Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Royals @ The Amex 4 July

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
why do people trot this out all the time? Do tourists get to MEET the Royals? Or do they actually come to visit the places of historic interest?

Do tourists not visit France because they got rid of their royalty?

Windsor Castle - 900,000 visitors per year. Palace of Versailles - 10,000,000 visitors per year.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Windsor Castle - 900,000 visitors per year. Palace of Versailles - 10,000,000 visitors per year.

It's interesting how someone trotting out the tired old cliches about 'they raise more money than they cost' ' thery're great vfm those royals', etc gets called on it by a number of humble NSC posters like [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION]. In contrast, these ideas are NOT challenged in the mainstream media at all. Name a serious politician with influence who admits being Republican, for example.

With a bit of vision, we could really build confidence in our country by becoming citizens instead of subjects, and could gain in profile (and yes, tourism revenue) by telling the story about how we learned to overturn inherited privilege and stand on our own two feet. In my opinion, like.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I find that figure (10,000,000 to Versailles) quite incredible.

That's an average of over 27,000 people per day, assuming that it's open 365 days a year.

When I was there it was more like 2,000 there, maximum.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I find that figure (10,000,000 to Versailles) quite incredible.

That's an average of over 27,000 people per day, assuming that it's open 365 days a year.

When I was there it was more like 2,000 there, maximum.

Here are the facts:

In 1975 the Queen's Bedroom was restored, followed by the the King's Ceremonial Bedroom and the Hall of Mirrors in 1980, the ground floor Royal Apartments in 1986, and in 2008 the Petit Trianon and Maria Antoinette's gardens were fully restored. Today visitor numbers for Versailles are at around 2.58 million a year, making it the fourth most popular cultural attraction in France.

As far as I know, Windsor Castle is not heavily promoted as a tourist attraction. It is also vastly less opulent than the Palace of Versailles, which (A) makes it less of a tourist attraction and (B) possibly explains why it is still occupied by a monarch.

I'm no great fan of the minor royals but just out of interest how many other non executive heads of state (ie presidents) can anyone name off the top of their heads? I can't think of a single one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here