Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Royals played by the rules - Madejski

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Royals played by the rules - Madejski

Reading chairman John Madejski says he would not have spoken to Steve Coppell if Brighton chairman Dick Knight had refused permission.
Coppell was unveiled as the Royals' new manager on Thursday after agreeing a contract until the end of next season, and Madejski said: "We were determined to play by the rules and regulations.

"What's the point of having them if you don't adhere to them."

Reading lost previous manager Alan Pardew to West Ham last month, and Madejski added: "When we spoke to Dick Knight he asked us to wait until Brighton had got through a clutch of games before we spoke to Steve, so we did that.

"He said he didn't want Steve distracted at that moment, but if he had told me we couldn't talk to Steve at all, then we wouldn't have done."

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't think Dick Knight is wrong in letting teams / chairman talk to Coppell.

He just leaves it up to the manager in question to do the decent thing.

I have a feeling that Dick Knight leaves it up to the manager, ie Coppell to make his mind up whether they want to be a traiterous scumbag and speak to another club.

I also think that Dick thinks once they have gone and spoken to another club that his opinion of them freefalls and his attitude of " we want you to stay but were no going to beg you to stay " is spot on.

Once Coppell had spoken to Reading , my regard for him went down the toliet and I was not bothered if he went from that stage.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Its almost a good test of loyalty. Surprisingly Peter Taylor showed his loyalty whereas SC didn't.

Didn't expect that.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Whatever the technicalities are, the outcome is the same.

Dick Knight is obliged to inform managers if an offer comes in, it is down to the manager if they want to pursue that offer.

Coppell chose to pursue that offer, he wanted out, Dick Knight made the descision to off-load him for the best possible ' price '.

If Coppell wanted to manage us, he wouldn't have pursued the offer.

Madejski has been cleverly avoiding the fact that a Chairman cannot interfere in the process by refusing permission to talk to managers, because any such contractual clause is illeagal ( in terms of employment law ). That's how West Ham got Pardew, because they knew he could be contacted without Madejski's approval.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I do not buy this statement about waiting until after the clutch of games.

I know for a fact that Steve Coppell talked to Reading 21st September (the day after the Sheff Wed game)

Last edited:

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Dicks attitude is spot on !!
If an employee no longer wants to work for you why try stopping them or talking them out of it.
Steve did a good job for us, but decided to leave...................the only concern Dick had at that point was getting as much money as he could, for the good of Falmer and the Club.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
Employment law has nothing to do with football. Seriously.

Until challenged in European courts, as per Bosman, it's a law unto itself.

When was the last time you saw a player resign?

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
Madjeski is a tosser, YES Reading made a legal approach, but he still poached another clubs manager, hypercritical ****. Whether the approach was legal or not it still had the same end result, and we are now left in the same position as Reading were, without a manager.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
When was the last time you saw a player resign?

Rory Allen jacked it in at Pompey (but then again who wouldn't) and went off to watch the Ashes series in Australia.

Yorkie said:
I do not buy this statement about waiting until after the clutch of games.

I know for a fact that Steve Coppell talked to Reading 21st September (the day after the Sheff Wed game)

but wouldn't that have been about sending that donket Henderson back.......................

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Besides, it's hardly the point is it.

It's a bit like saying that if your brother were to shaft your recent ex-wife, he "played by the rules" by waiting until you were divorced from her. Doesn't actually make it a huge amount better.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dick Knight to Madejski:

"ok, we'll let you talk to Steve, but only if you promise to take Henderson back immediately"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here