Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rogue Traders

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Used to sell double glazing a few years back and found I did better by NOT following the 'sales speech' and just being honest with the offer and giving a price. OK I had to lose most of my commission (not all as you always got something for any sale) but I did sell a lot and always said if they ewanted me to go I would. Actual;ly had a few ask me back for further work they wanted quotes on

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The first bloke was a tosser but they guy at the end I felt sorry for. He is after all a salesman , selling his products, nothing wrong with that. They invited him to the house, he did not come unannounced and asked about the bed. He spent 3 hours of his time with the woman explaining the product , his own time, we did not see this conversation, maybe the woman asked loads of stupid questions.

" Roger " came storming in and acted like a complete arsehole and was extremely rude. The salesman kep his cool , packed up his stuff and left politely and with good manners with considerable restraint after being jerked around for 3 hours.

I thought they looked rather stupid and pathetic.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Rambo said:
Try chatting to an estate agent for a while, I guarantee you will want to punch them by the end of the conversation.

Why Ive just sold and bought thru two different agents and they were fine, I'd knock the solicitors out though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Spielberg said:
The first bloke was a tosser but they guy at the end I felt sorry for. He is after all a salesman , selling his products, nothing wrong with that. They invited him to the house, he did not come unannounced and asked about the bed. He spent 3 hours of his time with the woman explaining the product , his own time, we did not see this conversation, maybe the woman asked loads of stupid questions.

" Roger " came storming in and acted like a complete arsehole and was extremely rude. The salesman kep his cool , packed up his stuff and left politely and with good manners with considerable restraint after being jerked around for 3 hours.

I thought they looked rather stupid and pathetic.
Would you want a salesman talking to your nan for over 3 hours, still being there past 10pm at night ? The only reason he's spending 3 hours of his time there is to try to screw a few grand out of a tired old biddy. He only departed sharpish as he recognised "Roger" was not someone he could pressurize and badger quite so easily. His bullshit conversation with his "boss" at head office (to supposedly "get the price down" just showed he was full of shit. The guy on the other end of the line just said "just tell him (Roger) to mind his own business...ahh I dunno, just do whatever mate".

The bloke was an arsehole.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I disagree Easy, you did not know anything about the 3 hour meeting, what was said or how protracted the woman made it.

The guy has a product which is wanted and needed especially by older people, that is why he was at an old persons house, he would not be selling the bed to a Rugby player in his 20's.

He has to make a living and to be fecked around for 3 hours which lets say is £ 150 worth of time with timewasters and then have some bloke come in ranting and raving at the end I thought the bloke showed incredible restraint.

Maybe if you were a salesman you might think a little differently.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm bored of these lame rogue trader programmes. They were interesting a few years ago but surely we've seen it all now.

And as for the guy fronting the show, what a muppet he is. His attempts at interviewing the rogue traders are always LAME and very very tedious.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I make quite a few bob though pushing the hard sell to all these old dears :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The shoddy builders and dodgy car salesmen fair play, they stitch the public up, the guy yesterday trying to sell a bed to an old person in need of the bed after they invited him to the house I can't see that he did anything wrong at all.

It was all very lame and Roger just lost the plot and started ranting like a complete idiot.

The salesman at the end saying to Roger " good luck with the plot " was spot on.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Uncle Spielberg said:
The shoddy builders and dodgy car salesmen fair play, they stitch the public up, the guy yesterday trying to sell a bed to an old person in need of the bed after they invited him to the house I can't see that he did anything wrong at all.

It was all very lame and Roger just lost the plot and started ranting like a complete idiot.

The salesman at the end saying to Roger " good luck with the plot " was spot on.

End of thread

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lammy said:
A good one for cold callers is to say "hang on, I just need to find a pen and paper" or words to that effect. Then simply put your feet up open another can and carry in watching TV as their bill runs up. If everyone did this they would be broke in no time.

I've done something similar to a sales caller.

When they asked to speak to the homeowner, I said "no problem, hold on, I'll just go and get her".

I then put the phone on the sofa and went out.

When I got back in 15 minutes later she was still hanging on, I could hear the office noise in the background, interrupted every minute or so by her going "hello? hello?"

She got the hint after about 20 minutes :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here