Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
81864.jpeg

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
B2100 to Crowborough (turn left at the White Hart and go past All Saints Church), then A26 to Lewes, followed by A27 (to Mill Road) or A270 (to Mithras House) if you plan to use the Park and Ride; sorry, I don't know the best route to the racecourse - normally I'd have said past the stadium and up to Woodingdean, but I imagine the traffic would be solid; is Bear Road better? Alternatively, park in Lewes and take the bus or train, or in Crowborough (the car park by Waitrose is free) and get a 29 from Crowborough Cross. Lord Bracknell knows the fare. I think it is quite cheap: £4.50 or something like that.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
drive to lewes and park there. the station carpark is (obviously) very convenient (£5) or park elsewhere. return to falmer is a few quid only, the service is 8 mins or so and it's easy to get back after, the queues are gone quickly

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
the 29 bus goes through crowborough on its way to uckfield , onto lewes and right past the stadium.

you may have to change buses in uckers but the connection is usually quite quick

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Walk to Jarvis Brook, get a train to Uckfield, bus from Uckfield to Lewes and train from Lewes to Falmer. Easy.

Not sure about easy. Walk to Jarvis Brook from Rotherfield gonna take 20 mins on a busy road, wait for an hourly train to Uckfield, then a slow bus to Lewes & a train to Falmer. Think driving to Lewes is a lot easier especially to avoid a shit return journey & walking back up a nice hill to Rotherfield, on a busy road in the dark. Am I wrong?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You're welcome on the Seagulls Over Burwash coach Sir - PM if you want more details.

the 29 bus goes through crowborough on its way to uckfield , onto lewes and right past the stadium.

you may have to change buses in uckers but the connection is usually quite quick

Not sure about easy. Walk to Jarvis Brook from Rotherfield gonna take 20 mins on a busy road, wait for an hourly train to Uckfield, then a slow bus to Lewes & a train to Falmer. Think driving to Lewes is a lot easier especially to avoid a shit return journey & walking back up a nice hill to Rotherfield, on a busy road in the dark. Am I wrong?

Bus running times from Crowborough to Falmer are about 68 minutes; and from Uckfield to Falmer about 42 minutes. Bus 29 runs half-hourly to the game on Saturday. Return journeys are less frequent, though. To Uckfield at 7.17, 7.47, 8.32, 9.02 and to Crowborough at 7.17 and 9.02 only.

I would always choose to try to avoid the timewasting that comes from chopping and changing from buses to trains, or vice versa. A direct bus route is to be preferred over bus+train. As for changing from one to the other at Lewes - there's never a need to, if you are travelling to or from Uckfield or Crowborough.

The return adult bus fare from Crowborough or Uckfield to Falmer is £6.00 (ask the driver for a SAVER ticket), or £3.20 if you can buy one on-line. £3.50 from One Stop Travel, in Brighton.

Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company

Edit ... I've just noticed - you want to do this for the Leicester game on 4 February. What is set out above are the times for the Newcastle game. Buses back to Uckfield are approximately half-hourly until well after the final whistle. Crowborough buses leave Falmer at 5.26, 6.25, 7.17 and 9.02.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I would always choose to try to avoid the timewasting that comes from chopping and changing from buses to trains, or vice versa. A direct bus route is to be preferred over bus+train.

Whilst acknowledging your compendial familiarity with Sussex's public transport infrastructure, Lord B, may i humbly contest that one is more than occasionally obliged to change buses at uckfield, even if one is continuing on the 29 service, as they have bits of it that shuttle bton-uckfield, and other bits that go uckfield-tw

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Bus running times from Crowborough to Falmer are about 68 minutes; and from Uckfield to Falmer about 42 minutes. Bus 29 runs half-hourly to the game on Saturday. Return journeys are less frequent, though. To Uckfield at 7.17, 7.47, 8.32, 9.02 and to Crowborough at 7.17 and 9.02 only.

I would always choose to try to avoid the timewasting that comes from chopping and changing from buses to trains, or vice versa. A direct bus route is to be preferred over bus+train. As for changing from one to the other at Lewes - there's never a need to, if you are travelling to or from Uckfield or Crowborough.

The return adult bus fare from Crowborough or Uckfield to Falmer is £6.00 (ask the driver for a SAVER ticket), or £3.20 if you can buy one on-line. £3.50 from One Stop Travel, in Brighton.

Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company

Edit ... I've just noticed - you want to do this for the Leicester game on 4 February. What is set out above are the times for the Newcastle game. Buses back to Uckfield are approximately half-hourly until well after the final whistle. Crowborough buses leave Falmer at 5.26, 6.25, 7.17 and 9.02.

You're walking timetable man!!

Whilst acknowledging your compendial familiarity with Sussex's public transport infrastructure, Lord B, may i humbly contest that one is more than occasionally obliged to change buses at uckfield, even if one is continuing on the 29 service, as they have bits of it that shuttle bton-uckfield, and other bits that go uckfield-tw
I'm very aware of that. Sometimes the timetable shows what is called a "guaranteed connection". This, in fact, means that it is the same vehicle making a through journey. It's all to do with the UK regulations relating to the registration of local bus services and their eligibility for Bus Service Operators Grant, plus the need to tie in with drivers' hours rules (which means that, sometimes, drivers' movements have to be different from vehicle movements).

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
you could always find some one from Rotherfield/Crowborough area who is also going to match & car share to Lewes then the catch train. Even cheaper if there are 3 of you as you can get 3 for 2 return train tickets.

(used to live in Rotherfield, down Station Raod, miss The George, def the best pub, used to love Mark's curries, shame it was converted to housing)

Seagulls Over Burwash http://www.seagulloverburwash.co.uk if you can get to Heathfield we pick up from the fire station bus stop
The Stagecoach 252 bus runs from Rotherfield to Heathfield, leaving the Kings Arms at 1042, 1142, 1242 or 1342. Get off at the stop opposite the fire station. Journey time: about 20 minutes.

The last 252 bus from Heathfield to Rotherfield leaves Heathfield at 1830

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys - and the not-so-helpful ones! I should have mentioned I won't have a car as I'm only in UK for 10 days and don't need one. Although it would be useful on this one day!

If i can't find someone to car share with I'll probably book the Seagulls Travel bus from Crowborough, that would be the easiest and closest with direct transport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here