Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney - Further Bids

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Man Utd have advised they have tabled a £20m bid although Newcastle advise they voted £22m.

It would seem he may well go in the next few days.

Personally Everton must accept this madness money - £20m buys a minimum of four quality players.

Do you think Rooney is well over priced ?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Standard reported Newcastle would offer £25m.

Newcastle are a bigger club than Everton but nowhere near as big as ManUre (who could actually do with a striker at the moment).

Newcastle already have four quality strikers.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's a risk. He'll either blow all his wealth on some slapper (and then some more of it on trying to get his girlfriend back) and consequently never fulfil his potential or he will go on to become one of the greatest players this country has ever produced. Signing any player is a risk, but obviously the risk is magnified here because of the enormous fee involved and his very young age. £20m is probably not overpricing him though considering his age and potential. However if I was an Everton fan I'd hate to see him go as I fear most of the fee will just go towards servicing the club's vast debt.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
It is hardly a waste of money. In the short term he is likely to score goals, and at such a young age he is going to have a high resale value.

Are all these stories in The Sun and NOTW true? And if so, are they really relevant?

Unless he is going to miss the season with Gonorrhea I do not think they are.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
No-one ever said it was a waste. I was simply pointing out that any signing has an element of risk, and £20m on a teenager is a big risk. It's one I'd take were I Fergie (heaven forbid) or Bobby, but nevertheless it's not impossible that he'll suffer a major injury etc. or simply never fulfil his potential

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He isn't worth anything close to the silly money being bandied about. What has he done to justify that kind of fee? OK-he had a good Euro 2004 but he couldn't even get into the Everton side last season.

EFC must be laughing themselves silly at the moment. Take the money-he's going to end up as another Gazza, only faster 'cos he'll be earning shitloads more than the fat one.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Everton would do well to try for a cash plus player deal. It seems both Newcastle and ManUre are offering £20mish in cash, which Everton won't accept. But £20m plus a player may swing it?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Everton need to have a striker lined up already if they are to sell him. Kevin Campbell, Duncan Ferguson and Brian McBride will not score the goals to keep them out of trouble. I fear for them.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Everton need to have a striker lined up already if they are to sell him. Kevin Campbell, Duncan Ferguson and Brian McBride will not score the goals to keep them out of trouble. I fear for them.

Especially as McBride plays for Fulham!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bwian said:
OK-he had a good Euro 2004 but he couldn't even get into the Everton side last season.

thats hardly fair comment, Moyes has tried to nuture him and let him grow physically and mentally, rather than throw him on for 30 odd plus games to get suspended/injured.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea would be a strange move. Maurinho likes to play the same team every game if he can and his starting pair are Gudjohnsen and Drogba. Rooney would be coming off the bench f at all which could be a good thing but I'd like to see him getting more starts now.

On the subject of Chelsea, Joe Cole looked good for them. Let's hope Maurinho can make him the player he's always promised to be.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
samparish said:
He'll either blow all his wealth on some slapper (and then some more of it on trying to get his girlfriend back)

I'd think his girlfriend would be more worried about trying to get him back. A meal ticket like Rooney isn't going to come along twice in her lifetime.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
beorhthelm said:
thats hardly fair comment, Moyes has tried to nuture him
Surely you mean "neuter"...would have saved a lot of trouble in the long run.
:lolol:

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
In a world where Didier Drogba is worth £24m, Rooney must be worth all of that. I hope he goes to Newcastle, just so Man Utd lose out really!

Perhaps we could table a bid, £26.50 plus Dan Harding. Moyes might not spot the fact there's no 'm' on the end of £26.50 and go for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here