Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooting for the Underdog - Wales

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can't help myself - wanted Wales to get a result last night. Not a big rugby fan but would happy for England to get turned over by Romania, Georgia and Scotland in their World Cup pool group. The only team to whom this doesn't ever apply is BHA, and I certainly won't be rooting for the lesser team that is Palace on 27th September.

As a nation we're apparently known for supporting the underdog....or is it just me?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Can't help myself - wanted Wales to get a result last night. Not a big rugby fan but would happy for England to get turned over by Romania, Georgia and Scotland in their World Cup pool group. The only team to whom this doesn't ever apply is BHA, and I certainly won't be rooting for the lesser team that is Palace on 27th September.

As a nation we're apparently known for supporting the underdog....or is it just me?
Are you English ? If so it's just you and you're a bit of a weirdo.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I did half-want Wales to equalize last night to teach the England players a lesson, especially as Earnshaw had gone so close.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I have little interest in the England football team so don't really care if they lose.

I have much more interest in the England Rugby team and at no point do I want someone else to beat them.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I wouldn't ever go into a game wanting England to lose to smaller nation, or any nation for that matter, but I wouldn't have been upset had Earnshaw tucked his chance away.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
If you are English then you have problems. Would rather wax my balls than support the Boyo's

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wales are England-lite though aren't they? For a small nation, they ought to have significant resources. A massive national stadium (and two smaller stadiums if required), and a wealth of British players with Welsh roots who would gladly play for Wales if they can't get near the England team. Instead, they bumble along from f*** up to f*** up, recruit crap manager, their players pick up pretend injuries so they don't have to play in friendlies which means they never get to build. They ought to be aiming for a top 50 place. They have now got a nucleus of what could be a cracking little squad, most of which would pick itself, making the manager's job that bit easier.

Watch them completely f*** it up as usual. I know they are minnows, but nevertheless they are still punching massively below their weight.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
couldn't care less about any England team other than the football one. I just don't relate to them. I might get caught up in some event some time and support them, but mostly couldn't care less. Especially rugby.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I always want England to win in every sport and regardless of who we're playing. Yes I do enjoy watching underdog nations beating the bigger ones - just so long as we're not on the end of the upset.

I have to say though that it depends on the sport and the context as to whether I'm just mildly disappointed with an England defeat or REALLY pissed off by one. An example: although I'm a big cricket fan I wasn't TOO upset when we lost to Ireland in the last World Cup as it was fun to watch, and because of the way the competition was structured it didn't make a fart of difference to our progress - and I knew we weren't going to win the thing anyway. On the other hand losing to Australia at conkers would upset me.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
On the other hand losing to Australia at conkers would upset me.

the only shred of enjoyment I get out of Rugby and Cricket is the occasional opportunity it gives me to wind up ozzie mates. especially as they can can't come back at me when England lose at those sports.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
some of you must be stark starring mad the welsh hate us (in sport) and will support any team playing us (English) I have lived in just about every part of the UK and have never come across the underlying distaste for our proud nation(England) even when I had my business in the heart of Brighton I met people from all over the world people have have been recently at war with and even they don't dislike us as much as the welsh.
you really have to live here to know just how most feel about the English although some have at least the decency to take people for what they are before judging them whatever the nationality.
and when you meet some of the bigots it always gives me great pleasure in reminding them that their national sport is named after an English town and that wales is in fact a principality within the UK

and calm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm with [MENTION=525]Cheeky Monkey[/MENTION] - I don't feel any empathy with the England football team and struggle to support them (although I do). Last night, I found myself thinking that it would be nice if they Welsh scored. The Taffs were better than us and, quite frankly, they looked like the game meant more to them (even though they were already mathematically out of the tournament).

Interestingly, I think Wales will do comparitively well if they can keep the current team together. They pass the ball around, and play for the shirt. Good on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here