Back in Sussex
What are the ballpark figures for...

A roof bloke to work on your roof per hour or per day
Lead flushing
Replacement tiles

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Between £150-£200 per day, though if your having it done what you really want is price work. Basically get quotes for everything you want doing. Also don't assume the cheapest is the best as it is very easy to say things have been done right as very few people will go up and check and even if they did wouldnt know if it was done right.
Best to go with someone who has done work for a friend etc. But as I say a decent rule of thumb is £150-£200 per day, if you give me more details of how much needs doing I can give you a rough price of what you should expect to pay.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Small porch, about 6-7 feet wide, at the front of the house had a leak. The lead flushing had developed a quite big split in it. Job is to do something like take the tiles off, put new board and felt up there, new lead flushing where the porch joins the house. At the back of the house there was another leak. Seems the waterproofy stuff was not coming far enough forward so was letting rain in which eventually worked it's way into the house. Roof is probably 20-25 feet wide here. So tiles off the lower section of the roof, do whatever needs doing underneath, put them back on, replacing any broken ones.

This stuff is going on at the moment.

When the chap was doing the back, he found the timber behind the fascia where the roof joins the house was rotten through. I've been up there myself and seen it. The wood is sodden, crumbly and falling apart. It's a miracle that the fascia and guttering are still on the wall if I'm honest. So all the fascia and guttering needs taking down and the timber replacing. The water has, it seems, also damaged some of the lower sections of the roof joists, so they are to be cut away, with new timber replacing them and bolted into place.

The first stuff was to cost £550. The second bit £1400.

We seemed to be in a bit of a catch-22 on the second bit as stuff was already off the roof and if we'd said 'no', then it would still need doing by someone who'd have to start from scratch. It feels an awful lot though.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
You should always get someone in who you know.

Nooney's just up the road. He's busy on Saturday but only for about 90 minutes.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
You should always get someone in who you know.

Nooney's just up the road. He's busy on Saturday but only for about 90 minutes.

Actually forget that.

He'll probably look like he knows what he's doing but the end product will be shit. He'll do a much better job on your neighbours house too.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
On the first bit, why do the boards and felt need replacing? I take it that was the cause of the leak, why the need to replace all the boards though? has he explained it.
The second bit sounds right considering you have seen it is actually rotten. I take it for granted that those prices include materials. To be honest he does seem on the higher side of the spectrum, even considering the work involved.

In future, never agree then and there to have the work done as people are not as competitive with pricing then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the first bit, why do the boards and felt need replacing? I take it that was the cause of the leak, why the need to replace all the boards though? has he explained it.
The second bit sounds right considering you have seen it is actually rotten. I take it for granted that those prices include materials. To be honest he does seem on the higher side of the spectrum, even considering the work involved.

In future, never agree then and there to have the work done as people are not as competitive with pricing then.

The board were water damaged, which I'd expect as the leak had been going on for some time, through the crack in the lead flushing.

Agree on the second point, but we were at a stage with part of the roof being off, a piece of timber resembling paper mache, and a bloke already on site getting stuff done.

I asked him for a breakdown yesterday, so hopefully I'll get it today when he turns up. He's not here yet, but he doesn't know I'm at home today either. I don't think I'll have any grounds to kick back on his breakdown, given the verbal agreement, although I did think he said £1400 in total and not another £1400 at the time. He put me straight on that one quick enough!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Make sure you get a proper breakdown, if he is genuine then he has nothing to hide. If you want to email it to me, I will pm an email address to you and then I can email it to a roofer friend to check it and he will let me know if it is right and obviously he will know more than me.
At the weekend I changed a sink over for my aunt as the basin was cracked, it took me an hour. Her cheapest quote was £150.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the board and felt being replaced makes sense now, also im not being a smart ass but its lead flashing, that way the roofer will think you know a bit of what your talking about and then will not try and rip you off.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
He's still not here. How many hours are there in a day's work? At least 7, right?

except on poets day. which is tomorrow. and every friday for that matter. (Piss Off Early Tomorrows Saturday)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Upvc fascias/soffits and gutters approx £75-£100 /metre, to include new sarking felt (the overhang into the gutters), and if rafter ends are rotten then usually done on a daywork basis, whatever his hourly rate is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has no one let you know it's lead 'flashing' rather than lead 'flushing' yet?

Yes, see above.

Upvc fascias/soffits and gutters approx £75-£100 /metre, to include new sarking felt (the overhang into the gutters), and if rafter ends are rotten then usually done on a daywork basis, whatever his hourly rate is.

The fascias and guttering are fine - they were replaced a couple of years ago. It's the timber behind that is the issue.

Are the shelves still up?

Yes. And I've gone from strength to strength - our built-in washing machine has the matching kitchen door on it now too. It's only taken about 4 years and putting the house on the market to achieve.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Yes, see above.

The fascias and guttering are fine - they were replaced a couple of years ago. It's the timber behind that is the issue.

Yes. And I've gone from strength to strength - our built-in washing machine has the matching kitchen door on it now too. It's only taken about 4 years and putting the house on the market to achieve.

They will have to take the fascia and gutters off to change the rafter feet where rotten.
The ones you had done a couple of years ago, if they have cladded over the existing timber, then it is probably only 10mm cappit board. which will be crap to put back on its own.
Dont want to alarm you, but if its being done properly, then you would need minimum 16mm solid fascias without the timber fascia behind it.
If the gutters and brackets can be reused then that is a bonus.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He'll probably look like he knows what he's doing but the end product will be shit. He'll do a much better job on your neighbours house too.
:lol:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Do tradesmen usually charge for materials at cost?

Many tradesmen I know (not like - know) make most of their profit on the mark up on materials. How much depends on them. If they are a reasonable sized operation they will bee getting substantially below the price you'd be quoted in the same establishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here