Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney ban reduced to 2 games

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
After last night's performance it will not matter. He will not be picked.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To be completely accurate, actually, the ban HASN'T been reduced to 2 games.

The third match ban has been SUSPENDED for FOUR YEARS. Read the article.

Bit bizarre, eh?

Interesting. So if the ref reports him for his supposed post match ranting (I didn't turn over for fear it would cause a utd fight back so don't know how bad this alleged ranting was), it could be reinstated? That would be so funny.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
More interesting than the reduction itself is the FA's decision to appeal in the first place. As the disciplinary body of football in our country they've pretty much guaranteed that there is now no such thing as a frivolous appeal against a red card and in fact there's now a real precedent for reducing 3 match bans for violent conduct. It's a rod for their own back and Premiership team lawyers up and down the country will just be waiting to pick them up on this.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So he's back for the Ukraine game on the 19 June, which I wouldn't mind betting that we'll need to win to go through...

but what's the betting he'll get sent off in that game?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
How about the thought that, if the 3 game ban was upheld meaning that he wouldnt play in the group stages, chances are Capello wouldn't have taken him, which would be not only bad news for England but the sponsors, who'd lose advertisement money. If i'd put this on the 'conspiracy theory thread' i could have suggested that maybe some sponsors particularly those who Rooney is contracted to, may have put pressure on the appeal commitee. But i put it on this thread so i wont suggest it. :whistle:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
More interesting than the reduction itself is the FA's decision to appeal in the first place. As the disciplinary body of football in our country they've pretty much guaranteed that there is now no such thing as a frivolous appeal against a red card and in fact there's now a real precedent for reducing 3 match bans for violent conduct. It's a rod for their own back and Premiership team lawyers up and down the country will just be waiting to pick them up on this.

Well, I think their argument is a percentage game, thing. A three match ban at international level is half the euro 2012 tournament. At premier league level it's less than one 12th of the competition.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Don't all strikers get most of their goals against inferior opposition? Generally you come up against a very good side, a very good defence and there isn't going to be a lot of goals in it generally.

Great strikers get goals whenever. Rooney is not the messiah he's a very naughty boy and people who think he should be auto picked for every England game or think we should be taking him to euro's even when he had 3 game suspension are delusional. Maybe just 2 games suspension it could be a more grey area. I just don't like the thought of taking players, no matter who they are who can't play. Like those carrying injuries or those who are under suspension or even taking players just for the experience. Sven being in charge has left me very wary of these kind of decisions :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a bloody farce. Patrick Barclay spoke on Sunday about how the FA should accept the 3-game ban, take their medicine and then maybe, just maybe, UEFA and FIFA might start to respect us a bit more. I could see his point. And then this happens.

Now there's all sorts of permutations re the first 2 games:

6 points: Who needs Rooney?
4 points: Rooney comes in, we lose to Ukraine and go out on goal difference.
1 or 2 points: Winless. Probably too much negative press and in-fighting in the squad to pull it round, with or without Rooney.
0 points: We're out already. Rooney scores a hat-trick / gets sent off.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Agreed they have opened the floodgates to appeals now, Rooney was out of order and deserved the 3 match ban irrelevant of his contribution to the national team, my guess is the financial implication where brought into the decision. What would have been the sponsors reaction if he had a 3 match ban and England bombed out of the group stages?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a bloody farce. Patrick Barclay spoke on Sunday about how the FA should accept the 3-game ban, take their medicine and then maybe, just maybe, UEFA and FIFA might start to respect us a bit more. I could see his point. And then this happens.

Now there's all sorts of permutations re the first 2 games:

6 points: Who needs Rooney?
4 points: Rooney comes in, we lose to Ukraine and go out on goal difference.
1 or 2 points: Winless. Probably too much negative press and in-fighting in the squad to pull it round, with or without Rooney.
0 points: We're out already. Rooney scores a hat-trick / gets sent off.

It's a squad. In the unlikely event England have 6 points after 2 games, Capello doesn't have to pick him and can stay with a winning team. However in any championship, if you've won your group with a group game to spare, you would tend to play a fair few of the squad players who haven't played yet anyway.

1 pt, we're pretty much out, so the Rooney argument is irrelevant as to whether you took him or not anyway.

2 pts, we've not played well, so surely Rooney is exactly the sort of player you want to bring in.

3 pts, we've had one win, one defeat, Rooney may get on the bench depending on what's happened.

There is a massive difference between Rooney being in the squad, and Rooney being picked for a match. I'd have him in my squad, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd put him in my starting XI depending on how things have gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here