Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robin Cook

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
perseus said:
The most intelligent MP in the House of Commons is gone. RIP. The world will be a lesser place without him.

Agreed. One of the few politicans who really didn't give a toss about looking good on the camera, and the best debater I have ever seen.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
great man, great belives, great beard

rip robin

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Damn! What really shitty news.

The moral conscience of the Blair government, a shrewd racing tipster, and he backed Falmer. Intellect the size of Uranus and a thoroughly decent man who never forgot where he came from. Only 59. So very very sad.

Here's a link to his resignation speech over the Iraq war. Eloquent, honest, full of insight. Conviction politics at its finest.

Robin Cook's Resignation Speech

R.I.P Robin Cook

Absolutely gutted. I think he was getting ready to play a big role in a Brown government that might, just possibly might, have produced an independent foreign policy for Britain, breaking away from slavish devotion to Bush and the neocons.

We really couldn't afford to lose him :(

E

enigma

Rest in peace, a man to be admired for his beliefs and his desire to stick to thm.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm still shocked this happened.

One of the last trustworthy politicians in the UK, private life aside, in my eyes. As LI says, could have been a major part in a non-Blair Labour government.

Being willing to sacrifice your position for what you believe in is important in politics, but so rare these days - Noel Browne being the last politician I can think of to drop so far, from ministerial to back benches.

Extremely major, and extremely sad loss.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Terrible news, he wasn't even that old. RIP.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I didn't have Internet access last night so I found out about Robin Cook and the test score at the same time.

Terribly sad news that's quite spoiled my morning; a man of principle has gone. As LI says, someone I'd hoped we'd see back in office in a Gordon Brown government.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I feel rather sorry for John Smith's daughter Sarah Smith, who broke the news live on Channel 4 last night. Having to read out on the telly that one of your dad's mates has just died in more or less the same manner as your dad can't be easy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Saddened more than what he may have achieved under Brown on the future, rather that what he achieved under Blair.

It would have been an interesting relationship. They've only just started having any type of friendship. They hated each other for years - going back to University days, when Cook I believe may have been given credit for some of Browns work ?

Anyway - great loss

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here