Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roundabout protocol

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
When I took my test (OK 35 years ago) I was told that unless you are taking the first exit off a roundabout you should approach in the outside lane - I still do this. However, I've been told by a friend who is an instructor that the correct protocol now is that regardless whether it is the second third or fourth exit, if the direction you intend to exit is straight on then you should approach in the inside lane and you only move into the outside lane if you intend to take an exit that is to the right of straight on. WTF! When did that change and who figured it was a good idea? And why didn't they tell us old buggers who still do it the old way?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Highway Code. Pick the bones out of this...

Roundabouts (184-190) : Directgov - Travel and transport

dg_070540.jpg

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Yeah as I understand it (without following the CHEATERS link) I always stay in the left lane unless I'm going anywhere past 12 o'clock..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When I took my test (OK 35 years ago) I was told that unless you are taking the first exit off a roundabout you should approach in the outside lane - I still do this. However, I've been told by a friend who is an instructor that the correct protocol now is that regardless whether it is the second third or fourth exit, if the direction you intend to exit is straight on then you should approach in the inside lane and you only move into the outside lane if you intend to take an exit that is to the right of straight on. WTF! When did that change and who figured it was a good idea? And why didn't they tell us old buggers who still do it the old way?

Well, I did my test 27 years ago (blimey!) and I was taught that if the exit you are going for is straight-on or less, then it's the left hand lane, otherwise right-hand - I still do this, but I notice other people don;t seem to follow any rules.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Left lane for left turn or INSIDE land of 12 o'clock exit. Right lane anything else.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Yeah as I understand it (without following the CHEATERS link) I always stay in the left lane unless I'm going anywhere past 12 o'clock..

Same here, unless I am going into the right hand lane at 12 o'clock... in fact the picture above pretty much sums up my roundabout etiquette.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you'll find your friend is generally right (me being a trainee driving instructor and not quite yet up to the mark) . If the junction is to the right of '12 o'clock' you do go into the right hand lane and in the left lane for anything upto '12 o'clock'. However, it would be very unusual to find a roundabout where the 4th exit is at 12 o'clock. If you did, I would suspect there would be road markings on the approach directing you to use the right hand lane (unless of course there are further exits after the fourth).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some can be confusing though. There's a roundabout coming from Arundel towards Littlehampton that on the signpost is shown as straight on, yet it reality is actually at about 1 O'clock, if you get me.

My instructor would always get me to keep in the right hand lane to do this roundabout, and there is always problems with people getting in lane on that one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

So you change lanes according to whether its in the afternoon or not ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, and one thing that really AGGRAVATES me on roundabouts is where people INDICATE for the exit when they're actually going straight on. Divs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some can be confusing though. There's a roundabout coming from Arundel towards Littlehampton that on the signpost is shown as straight on, yet it reality is actually at about 1 O'clock, if you get me.

My instructor would always get me to keep in the right hand lane to do this roundabout, and there is always problems with people getting in lane on that one.

Not sure your instructor is right there. If the sing shows it as 12 o'clock, you should be in the left lane. If you are taking a test, that is where the examiner would expect you to be because you are demonstrating that you have taken in the info from the sign. You are more likely to lose marks if you ignore the sign and rely on local knowledge.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh, and one thing that really AGGRAVATES me on roundabouts is where people INDICATE for the exit when they're actually going straight on. Divs.

Or...

When people are on the roundabout and don't bother to signal at all, leaving the rest of us with a lottery of guessing where the clueless tosser in question is going.

Seven Dials is a prime example of this.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If you did that round the Chichester bypass the traffic would be at more of a standstill than it is now, and the outside lane would be empty. :US:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea

Correct. Stay left unless you are taking an exit past 'twelve o'clock' on the roundabout sign OR if signs indicate otherwise.

And never never never indicate right and then left if you are going straight ahead. People who do this should have their license taken away from them. Ok - that's a bit harsh - just hit them. Hard.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Not forgetting that you're supposed to GIVE WAY to vehicles approaching from the RIGHT.

Not pull out in front of them like a lot of idiots seem to do.....

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Nearly got into a row last weekend exiting Shoreham Beach in the left hand lane to go through the Airport (straight on) Mazda driver in the right hand lane got irate and was leaning on his horn, when I didn't take the first left.

I think he thought I was going to cut him up on the right turn, but what is totally inexplicable is that I was hardly racing my way around the roundabout, so have no idea why he felt aggrieved in any sense.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
***** on the Holmbush roundabout start in the LEFT lane then indicate RIGHT and go past 2 turnings which means they cut you up, nearly had some big smashes on there and lost my rag hundreds of times with f***ing idiots who dont know how to drive it properly...*****!

blimey K UNTS is being banned now is it?!?! sake!

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Take each one as it comes! They all merit your own input and thought. Through the book out of the window and use your common sense.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
My wife was taught the same as me (right hand lane on approach unless exiting at first exit) we're both starting to wonder how we passed our test now.
:dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here