Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Romario set to join...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
...Garforth Town :lolol:

Brazilian World Cup legend Romario is to play with non-league West Yorkshire side Garforth Town next season.

The club said the former Barcelona star and Fifa World Player of the Year, who recently announced his retirement, will play for Garforth next season.

The 39-year-old, who plays in Brazil for Vasco de Gama, will follow the lead of another Brazilian great, Socrates.

He turned out for Garforth earlier this season because of his links with Simon Clifford, the club owner.

Clifford, a former primary school teacher, runs a series of Soccer Schools in Brazil, as well as his involvement with Garforth, who play in Northern Counties East Division One.

Clifford was responsible for enticing Socrates, 50, to sign a one-month contract which saw him make his debut against Tadcaster in November 2004.

Clifford's masterplan is to bring Garforth into the Premiership by 2025. A previous attempt to snap up Romario failed.

Romario was once one of the biggest names in football - a top striker for Barcelona and the star of the 1994 World Cup.

His arrival at Garforth, a former pit village, will be a far cry from playing in front of huge Latin American crowds - the Marston Stadium has a capacity of 3,000.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Blimey, how the mighty have fallen, I once saw him score a hat-trick for PSV in a Dutch league game during the time that Bobby Robson was their manager. He was an amazing talent, I would rate Romario as the best player I have ever seen play, simple as that.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Gully said:
Blimey, how the mighty have fallen, I once saw him score a hat-trick for PSV in a Dutch league game during the time that Bobby Robson was their manager. He was an amazing talent, I would rate Romario as the best player I have ever seen play, simple as that.

I wouldn't say he's fallen. He's 39 and retired. He's never going to play for a real club. He's probably happy getting a run out as long as he gets to play. I doubt he needs the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here