Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Keane - Bottler

Ray Keano - Bottler

• Yes

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • The Beard confused me and now I don't know.

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Roy Keane always was and always will be a bottler, many of the tackles he's made in his career prove that. 'Hardmen' don't make nasty, malitious tackles, they make make hard fair ones. Anyone can make a 'tackle' like that one on Haaland, but it's just the sort of tackle only a bottle-job would make because they know the other person can't protect themself from it. Wanker and I hope that's the last we hear from him

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
cant link to you tube from my work computer , but had a look at quickly on one that isnt blocked and all the " keane v shearer " posts pretty much back up what i say, shearer stood there and keane could have got to him whenever he liked , but crucially didnt , until the man u players arrived and then he "wanted to know ", as for the "punch" he threw when shearer pushed him in the chest , what the f*** was that meant to be ? helen keller could've told he meant to miss him.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Roy Keane always was and always will be a bottler, many of the tackles he's made in his career prove that. 'Hardmen' don't make nasty, malitious tackles, they make make hard fair ones. Anyone can make a 'tackle' like that one on Haaland, but it's just the sort of tackle only a bottle-job would make because they know the other person can't protect themself from it. Wanker and I hope that's the last we hear from him

Is the correct answer.......good you tube clip with shearer....as has been said he said nothing until all his man u team mates ran over.....and even then shearer stood facing them all......no newcastle players ran over as they didnt need to, shearer was more than capable of dealing with them all.
A plastic hard man sums him up......and the likes of Patrick Viera...tossers!!
Any twat can make a reckless knee high challenge....what does that prove? Its a lot more dificult to make a hard but fair tackle and actually win the ball......did Keane ever manage this?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As i remember, Keane always used to have a 'quiet game' whenever Stuart Pearce was on the pitch

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think Roy Keane is a bottler. He wasn't as a player, or a manager. This 'failure' at Sunderland saw him take them from the bottom of the Championship to the Premier League, and keep them there for a season.

What managing at the top level has exposed is some flaw or psychological weakness in his make-up. Managing is bloody hard, anyone who doesn't think so is a fool, and not everyone can do it. Keane is highly intelligent but very impatient and not guarded enough, he needed to make jounalists work a bit harder for the hand grenades he was lobbing them on a weekly basis. He was putting himself under pressure.

I think it may be a while before Keane tries again, and he doesn't need it financially which is the difference between players now and 20 years ago. They either ran a pub, or became a manager. Now they don't have to do either.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Do you ever hear Mark Hughes making that claim? Of course not. Moreover, he's under considerably more pressure to get results than Ince and Keane were/are. He just gets on with his job without moaning, and without bailing.

Hughes is just waiting for the big fat pay off he will get from the Arabs when they decide he is not a big enough name to manage the 'world's richest club'...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The other thing is the prospect of the Man Utd job coming up soon is cranking up the pressure on some of these possible candidates.

With no obvious successor, a good few people who'd like the gig one day know they have to be doing well to be in with a shout.

Keane has blown it, Bruce hasn't done enough, Hughes needs to kick on with City. If England reach and do OK in South Africa, I can see United going for Capello.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
His biggest problem, apparently, was that he was too small when we gave him a trial and sent him packing back to Cork and kept McCarthy. No don't get me wrong, McCarthy was alright but wouldn't it have been nice to have Keane instead. Another bunch of what ifs.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The other thing is the prospect of the Man Utd job coming up soon is cranking up the pressure on some of these possible candidates.

With no obvious successor, a good few people who'd like the gig one day know they have to be doing well to be in with a shout.

Keane has blown it, Bruce hasn't done enough, Hughes needs to kick on with City. If England reach and do OK in South Africa, I can see United going for Capello.

i reckon it could be either martin o neil or possibly gordon strachan, although i reckon he may need to prove himself in the prem first.......with sunderland maybe.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
For someone who was such a piss head in his early career it's funny how much he expects of others.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For someone who was such a piss head in his early career it's funny how much he expects of others.

From yesterday's Times

The transfer market found his weakness and the club’s. Not long before Drumaville bought Sunderland, the club had fired its

chief scout to cut costs. When Keane arrived, there was no meaningful system of recruitment in place. And neither was he starting from a good place: good recruitment is as much contacts as the ability to judge players. When you’ve been a loner, recruitment is a nightmare.

Keane got players, plenty of them, but not the ones at the top of his list. As time passed, he was reminded of what it was that irritated him about very well-paid footballers. The lack of professionalism, the gloves and the bobble hats and the scarves some of them tried to wear at training, the meticulous way they fixed their hair before leaving the changing room, the bullshit of the badge-clutchers who played for no other reason than the money.

He tried to sort them out, railed against low standards, bad timing, excess body fat, and when three of his players were in a nightclub two days before the Chelsea match, he wondered what he was doing. A couple of months before that, the team hadn’t played well at home to Northampton in the Carling Cup, a few supporters abused him and afterwards, he reminded people he had not come to Sunderland to be abused and he would not accept it.

All the time, the sense grew that Keane wasn’t enjoying his work. There were reports, too many to dismiss, of flare-ups on the training ground involving the manager and too often, one saw the fear in the players’ performance.

The case of the midfielder Liam Miller was revealing. Three times he was transfer-listed by Keane. Miller decided to keep his head down, work hard and try to play his way back into the team. Keane noticed the effort, praised the player’s renewed efforts to journalists and once used Miller’s tenacity as a stick to beat other players when they had underperformed. Miller wasn’t in the dressing room when that was said and Keane never spoke directly to him.

That refusal to develop relationships with the players, to balance sometimes vicious criticism with a little empathy, meant that when the string of defeats came, Keane’s limited enjoyment of the job disappeared, replaced by demons who came to torture his soul. The only way to face the challenge of bad results is together and Sunderland, the manager and his players, were anything but together. In the circumstances, text messages to the chairman were of limited value.

Keane’s adviser and friend, Michael Kennedy, urged him to sign the two-year contract offered. Keane refused to sign, saying he hadn’t done enough to merit an extension. Most managers, feeling the heat, would have snatched that contract and signed it before getting inside. Keane retains a nobility that went out of the game when big money arrived.

Whatever the medium for his resignation message, the end was inevitable because he no longer had the stomach for the fight. That probably isn’t accurate enough. Rather, he no longer had the stomach for the game.

People noticed that when kids came to the training ground, he smiled and was soon bantering away with them and bringing them on a tour of the facilities. It was as if he was back on that FA course, talking with the bloke who ran the pub team, listening while the fellow was saying why he preferred 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 and loving it. At the training ground, he would show the kids into the changing room, “Careful now, lads,” he would say, “or you’ll be tripping over the hair gels.” They didn’t notice the loathing, but it was there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No.

I think he just realises he has enough money to not need all the stress.

If anything I think the main problem would be that as a player the very least he gave his manager was 100 per cent effort.

Quite often brilliant players have problems as a manager dealing with players who are not as good. I think with Keane the fact players were a) not as good and b) not putting the effort in, frustrated him.

Being a good player doesn't make you a good manager. He did a shit job considering he's spent 70 million in two years. Probably hack it as a reasonable Championship manager if he had money but I wouldn't want him down here.

I don't think he's a bottler he just hasn't got what it takes to manage at the top level.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd contrasts Keane's spartan backroom staff and isolated persona against Harry Redknapp's coterie.

Harry has worked out for him to do the job properly you need a tried and trusted assistant (Kevin Bond), an old head with a bit of grit (Jordan) and recently-retired club players to coach certain position and instill a bit of passion for the club (Sherwood, Ferdinand, Sheringham).

Keane's problem isn't that he is a bottler but that he needs a good team around him with a No. 2 that can absorb some of the heat and act as a foil.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
My feeling is that he walked this weekend as he could not face a thrashing from his old mates at United,then having to face Fergy.
I understand he is now hoping to return as the dream team manager assisted by Keegan,the bookies will make a mint on who walks first.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Keane bottler? Depends. Maybe he realised he has gone as far as he could, maybe some other managers should look at themselves and resign or leave by mutual consent.

He was a thug but to be fair he was immense in a champs league game against Juve in "that" cup run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here