Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Romain Vincelot

We're signing a lot of players from League One and League Two clubs. It might be a bit of a risk. Maybe we should invest in solid Championship players (like Buckley) more?

I think there's a balance, and I think so far Poyet has it about right. He's signed a couple of very good Championship players as clear first teamers (Buckley, CMS) and a couple of the best players we came up against last season as squad players (Hoskins, Vincelot). I think CMS is a bit of a special case as while he was a League One player last year he was clearly far too good for that league.

Championship players are likely to be more expensive in terms of both transfer fees and wages. If we can find players (that Gus believes are) of the same quality in League One, it's got to be more cost effective. I also think our reputation (in terms of attracting players) is much stronger in League One (most of whom witnessed our performances last year) than in the Championship (where on our last couple of visits we've struggled horribly).

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I think there's a balance, and I think so far Poyet has it about right. He's signed a couple of very good Championship players as clear first teamers (Buckley, CMS) and a couple of the best players we came up against last season as squad players (Hoskins, Vincelot). I think CMS is a bit of a special case as while he was a League One player last year he was clearly far too good for that league.

Championship players are likely to be more expensive in terms of both transfer fees and wages. If we can find players (that Gus believes are) of the same quality in League One, it's got to be more cost effective. I also think our reputation (in terms of attracting players) is much stronger in League One (most of whom witnessed our performances last year) than in the Championship (where on our last couple of visits we've struggled horribly).

I think Hoskins would be a bit narked if he is thought of as just a squad player, I have much bigger hopes for him than that, but I understand where you're coming from. I see absolutely no issue with bringing in players from leagues 1 & 2 if Gus thinks they are right, the poster who quoted Crofts going to Norwich and excelling is a very good example. As things stand now we are in need of depth to the squad so can't see us paying big figures for players who are going to initially be cover for existing players. Hopefully Vincelot, if he does come, will force the others to up their game even more and push for his own starting place.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Gus Poyet has turned Adam El Abd into a footballer. El Abd was a third division reserve defender prone to regular stupid errors.

If he can do that with El Abd, imagine what he could do with a lad who was already the outstanding player at a club more or less at the same level as we were before Poyet got started.

There is plenty of room for the likes of Vincelot, give the bloke a bloody chance.

Spot on

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I like this signing. 12 goals from a non-striker in TBH a pretty poor side sounds good to me. IMO, he is our attacking midfielder and this signing excites me more than Owen Caravan who has spent the last 2 years on the bench!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I like this signing. 12 goals from a non-striker in TBH a pretty poor side sounds good to me. IMO, he is our attacking midfielder and this signing excites me more than Owen Caravan who has spent the last 2 years on the bench!

Absolutely, I see this lad getting quite a lot more game time in the middle of the park than people think, yet still offers that cover at right back that we were after.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Nothing confirmed yet (unless I blinked and missed it), should I be worrying?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus Poyet has turned Adam El Abd into a footballer. El Abd was a third division reserve defender prone to regular stupid errors.

If he can do that with El Abd, imagine what he could do with a lad who was already the outstanding player at a club more or less at the same level as we were before Poyet got started.

There is plenty of room for the likes of Vincelot, give the bloke a bloody chance.

This... the El-Abd conversion is a minor miracle, and we KNOW Gus likes Vincelot as a player...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The word Swoop has been used, it is a done deal:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11741_7037663,00.html

Seagulls to swoop
Vincelot lined up by Gus Poyet
By Graeme Bailey - Tweet me: @skygraemebailey. Last Updated: July 15, 2011 10:39am

The Dagenham & Redbridge man has long been linked with a move to the South Coast club, and skysports.com revealed in November last year they were looking at him.

A number of teams from the Championship down to League Two have been following him, and Bradford City even made a bid earlier this week.

But Brighton have moved into pole position to land the 25-year-old, who was a huge success after being converted from a full-back to a midfielder.

It is understood Brighton have now agreed terms with both Dagenham and the player, who is due on the South Coast for a medical.

Seagulls boss Gus Poyet admitted earlier this week he was seeking to sign another five players before the start of the new season.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
The word Swoop has been used, it is a done deal:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11741_7037663,00.html

Seagulls to swoop
Vincelot lined up by Gus Poyet
By Graeme Bailey - Tweet me: @skygraemebailey. Last Updated: July 15, 2011 10:39am

The Dagenham & Redbridge man has long been linked with a move to the South Coast club, and skysports.com revealed in November last year they were looking at him.

A number of teams from the Championship down to League Two have been following him, and Bradford City even made a bid earlier this week.

But Brighton have moved into pole position to land the 25-year-old, who was a huge success after being converted from a full-back to a midfielder.

It is understood Brighton have now agreed terms with both Dagenham and the player, who is due on the South Coast for a medical.

Seagulls boss Gus Poyet admitted earlier this week he was seeking to sign another five players before the start of the new season.

Are they trying to muscle in on another of our signings??! :angry:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Will Poyet be funding this SWOOP from his transfer WAR CHEST?

Absolutely. We can also be sure that MINTED chairman Tony Bloom is BANK-ROLLING the Seagulls' Championship campaign as the south coast NEW BOYS look to SOAR higher up the football pyramid before LANDING in Premiership DREAMLAND.

That should do it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Only if Vincelot has issued a "come and get me" plea.

I expect he is EYEING a BUMPER new contract as we speak.

PS Do people in all professions issue Come And Get Me pleas, or is it just football?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely. We can also be sure that MINTED chairman Tony Bloom is BANK-ROLLING the Seagulls' Championship campaign as the south coast NEW BOYS look to SOAR higher up the football pyramid before LANDING in Premiership DREAMLAND.

That should do it.

MONEYBAGS Brighton, please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here