Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roll call for Sheffield Wednesday

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Presuming you're arriving with a bit of time on your hands, the walk into town from Sheffield Station is only about 5 minutes, it's a few hundred yards tops. Loads of pubs around there, or whatever you're after, dozens of bars and the like along West Street (still only 10 minutes from station). Town is A LOT less busy than meadowhall, where I and most others with any sense avoid like the plague on a Saturday. Meadowhall is also completely out of your way if you're coming from the south.

From the city center a taxi will be just under a tenner. Bus is pretty easy (£1.20), as is the tram (£2.20) single.

Tram from the city center won't take you long at all, is a fair bit more than the bus

[MENTION=6505]Foolg[/MENTION]. I have booked the 17:27 train from Sheffield back and it looks like I have left myself with little time to get that train! Going by tram the 16:56 from Leppings Lane gets me to the station at 17:24! Looking at the map the tram goes a long way around the city on the last leg to the station, would I be better off on the bus? [MENTION=3779]seagullsovergrimsby[/MENTION] mentioned the 53,70 or 80 bus but none of these are on this website http://www.stagecoachsupertram.com/uploads/SheffieldBusMapGuide240609%5B1%5D.pdf. I wouldn't normally worry too much but with 4 kids in tow, it could be a bit hair raising, if I had any!

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
[MENTION=6505]Foolg[/MENTION]. I have booked the 17:27 train from Sheffield back and it looks like I have left myself with little time to get that train! Going by tram the 16:56 from Leppings Lane gets me to the station at 17:24! Looking at the map the tram goes a long way around the city on the last leg to the station, would I be better off on the bus? [MENTION=3779]seagullsovergrimsby[/MENTION] mentioned the 53,70 or 80 bus but none of these are on this website http://www.stagecoachsupertram.com/uploads/SheffieldBusMapGuide240609%5B1%5D.pdf. I wouldn't normally worry too much but with 4 kids in tow, it could be a bit hair raising, if I had any!

We've got more than one bus operators in Sheffield. You'll find the timetables for all of them here: Journey planning

The 53 (not sure about the other buses) comes back in to town along Penistone (don't giggle) Road which is at the opposite end of the ground to the away end. If you leave it to the final whistle you'll struggle, and the route is a nightmare with traffic. From the Brighton end I think the tram is still your best bet, although if you don't get out of the ground quickly and get on the first tram, they get full. You used to be able to get away without paying for the journey back into town, but this season they've clamped down and a combination of the conductors and Police make sure you've got a ticket or your money ready.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've got to work on Saturday :(

At the Crawley v Swindon game :( :(

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

There are two main bus operators in Sheffield , First and Stagecoach. If you're catching the supertram back from Hillsborough (Leppings Lane) to the city centre you need to change trams at Cathedral for the train station. On the Stagecoach website they say a supertram can carry 250 passengers , after the game they will try and cram at least double that amount on , so be warned about the body odour from Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: fans who couldn't be bothered to have a wash in the morning.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
There are two main bus operators in Sheffield , First and Stagecoach. If you're catching the supertram back from Hillsborough (Leppings Lane) to the city centre you need to change trams at Cathedral for the train station. On the Stagecoach website they say a supertram can carry 250 passengers , after the game they will try and cram at least double that amount on , so be warned about the body odour from Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: fans who couldn't be bothered to have a wash in the morning.

Lol, thanks [MENTION=3779]seagullsovergrimsby[/MENTION]. Looks like I am gonig to leave early!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

As Dessie above states, tram is a better bet than the bus, but you'll have to leave a little bit early IMO.

If I were you, i'd take a hit on a taxi and guarantee you make the train. Cost you not much more than a tenner at a guess (if that), pre book it. Easier to do that than risk paying £200 ish in replacement train tickets. To be fair, tram from Hillsborough to Town is about £2.40, so if there's 4 of you it won't be any cheaper.

Mercury taxi's is 0114 266 2662.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As Dessie above states, tram is a better bet than the bus, but you'll have to leave a little bit early IMO.

If I were you, i'd take a hit on a taxi and guarantee you make the train. Cost you not much more than a tenner at a guess (if that), pre book it. Easier to do that than risk paying £200 ish in replacement train tickets. To be fair, tram from Hillsborough to Town is about £2.40, so if there's 4 of you it won't be any cheaper.

Is the DaySaver (return) ticket £3.90 on the Supertram ?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

Cheers [MENTION=6505]Foolg[/MENTION]. I was contemplating this, as I will be paying for all 5 of us on the bus/tram. Do the taxi's use the tram/bus lanes, so they beat the traffic?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I read there is a football special ticket (or something like that) that's £3 return

It is only available between University of Sheffield tram stop and Leppings Lane tram stop , no good if your getting on at Sheffield or Meadowhall train station tram stops.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oh dear, I am taking advice from someone that likes Maccy D's! :(:sick:

No , we originally were going an hour later on the train from Crap Town which would have meant having no time to grab something to eat before the game. Will also be able to play "Spot The Chav" at Meadowhall , first one to a hundred within 15 minutes wins.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Cheers [MENTION=6505]Foolg[/MENTION]. I was contemplating this, as I will be paying for all 5 of us on the bus/tram. Do the taxi's use the tram/bus lanes, so they beat the traffic?

Penistone Road (from ground to station) is two lanes the entire way to the town center more a less. If you're in a taxi before FT then you'll be fine with traffic to get the 5.27 i'd say, but you won't have time to muck about.

5 returns on the tram will cost you £20, two taxi's won't cost a great deal more. It costs us about £6/7 for a 2 1/2 mile trip home after a night out, and Hillsborough is 4 miles to the station. Once you're in the city center, yes, taxi's can use bus lanes, and some areas are buses/taxi only.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here