Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ropetackle Beer/Music Festival - sold out tonight but plenty available tomorrow ...

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Just to save anyone making the journey and being disappointed - tonight's session featuring the reincarnated and mighty Piranhas, Chris T-T and Phil Jeays is completely sold out..but there are plenty left if you fancy joining us to (hopefully) celebrate another 3 points tomorrow evening...Fish Brothers, Anal Beard and Paul Carter, all proceeds to the Ropetackle, our volunteer run community arts centre. And of course 25 beers (to start with...) Cheers!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It might help if you gave the address where it's at - don't think I'll be able to make it in time though.

Just a thought - how old are the members of these bands. I always thought that punk bands should be compiosed of acne ridden spotty skinny 16 year olds shouting how much they hated everything at immense volume. I'm not sure that a reformed band made up of what are now potentially rather paunchy 45-50 year olds has the same cachet. I'm not sure how much of my youth I would want to revisit after all this time.
(PS. I've not come across the bands mentioned so if they aren't made up of paunchy 45-50 year olds but are in fact angry teenagers, my apologies in advance)

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
It might help if you gave the address where it's at - don't think I'll be able to make it in time though.

Just a thought - how old are the members of these bands. I always thought that punk bands should be compiosed of acne ridden spotty skinny 16 year olds shouting how much they hated everything at immense volume. I'm not sure that a reformed band made up of what are now potentially rather paunchy 45-50 year olds has the same cachet. I'm not sure how much of my youth I would want to revisit after all this time.
(PS. I've not come across the bands mentioned so if they aren't made up of paunchy 45-50 year olds but are in fact angry teenagers, my apologies in advance)

This was intended more as a heads up to those already thinking of coming rather than an advertisement for the gig, that's why I didn't put all the details in (Ropetackle's by the Norfolk Bridge in Shoreham) As for your second point, it's a cultural preference i suppose, I don't actually notice how old people are i just like the music they make or I don't :)
Give my regards to Northwich. Especially the Oddfellows Arms!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think I can definitely give this a miss with that type of music

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'm not sure that a reformed band made up of what are now potentially rather paunchy 45-50 year olds has the same cachet. I'm not sure how much of my youth I would want to revisit after all this time.

Looking forward to this tonight, being a paunchy mid forty year old myself, the Piranhas 'getting beaten up' was a school classic. Missed them last year so added bonus to see them alongside a very fine beer selection, may just blur the Murray hatrick tomorrow.

Any personal recomendations from tonights fare

Dark Star - M&M Special Porter (6.5%), Dark Star - Golden Gate (4.5%), Dark Star Partridge - Best Bitter (4.0%), Dark Star – Ropetackle Ginger Hop Special (4.7%), Thornbridge - Jaipur IPA (5.9%), Thornbridge - Brock (4.1%), Vale - Headbanger (5.0%), Crown – Hillsborough Pale Ale (3.9%), Crown – Brooklyn Black (5.8%), Northern – Freshly Squeezed (3.8%), Boggarts – Rum Porter (4.6%), Whitstable – Renaissance Ruby Mild (3.8%), Jarrow – Rivit Catcher (4.0%), Hepworth – Gauntlet (7.5%), Banks & Taylor – Dragons Gold (5.2%), Tring – Fiddler George (4.2%), Oakleaf – 10 Little Acorns (4.4%), Rother Valley – Honey Fuzz (3.8%), Nottingham – Dreadnought (4.5%), Milestone – Sherwood Stag (4.8%), Moles – Elmo’s Fire (4.4%), Brew Dog – Punk IPA (5.4%), Milton – Tiki (3.8%), Red Squirrel - Scottish Ale (4.3%), Flack Manor – Double Drop (3.7%), Shardlow – Five Bells (5.0%), 1648 – Ruby Mild (3.6%), Ramsgate – Gadds No. 7 (3.8%), Isle of Purbeck – Studland Bay Wrecked (4.5%), Crouch Vale – Brewers Gold (4.0%)

Does it all kick out by 11.30 tonight, trying to work out what late trains will deliver me back to Brighton.

Rock

Jan 31, 2008
I appreciate all sold out - however i was just wondering about any returns (are there any?!?!) or anyone on here got 2 for sale.. would love to see my old music teacher, who is in the Pirhanas (also - told the other half i couldnt go to a Jamie Oliver cooking thing as i am going to this.. oooops!)
thanks all

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Looking forward to this tonight, being a paunchy mid forty year old myself, the Piranhas 'getting beaten up' was a school classic. Missed them last year so added bonus to see them alongside a very fine beer selection, may just blur the Murray hatrick tomorrow.

Dark Star - M&M Special Porter (6.5%), Dark Star - Golden Gate (4.5%), Dark Star Partridge - Best Bitter (4.0%), Dark Star – Ropetackle Ginger Hop Special (4.7%), Thornbridge - Jaipur IPA (5.9%), Thornbridge - Brock (4.1%), Vale - Headbanger (5.0%), Crown – Hillsborough Pale Ale (3.9%), Crown – Brooklyn Black (5.8%), Northern – Freshly Squeezed (3.8%), Boggarts – Rum Porter (4.6%), Whitstable – Renaissance Ruby Mild (3.8%), Jarrow – Rivit Catcher (4.0%), Hepworth – Gauntlet (7.5%), Banks & Taylor – Dragons Gold (5.2%), Tring – Fiddler George (4.2%), Oakleaf – 10 Little Acorns (4.4%), Rother Valley – Honey Fuzz (3.8%), Nottingham – Dreadnought (4.5%), Milestone – Sherwood Stag (4.8%), Moles – Elmo’s Fire (4.4%), Brew Dog – Punk IPA (5.4%), Milton – Tiki (3.8%), Red Squirrel - Scottish Ale (4.3%), Flack Manor – Double Drop (3.7%), Shardlow – Five Bells (5.0%), 1648 – Ruby Mild (3.6%), Ramsgate – Gadds No. 7 (3.8%), Isle of Purbeck – Studland Bay Wrecked (4.5%), Crouch Vale – Brewers Gold (4.0%)

Does it all kick out by 11.30 tonight, trying to work out what late trains will deliver me back to Brighton.
Paunches of the world unite punk:punk:punk:
Personally I always preferred the 1977 version of the Sex Pistols than the 2007 versionpunk:punk:punk: but each to their own :banana::banana::banana:

I think you need to try each and every beer before you make any rash judgements. I haven't come across most of these. They don't seem to travel up this far. :down:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I might make an appearance tomorrow night

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Not the biggest fan of real ale, has to be said, but any time I was ever in The Evening Star, seemed to me that nobody knew very many of the beers. They just seemed to choose one based on a combination of funny name and alcohol by volume. I mean, do these beers actually exist in real life? How many pubs in Ramsgate could you go into and ask for a pint of 'Gadds No. 7'? If I asked for a 'Fiddler George' in Tring, what would I get other than possibly a bloke with a fiddle or a bloody good hiding? Do many of these beers actually exist other than as a single barrel of something random brewed in a half-bright bloke's bathtub for a laugh? Just asking, like :shrug:

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Not the biggest fan of real ale, has to be said, but any time I was ever in The Evening Star, seemed to me that nobody knew very many of the beers. They just seemed to choose one based on a combination of funny name and alcohol by volume. I mean, do these beers actually exist in real life? How many pubs in Ramsgate could you go into and ask for a pint of 'Gadds No. 7'? If I asked for a 'Fiddler George' in Tring, what would I get other than possibly a bloke with a fiddle or a bloody good hiding? Do many of these beers actually exist other than as a single barrel of something random brewed in a half-bright bloke's bathtub for a laugh? Just asking, like :shrug:

To be fair we drink in the Duke in Shoreham and I see none of what you mention. In fact quite the opposite. What time of day or week were you in the ES?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Um, I don't quite understand the question. Does 'any time Ive been in there since about 1980' help? :shrug:

Thought you didn't understand the question? So why answer it so sarcastically? I was wondering if you had only been in on a Friday night to see the youngs lads who buy ale by the alcohol content? Because they certinaly don't appear like that at the other Dark Star pub I referred to above in which we drink. Apologies for questioning your preconceived notion of ale drinkers....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here