Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Keane new forest boss?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Odds are tumbling i know this often happens and comes out not to be true but could be a strange move. :moo:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Keane wants to manage, shouldn't he try and prove himself in the lower leagues? He's only managed to prove himself a failure so far.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't think the odds are tumbling for any reason other than it sounds like a good fit. They are both at about each others level, and there is a link there already of course.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Can't see it happening. O’Neil possibly but why would he want to manage in the championship. Lee Clark could be a good bet, he has them playing good football but they have underachieved and should be out of league 1 by now.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Martin O'Neill would be a fantastic appointment for them, especially considering his history with the club. Roy Keane would clear a lot of the deadwood and would get more out of them than the Wally did. Forest's squad is deffinitely not as bad as the league table would suggest, and with a proper manager who has even just an ounce of competance, they will surge up the table.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why would Martin O'Neill go anywhere near them? I could see why they would want him but what's the appeal of Forrest?

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Roy Keane would clear a lot of the deadwood and would get more out of them than the Wally did. Forest's squad is deffinitely not as bad as the league table would suggest, and with a proper manager who has even just an ounce of competance, they will surge up the table.

Really? I look at the squad they had last season that got to the play-offs, particularly with that plethora of strikers and you'd say that this time around they would probably be in mid table.

Throw in the fact that they now appear to be significantly weaker, and I don't think it is any surprise they are struggling. They won't score goals with the forwards they now have and midfield wise the only player who looks like he can create anything is Andy Reid and he weights about 20 stone

They would need serious investment in the loan market to move up the table, but if the board weren't willing to give that to a manager they were backing to the hilt before his resignation then they almost certainly won't do it to a new man

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Really? I look at the squad they had last season that got to the play-offs, particularly with that plethora of strikers and you'd say that this time around they would probably be in mid table.

Throw in the fact that they now appear to be significantly weaker, and I don't think it is any surprise they are struggling. They won't score goals with the forwards they now have and midfield wise the only player who looks like he can create anything is Andy Reid and he weights about 20 stone

They would need serious investment in the loan market to move up the table, but if the board weren't willing to give that to a manager they were backing to the hilt before his resignation then they almost certainly won't do it to a new man

I don't agree. They already have a squad capable of being much higher than 21st. It wasn't that long ago that people were touting Derbyshire about on here and talking about him as being one of the all time greats (slight hyperbole, perhaps!) and all of a sudden he is contributing to them being rubbish? I don't see it. The squad lacks balance, and losing Kelvin Wilson in the summer looks like a big loss but there's no reason for them to be so low in the table. Other than their crap manager, now departed. There is no chance a new manager can do any worse there, it's the perfect time to take over that club in my opinion. I think you're forgetting about Lewis McGugan though, he is probably their most creative player from what little I've seen. Miller is easily a quality striker at this level aswell, so they should have plenty of goals in the team, Paul Anderson is still there aswell.

I don't think they need serious investment (a lot more than people think has already been spent on this squad), they just need proper management.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I don't agree. They already have a squad capable of being much higher than 21st. It wasn't that long ago that people were touting Derbyshire about on here and talking about him as being one of the all time greats (slight hyperbole, perhaps!) and all of a sudden he is contributing to them being rubbish? I don't see it. The squad lacks balance, and losing Kelvin Wilson in the summer looks like a big loss but there's no reason for them to be so low in the table. Other than their crap manager, now departed. There is no chance a new manager can do any worse there, it's the perfect time to take over that club in my opinion. I think you're forgetting about Lewis McGugan though, he is probably their most creative player from what little I've seen. Miller is easily a quality striker at this level aswell, so they should have plenty of goals in the team, Paul Anderson is still there aswell.

I don't think they need serious investment (a lot more than people think has already been spent on this squad), they just need proper management.

We seem to be having the same debate on two different threads here!

Derbyshire scored ZERO on-loan at Birmingham last season. Miller has 16 goals in 100 appearances. Players like that appear to be big name signings, but they've flattered to deceive for most of their careers. I imagine that is what McClaren is so pissed off about. They are hardly the proven performers you need to get out of this division are they?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Derbyshire scored ZERO on-loan at Birmingham last season. Miller has 16 goals in 100 appearances. Players like that appear to be big name signings, but they've flattered to deceive for most of their careers. I imagine that is what McClaren is so pissed off about. They are hardly the proven performers you need to get out of this division are they?

I'm not saying he made good signings. I'm just saying he did actually sign players, they're just not very good. Like their (former) manager.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I'm not saying he made good signings. I'm just saying he did actually sign players, they're just not very good. Like their (former) manager.

Well, you've tried to say that he had a squad capable of being much higher than 21st. And you also said that Derbyshire was being touted as the next big thing and that Miller was a class player at this level. If that is what you say about players that aren't very good, I'd love to hear how you describe those who are actually decent!

The other thing you are signing is that he signed players. But did he? I'd say that David Pleat and the wonderfully-named Notting Forest Acqusition Panel had far more to do with the recruitment of actual players than McClaren did

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Forest fans don't want keane. The general consensus seems to be o'neill or the huddersfield manager.

I thought the fans all wanted Billy Davies back, and he's been reported as willing to go until the end of the season.

Where is he now?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Can't think why Keane, or anyone else at the moment, would go anywhere near them. the club seems to be a bit of a basket case at the moment - no chairman and, no first team manager, players who are clearly under performing, (or in some case Not at all).
oh and a small matter of bottom of the league............................................

intersesting that this was in today's Sun. Who could the "ex England star" be I wonder?

NOTTINGHAM FOREST were last night on the brink of a dramatic takeover.
A US/Chinese consortium fronted by an ex-England star is in advanced talks to buy the crisis club.

Owner Nigel Doughty wants out after 12 years — with the managerless side 21st in the Championship — and a deal is said to be very close.

The would-be buyers even have a top European coach already lined up to replace former England boss Steve McClaren, who resigned on Sunday after just 112 days at the helm.

John Pemberton, Karl Robinson, Kevin MacDonald and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink are also in the frame for the manager's job.

It emerged that Peter Ridsdale offered on Sunday to become the new chairman, though it is understood the former Leeds supremo's surprise offer will be rejected
.:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Exactly. Miller couldn't cut it at West Brom which is why he isn't there. Would the Wally have let Earnshaw go without the promise of spending to secure a decent replacement that hasn't since materialised?

In conclusion, I don't think their squad is good enough and money is needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here