Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roof work - how much?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Many tradesmen I know (not like - know) make most of their profit on the mark up on materials. How much depends on them. If they are a reasonable sized operation they will bee getting substantially below the price you'd be quoted in the same establishment.

This is a bloke with what seems to be his wife. I doubt he gets volume discounts.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is a bloke with what seems to be his wife. I doubt he gets volume discounts.

He'll still get some trade discount from the builders merchants though. I see you're putting your house on the market , are you after Dick Knight's luxury villa (Casa Wembley 1983) in Spain ? :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He seems to have finished at the front.

I don't have a 'before' photo, but I don't believe we had some of the board sticking out like this before. It's been cemented on the top. Surely if left like this the board will just get wet quickly and rot?

edyva3ab.jpg

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
That doesn't look good. There should be an eaves fascia board attached to the gutter fascia, with a soffit board. The tiles should have a full sand and cement fillet

Swish_Building_Products_PVC_U_fascias_8.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], but that looks f***ing dreadful. And given the fact this two bob operation have done about 2 hours work so far today, they will be on Watchdog in the next year or two.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
is he practicing on your house before doing some DIY? doesn't look like a professional job i'm afraid mate :nono:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Did the wife of the partnership do this bit?

Did he/she take off the original fascia board then re-fix it?
If its long at one end as per your photo, is it short the other end?
Had he lifted the tiles and put a new sarking felt under the tiles and into the gutter?
The Antikythera Mechanism's phioto above is not as per your example.
You have tiled verge, so the gap between the tiles and the under cloaking board should be cemented.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just spoke to him...

- Says it's not finished yet - too big a gap to fill in, in one go. Says it was like this originally, and he may be right. This is probably the best shot I can manage - it's from the agent details when we bought the house. Looks like it was filled with cement below the line of tiles as it will be when he's finished.

Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 14.58.51.png

- I explained I have no objection paying for a good job to be done but it feels frightfully expensive for the time he seems to have put in - I estimate at 12-13 hours to date, more tomorrow, he seems to think he'll finish. He says his daily rate is £150-£175 and will give me a full breakdown when complete.

Not sure where I stand if he claims, say, 4 days work because he's been here for 4 days but has only done, say, 16 hours work. Even if he does claim 4 days work, I'm not sure how he's going to find over £1000 worth of materials from. Could be interesting.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just Jamie him if he rips you off Bozza

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just spoke to him...

- Says it's not finished yet - too big a gap to fill in, in one go. Says it was like this originally, and he may be right. This is probably the best shot I can manage - it's from the agent details when we bought the house. Looks like it was filled with cement below the line of tiles as it will be when he's finished.

View attachment 39558

- I explained I have no objection paying for a good job to be done but it feels frightfully expensive for the time he seems to have put in - I estimate at 12-13 hours to date, more tomorrow, he seems to think he'll finish. He says his daily rate is £150-£175 and will give me a full breakdown when complete.

Not sure where I stand if he claims, say, 4 days work because he's been here for 4 days but has only done, say, 16 hours work. Even if he does claim 4 days work, I'm not sure how he's going to find over £1000 worth of materials from. Could be interesting.

Be sure to keep us posted please. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Be sure to keep us posted please. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

I'm not sure where we stand with it as, technically, we agreed the price.

However, that was done believing it was a fair few solid days work.

I'm struggling to see how it won't take quite some creativity to get to that figure though on an itemised bill.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I'm not sure where we stand with it as, technically, we agreed the price.

However, that was done believing it was a fair few solid days work.

I'm struggling to see how it won't take quite some creativity to get to that figure though on an itemised bill.

To be honest you cannot say much provided he does a quality job. If I was you I would ask him how much materials are going to be used, work out his day rate by how many hours he has actually worked. Without a breakdown of what he is meant to do, your hands are pretty tied as you wont know until he has finished. Whatever you do dont pay him all the money straight away as that will take away any leverage you have. Does his figure include VAT? if he says yes ask for his VAT number.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Surely any price discussed would be no more than an estimate? If he did more work that originally planned he'd certainly charge you extra, so if it's a quicker/cheaper job than estimated the costs should be less.

I wouldn't feel duty bound to pay the full amount without seeing the breakdown of costs you've requested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here