Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rory Stewart

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Good luck to him. He has really good ideas about devolution including reducing the number of MPs to 100 people and increasing the powers of local authorities with Mayors.

The People’s Republic Of Brighton and Hove can only get closer with him in charge.

He could devolve the U.K. whilst he is at it by disbanding the House of Lords, creating a new U.K. Parliament in Manchester or Liverpool and changing the HoC into an English assembly.

None of this is relevant though, as he wants to run for Mayor of London. :wrong:

I've just heard his interview on LBC, where he said he doesn't want to be PM (and then slated it as a worthy job) COMPLETLEY forgetting that he ran (a fairly decent) campaign to be PM the other month.. :wozza:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Tories have just lost a man of much talent, a man able to reach out to the the centre ground, someone who is articulate and intelligent.

Historically, the Tories have always been a broad church but Brexit will put paid to that, and this means it is increasingly unlikely they will be able to win a majority of seats in the House of Commons and - at the same time - no other political party (other than the Brexit Party) will want to have any dealings with them in a coalition or confidence and supply government.

For me, losing MPs like Stewart, Ken Clarke, Gyimah, Grieve, Greening will damage the Tory Party immensely - if not in the short term then undoubtably in the long-term once Brexit is resolved one way or the other. There's no way back into the Conservative fold for their kind.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
None of this is relevant though, as he wants to run for Mayor of London. :wrong:

I've just heard his interview on LBC, where he said he doesn't want to be PM (and then slated it as a worthy job) COMPLETLEY forgetting that he ran (a fairly decent) campaign to be PM the other month.. :wozza:

I might well be wrong, but I got the impression he stood for PM to try and stop either Gove or Johnson, rather than wanting to win.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hope he wins, he'll be a force for good. He is everything BJ is not

One day after we've hit rock bottom he'll be PM

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
His rubbery, simian-esque Oxford (and Eton) boat race is that of a guy well into his 50s. Old before his time is our privileged little Tory chum.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'll educate you regarding how Londoners vote for a Mayor.

It's usually a two fingers up to the present Government, or their party and we like someone who will stand up for London.

Bailey will never get in, he is is far too "on message" with the current Tory party.

We like a bit of independent thinking.

Lesson over, you can return to the cave.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

You also like a little bit of vote rigging.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hope politicians of ‘the middle ground thrive’ in future elections and within parties.

In a remarkably short time, intolerant right and left wing class warriors have taken control of the two main parties, preaching to the converted in Nuremberg style rallies, populism on steroids. A charter for racists, anti-semites, people who simply hate others not like them. Fuelled by fake internet news, sick race theories.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I hope politicians of ‘the middle ground thrive’ in future elections and within parties.

In a remarkably short time, intolerant right and left wing class warriors have taken control of the two main parties, preaching to the converted in Nuremberg style rallies, populism on steroids. A charter for racists, anti-semites, people who simply hate others not like them. Fuelled by fake internet news, sick race theories.

Not forgetting the party that claims to stand for the middle (ish) ground (Lib Dems) have lurched to the extremes. The party that calls for moderating language yet runs a 'Bollox to Brexit' campaign and no longer respects democratic results unless they get the result they want.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not forgetting the party that claims to stand for the middle (ish) ground (Lib Dems) have lurched to the extremes. The party that calls for moderating language yet runs a 'Bollox to Brexit' campaign and no longer respects democratic results unless they get the result they want.

Are you SERIOUSLY equating dog whistle words like surrender and traitor that lead to death threats with the word bollocks, which has been lifted for effect from a 70s punk album?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I might well be wrong, but I got the impression he stood for PM to try and stop either Gove or Johnson, rather than wanting to win.

Indeed. The sort of tory I would vote for. Astonishing how he sounds like an assistant at Moss Bros (suits you, sir) yet has a track record as a bloody action man. The total antithesis of the fat lying adulterer in charge of the current main tory shower.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you SERIOUSLY equating dog whistle words like surrender and traitor that lead to death threats with the word bollocks, which has been lifted for effect from a 70s punk album?

Not going to read the Prancing Ninny's post as I have him on ignore. But I will say that he has half a brain, at least, so his snidey posts full of factoid bollocks are a nasty disingenuous attempt to dog whistle as much gammon as he can get on board his tory bin van to nowhere. The plum.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

The LibDems are probably the most extreme, divisive force in British politics today, unfortunately, most of their followers are too arrogant or stupid to understand there are consequences (usually unpleasant) when democratic votes are wilfully ignored.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The LibDems are probably the most extreme, divisive force in British politics today, unfortunately, most of their followers are too arrogant or stupid to understand there are consequences (usually unpleasant) when democratic votes are wilfully ignored.

That is an unreal post.

Do you really think the Lib Dems are more extreme and divisive than the Tories under Johnson and Labour under Corbyn.

I mean really????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

So you’d rather have marxists or nationalists, both with racist followers, in power, over centrist politicians?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That is an unreal post.

Do you really think the Lib Dems are more extreme and divisive than the Tories under Johnson and Labour under Corbyn.

I mean really????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Democracy works in this and most countries because we all operate on the understanding that the result of a democratic event is respected and enacted no matter the outcome ... breaking that principle fatally undermines our system pushing people to the extremes (see Corbyn/Boris).

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I'll educate you regarding how Londoners vote for a Mayor.

It's usually a two fingers up to the present Government, or their party and we like someone who will stand up for London.

Bailey will never get in, he is is far too "on message" with the current Tory party.

We like a bit of independent thinking.

Lesson over, you can return to the cave.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Only problem with that is that labour were in power when Livingstone became mayor.

Two out of three ain’t bad. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here