Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roll call for WHITEHAWK AWAY tonight

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Chapman has foot in both camps
By Mike Donovan
CHEEKY Chappers was a far more circumspect character at Whitehawk last night.

The joke from Albion boss Dean Wilkins was that his coach would be spending 45 minutes in each dug-out for their Sussex Senior Cup tie.

Ian Chapman is also manager of the Hawks and it was clear that he was being careful about showing any allegiance.

Advertisement continued...
When his midfielder Graham Martin drove just over the bar shortly after the re-start, Chapman smiled sheepishly: "I don't know whether to celebrate or not because they (Albion) would batter me tomorrow."

But he struggled to be subdued when his battling Hawks took the lead midway through the first half of extra time through Aaron Gunn before Joe Gatting hit an equaliser which means a replay at East Brighton Park next week.

Of course, in the eyes of the Hawks' fans, he could not be seen to be siding in any way with the opposition.

He mumbled quietly: "Well done, Alex", after Albion's winger Frutos made a superb run and cross.

And when striker Gary Hart, who was returning after a groin injury, came off after close to an hour Chapman quietly got Hart's attention before whispering: "Well done."

But Chapman was very much in the Hawks' camp.

He barked out a constant stream of advice to his high-flying County Leaguers as they gave Albion a run for their money in between amusing asides to his substitutes and nearby spectators.

In the other dug-out Martin Hinshelwood largely kept his own counsel while occasionally listening to whispered instructions from Wilkins.

But there were quite a few wind-ups from the visiting camp for Chapman with physio Malcolm Stuart joking: "Chappers is quiet tonight. He is letting his assistant Russel Bromage be his mouthpiece."

Albion had most of the first half. Some darting runs from Frutos and Hart threatened to cut open Hawks.

They tried to turn the screw after the interval but were guilty of squandering chances. Chamberlain headed over and Joe Gatting also squandered a chance.

Hawks almost scored when Kevin Townsend hit the post with a curling free kick from the edge of the area.

But they broke the deadlock in extra time when Gunn scored from a rebound after Albion struggled to clear a free kick.

Gatting levelled when he seized on a rebound after substitute Maheta Molango had had his effort blocked.

Chapman seemed to be happy it was all over at the end. He said: "It was the weirdest situation I've ever been in, having a foot in both camps. It was horrible. I wanted both sets of players to do well but I was proud of my Whitehawk lads."

Now he will have to do it all over again next week.

7:30am today

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
AFC Lizard and NSP's own Vinyl Richie BOSSED the Whitehawk defence last night. Gatting and Hart/Molango hardly had a SNIFF.

Frutos got a couple of decent balls in and Cobbs looked okay. Chamberlain had a decent second half. Disappointing shows from Carpenter, the strikers and Loft who ran a lot but went nowhere.

Albion should think themselves lucky to have got out with a draw if you ask me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here