Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROUTE S Bus (Shoreham)

justin72

Jul 27, 2005
Shoreham by Sea
But at the top of the page it says...

Football Buses to the Amex Stadium

Brighton & Hove Buses is pleased to be providing a network of bus routes serving the Amex Stadium on match days. The Albion are selling travel vouchers with their season tickets. You show your travel voucher to each driver on your way to the Stadium. You will also be able to show your smartcard season ticket to the driver for free travel to the match.

I'll be catching it on Tues from probably Hammy Lane. Took just over an hour on Friday.

I saw that as well. Do you normally just show your smartcard season ticket to the driver then?

BHAJ

Jun 17, 2011
Southwick
I just showed my season ticket on the "S" bus to the Leeds game, 90 mins from Shoreham High street. I'll be going in by train there and bus back Tuesday night.

justin72

Jul 27, 2005
Shoreham by Sea
I just showed my season ticket on the "S" bus to the Leeds game, 90 mins from Shoreham High street. I'll be going in by train there and bus back Tuesday night.

Excellent, thanks.

So, you don't have to bother with travel vouchers if you have a smartcard? Is that correct?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"The Albion are selling travel vouchers with their season tickets. You show your travel voucher to each driver on your way to the Stadium. You will also be able to show your smartcard season ticket to the driver for free travel to the match."

If you have neither, I think it will be the price of a regular ticket (£2 single, £4 saver ticket), I'm not sure if it counts as within the city or not, the website isn't particularly clear, but the footie specials aren't listened as one of the routes the citysaver isn't valid on.
I don't think they're allowed to take money. Lord B can give the chapter and verse but it's something to do with the bus not being registered with the Traffic Comissioners or something as a 'public' bus. Effectively it's more like a private hire.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think they're allowed to take money. Lord B can give the chapter and verse but it's something to do with the bus not being registered with the Traffic Comissioners or something as a 'public' bus. Effectively it's more like a private hire.

You're right, as is the other poster, I missed the bold text further down the page I linked to earlier in the thread that explained it.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Excellent, thanks.

So, you don't have to bother with travel vouchers if you have a smartcard? Is that correct?

I think the problem here is there is a big difference between what SHOULD be happening and what actually IS happening!

The club are 100% certain that everyone (other than those with senior citizen bas passes) SHOULD need a travel voucher to use these special buses, the park and ride buses and normal buses, however . . .

it would appear that the club pay Brighton & Hove Buses to provide these services and recoup some of the cost from the sale of travel vouchers, the club ask Brighton & Hove Buses to ensure only supporters who have these vouchers can get on the bus, however . . .

Some of the bus drivers can't be bothered to ask for them so wave people on with no evidence of them having paid to use the bus, and where Brighton & Hove Buses sub-contract the services to say Compass Bus then as they are getting paid regardless those drivers have no interest whatsoever in who gets on their bus!

The situation hasn't been helped with two contradictory statements on the Brighton & Hove Buses website, one saying everyone just needs to show their season ticket for free travel and one - apparently correctly - saying only those with club travel vouchers will be permitted to travel on the services.

My view, for what it's worth, is that paying for and showing travel vouchers is the intended way of being allowed onto any of these services and that the club will very soon ensure that this happens, however at the moment some buy travel vouchers and some travel for free which isn't fair and one of those ways has to stop very soon to ensure a fair and consistant approach.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Where at the stadium do you catch the S route back to Shoreham?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
In the coach park, the R, S, P and H buses are clustered in the centre, but don't go up the stairs outside the away end as they now block you with a barrier half way across. Make sure you go round the corner and up the stairs there. Don't join the P&R queue but join the general melee of people in the middle until you find the Route S.

The Original

Jan 25, 2010
50.83295°N 0.26815°W
In the coach park, the R, S, P and H buses are clustered in the centre, but don't go up the stairs outside the away end as they now block you with a barrier half way across. Make sure you go round the corner and up the stairs there. Don't join the P&R queue but join the general melee of people in the middle until you find the Route S.

How many buses do they lay on for the return journey and how quickly do you need to be round there to guarantee a seat?

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
S bus is 4, i'm in the WSU and leave a couple of minutes after the final whistle and take a casual walk to the bus stop and haven't had any problems getting one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here