Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney's Dive.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Repugnant Toad said:
Rubbish. I can half-understand a striker letting himself go over when there is contact, albeit not enough to make him trip, but enough to cause him to lose control of the ball. But when there is absolutley no contact, and a player throws himself in the air, that's just cheating. Rooney's gone down a lot in my estimation.

In that case, this form of cheating is part of the modern game so much that it can't really be called cheating, as much as it is now deemed common place. You still with me?

The defender (experience international) should, and probably does know better. If an attacker has the chance to go for a penalty he will (unless the chance of baging it is very high).

I itterate. It's not right, but it is acceptable.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
kinkygerbil said:
as i said earlier for some reason everyone is blaming the ref and nothing has beed said bout rooney cheating

Biscuit - "You can't blame the ref for giving it, you cant blame the player for going for it... the blame lies with the defender."

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
95% of all players cheat at some point, unless video evidence is used during the game, this will never be stamped out. I personally would not like see the use video evidence as it would slow the game down, however it is the only way to stamp this kind of cheating out.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Village - a good hearty debate is a healthy thing. At the end of the day, the actions by the players effects us all, in a round about way - people cheat, whether it be at the Withdean, Old Trafford or the San Siro

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Biscuit said:
Biscuit - "You can't blame the ref for giving it, you cant blame the player for going for it... the blame lies with the defender."

BISCUIT!!

It is part of the game, you can blame the attacker for going for it, you can't really balme Campbell because he has not caused Rooney to go down. Rooney chose, instead of trying to go past Campbell which would have quite clearly resulted in a penalty anyway, to fling himself in the air. His fault, can't blame the referee and it looked like a penalty straight away. It's jjust a shame Rooney dived when he could have gotten the penalty fairly if he had done nothing more than run into Campbells leg.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whilst video replays would slow games down, the FA / Premier League should be able to look at incidents like this after the game and hand out bans / fines to players who are caught blatantly cheating.

Unfortunately, because it's commonplace now, you see it at U8 level (I kid you not) and I find that VERY depressing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cheating is all-pervasive in the modern game, and the onus is on the officials (both on and off the pitch) to get their act together to increase the detection rate and provide adequte punishment.

The more money there is at stake the worse the cheating is.

To illustrate this point both sets of Man Utd and Arsenal players know that a penalty here or sending-off there is likely to be decisive, which is why these games degenarte into a card / cheat fest.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
BISCUIT!!

It is part of the game, you can blame the attacker for going for it, you can't really balme Campbell because he has not caused Rooney to go down. Rooney chose, instead of trying to go past Campbell which would have quite clearly resulted in a penalty anyway, to fling himself in the air. His fault, can't blame the referee and it looked like a penalty straight away. It's jjust a shame Rooney dived when he could have gotten the penalty fairly if he had done nothing more than run into Campbells leg.

I think that's a very fair argument. Not much I can say to that. Interesting debate though, who was more to blame?

Indeed, its probably not the defender, attacker or referee.. the blame falls at the feet of the FA. Is it time for video ref's now? A whole new can of worms has been opened methinks!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Rooney is MOST to blame because he was the person who CHEATED.

I can't believe anyone could argue otherwise in this case to be honest.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Rooney is MOST to blame because he was the person who CHEATED.

I can't believe anyone could argue otherwise in this case to be honest.

Well I stick by everything I said. He cheated. Fact. But everyone cheats and almost everyone gets away with it. (Again, Im not saying its right, its just the way things are). To the extent that any striker who sees a stray leg in the area is gunner (pardon the pun) go to ground!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, but when cheating is so commonplace and you lose points because of it, the stage is soon reached where NOT to have cheated becomes unacceptable to the fans.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Rooney did cheat and will carry on doing it in my opinion - even for England, but then as I said so do 95% of players - even Albion players, I hate to see it the game, but as Biscuit stated, until the FA get a grip on what goes on the pitch then the majority of players will continue to dive, they don't care

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Yes, but when cheating is so commonplace and you lose points because of it, the stage is soon reached where NOT to have cheated becomes unacceptable to the fans.

Very good point, which is why the FA must crack down and punish those who do cheat ASAP before it spirals out of control.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Artful Ninga said:
Rooney did cheat and will carry on doing it in my opinion - even for England, but then as I said so do 95% of players - even Albion players, I hate to see it the game, but as Biscuit stated, until the FA get a grip on what goes on the pitch then the majority of players will continue to dive, they don't care

:clap2: I'll clap to that.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Campbell got his leg out of the way as fast as he possibly could, and didn't touch Rooney. I fail to see what more he could have done - blaming him, when Rooney dived, is extraordinary.

What are defenders supposed to do? Give everybody two yards in the penalty box and let them run past them, just in case they find their feet close enough to the striker to 'justify' the striker flinging himself on the floor?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Biscuit said:
I think that's a very fair argument. Not much I can say to that. Interesting debate though, who was more to blame?

Indeed, its probably not the defender, attacker or referee.. the blame falls at the feet of the FA. Is it time for video ref's now? A whole new can of worms has been opened methinks!

I'll agree with that - the striker is to blame for cheating, but if it is so widespread, it must be clamped down on. When someone has clearly dived (and this should be proveable with the aid of retrospective camera angles), this should be met with the same three-match ban (if not more) that a straight red would result in.

The F.A clearly has work to do.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Repugnant Toad said:
The F.A clearly has work to do.

They have done for the last so many years! They never introduce anthing radical. They just sit around 'tinkering' with already perfectly fine rules!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
its just a shame that a 25 million player who is apparently the most talented player in england has to dive. all respect to him if he had won the penalty by running into campbells leg and falling over but the fact that he NEVER MADE ANY CONTACT with campbells leg must mean he just flung himself in the air!

and yes it was worse than pires dive against pompey.at least he made the effort to run into the blokes leg! :lolol:

and it was against pompey!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here