bad - i don't recall one song in the last half hour. Beaten by the better team? yes, but we've only got our own ineptness to blame!
Season is over...unless we get dragged into a relegation battle. SORT IT DICK:nono:

Very fair summation. I lost count of the number of times we broke away only for Hammond to stop and pass sideways instead of a decent through-ball thus allowing City to get back into position. The second half was dreadful and I don't know how people who play football as a profession can turn in a display like that. How can they not even stick to basics. A lot of fast, neat passing at times but no use if you barely get it near the opposition's penalty area.

Bristol were the easily the better team but they weren't that good. Easily beatable on the night if our players had stepped up. Losers.

Not ashamed to admit that that was the 1st game in 16 years of supporting that I have left a game early.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
We were truly terrible last night, really poor stuff.

Kuipers - 9, absolutely fantastic. Nothing he could do with either goal.
Hart - 5 - he'll never be a right back
Butters - 5 - solid but missed the header for the first goal
Lynch - 5 - solid but lost his man for the first goal
Rents - 3- really terrible, needs alot of work on his positional sense
Fraser - 3 - never in the game
Hammond - 7 - our best player, but should not be playing the anchor role.
El Abd - 5 - he is a good midfielder but only when he sits deep.
Coxy - 3 - worst I have ever seen him play.
Jakey - 6 - lively but no support
Gatting - 4 - awful

Cereal - 3 - at fault for the second goal
Fruity - 5 - not long enough to make an impression should start sat
chamberlain - 4 - looked out his depth

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Michel 8 - Kept us in the game early on, shanked a couple of kicks but I think we should all be willing to make that sacrifice when he makes saves as he did last night.

Hart 4- struggles positionally at right back.

Butters 7 - Coped well with a difficult front line.

Lynch 6- Played well but was at fault for first goal. Not quite sure why people think its kuipers fault when its quite clear we operate a "dont let your man score" system from set pieces and lynch's man was free at the far post to tap in.

Rents 6 - Made some very good covering round and was targeted by the long diagonal, did ok.

Fraser 4 - Not a right winger, should be used as cover in the centre of midfield but not on the right. Big shame he's always played there.

Hammond 6- work rate and positional play superb, few long range passes were poor but could be put down to lack of movement in formation second half.

El Abd 7 - Quality, work rate, desire, very rarely gave the ball away. Just makes midfield look to defensive but does his role perfectly.

Cox 4- Very poor.

Robinson 6 - Did ok on the right when he had the ball but missed few chances and final ball could have been better.

Gatting 6- Another victim of the system, struggles to play on his own up front but worked hard and held the ball up well. Still looked a yard too slow.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
" Gatting 6- Another victim of the system, struggles to play on his own up front but worked hard and held the ball up well. Still looked a yard too slow "

Held the ball up well!!! That's a good one!!! :lolol: :lolol:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
lovelyboy said:
" Gatting 6- Another victim of the system, struggles to play on his own up front but worked hard and held the ball up well. Still looked a yard too slow "

Held the ball up well!!! That's a good one!!! :lolol: :lolol:

When the ball was played to his feet how many times did he give the ball away? Maybe 5 I wasn't really keeping count. How many of those times were due to a lack of support from a very solid but also very defence minded midfield? Practically all of them. In that system unless he is faster he will also struggle. He either turns the defender and runs or goes back to midfield or 30+ yards either side to jake/cox.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:
When it comes to holding the ball up, Joe Gatting is EXCELLENT - almost impossible to shake him off it. It's the 27 other aspects of his play that need a lot of work.

27? At least someone WAS keeping count! Mainly his pace over the first 5 yards that needs to be worked on. Just think its bad that because he's come in so young everyone expects so much and doesn't actually see how he benefits the team!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here