Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I'm thinking if the decision has been made, with everyone involved including press, agents, bookies, families friends etc there is no way it will remain a secret till then.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm thinking if the decision has been made, with everyone involved including press, agents, bookies, families friends etc there is no way it will remain a secret till then.
Bookies would have suspended betting if they got a whiff of anything...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Roberto De Zerbi

Can’t help but think if he is now our preferred candidate why haven’t we already got this over the line.

Still think there is a fair way to go in this and at some point Knutsen or Svensson will come back into the mix

Perhaps.

We didn’t have a fully formed plan for recruitment unlike Chelsea who probably rung PB with a credit card in hand demanding he accept full payment of the Potter release clause. Once that was triggered, Chelsea seem to have said yes to everything Potter wanted. It’s very easy to do things quickly when you can wave a £60m cheque about!

So we probably started the recruitment process with with a handful of targets but I suspect there wasn’t a clear No.1. We were then gifted time to make the right decision and to do due diligence. We are taking advantage of that opportunity right now.

There are probably lots of areas for negotiating in any future contract with De Zerbi. He might want to bring his 8 man team (from Shakhtar & Sassuolo) with him. I can see us agreeing to 3/4 but it would be incredibly difficult for us to integrate all 9 Italians into the club in one wave of a magic wand. It’d be like having a group of consultants working in your organisation with their own culture, language, ideas and values. The club will be keen to pepper the management/coaching team with people who understand the club culture, Albion people. Whether this is Lallana, Crofts or someone like Rosenoir, we won’t allow the whole back room team to be controlled by De Zerbi. They’d all leave with him when the time came and we’d be back to square one! This is just one example of the negotiations that are probably taking place.

Give it several more days, even a week but we’ll have some manager in place for Liverpool (maybe not RDZ), I’m fairly confident.*

*Edit. Abel Ferreira is 16/1 and wasn’t really in the reckoning before. Perhaps we are waiting until after the 13th November for him (the last game of the Brazilian serie A season where he’ll surely with the title)??

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Perhaps.

We didn’t have a fully formed plan for recruitment unlike Chelsea who probably rung PB with a credit card in hand demanding he accept full payment of the Potter release clause. Once that was triggered, Chelsea seem to have said yes to everything Potter wanted. It’s very easy to do things quickly when you can wave a £60m cheque about!

So we probably started the recruitment process with with a handful of targets but I suspect there wasn’t a clear No.1. We were then gifted time to make the right decision and to do due diligence. We are taking advantage of that opportunity right now.

There are probably lots of areas for negotiating in any future contract with De Zerbi. He might want to bring his 8 man team (from Shakhtar & Sassuolo) with him. I can see us agreeing to 3/4 but it would be incredibly difficult for us to integrate all 9 Italians into the club in one wave of a magic wand. It’d be like having a group of consultants working in your organisation with their own culture, language, ideas and values. The club will be keen to pepper the management/coaching team with people who understand the club culture, Albion people. Whether this is Lallana, Crofts or someone like Rosenoir, we won’t allow the whole back room team to be controlled by De Zerbi. They’d all leave with him when the time came and we’d be back to square one! This is just one example of the negotiations that are probably taking place.

Give it several more days, even a week but we’ll have some manager in place for Liverpool (maybe not RDZ), I’m fairly confident.*

*Edit. Abel Ferreira is 16/1 and wasn’t really in the reckoning before. Perhaps we are waiting until after the 13th November for him (the last game of the Brazilian serie A season where he’ll surely with the title)??

Also, if he's bringing a team with him, it's not just one contract to negotiate. And there's quite a lot involved in moving to a new country. With Potter and his team they already knew how things work in English football, how the contracts work, etc, etc. Plus they don't even have to move house!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Totally this. No way would any announcement be made before the funeral. Personally I think the deal has been done and signed. Who with thought?

Dyche. After watching that interview I am convinced he could work his magic in a different way to before, with access to overseas recruitment (denied at Bumley), and an aim to play entertaining football (not possible with the arrangements at Bumley). He's young. He's English. He's fluent in several languages. What's not to like?

(I am not being entirely facetious here, although one of my comments above is.....a lie!).

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Dyche. After watching that interview I am convinced he could work his magic in a different way to before, with access to overseas recruitment (denied at Bumley), and an aim to play entertaining football (not possible with the arrangements at Bumley). He's young. He's English. He's fluent in several languages. What's not to like?

(I am not being entirely facetious here, although one of my comments above is.....a lie!).

Imaginative H! Imagine the reaction on here! We should deffo rule nothing out. In Tony we trust

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I'm sold. He's not old in managerial terms, though there's only be 5 more aged bosses in the league. Looking forward to him delivering press conferences in Lancastrian, Northamptonian and Gravellian.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You may laugh, but I'm sure Dyche has more in his coaching locker than was shown at Burnley. His promotion teams were far easier on the eye than the side that scratched out points in the Premier League - oh yes, and qualified for Europe on one occasion. I wouldn't be devastated if he got the nod.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You may laugh, but I'm sure Dyche has more in his coaching locker than was shown at Burnley. His promotion teams were far easier on the eye than the side that scratched out points in the Premier League - oh yes, and qualified for Europe on one occasion. I wouldn't be devastated if he got the nod.

He probably needs to prove that first. Most likely he isn't getting a PL job except for one where he would try to help a relegation candidate (Nottingham?) stay up and in that situation all beauty goes out the window and they're likely to look like Burnley again.

If he wants to show he has a different set of skills, I'm sure he could get the job at pretty much any Championship club but considering he's still out of work I'm guessing he doesnt want to drop down to that level.

Don't think Tony will take a punt on Dyche maybe being able to get his team to play in a way that suits Brighton.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Whilst watching a game he regularly picks his nose and wipes it on his head. Then shakes hands with all and sundry.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe a work visa is possibly holding the announcement up (thanks Brexit) or maybe Dd Zerbi is first choice and has been offered the position but is checking with his family. And as others have said, they maybe waiting until Tuesday, after all, he's not going to get any work done in the next two days!!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

I'd genuinely like to see Dyche do well in a different set up to Burnley and I wouldn't moan if it was with us. Personally, I think we'll need something different than trying to copy the Potter format and I'd like to see more British or Irish managers doing well. A foreign manager new to the Premier league is a bigger risk imho. #teamdalek.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd genuinely like to see Dyche do well in a different set up to Burnley and I wouldn't moan if it was with us. Personally, I think we'll need something different than trying to copy the Potter format and I'd like to see more British or Irish managers doing well. A foreign manager new to the Premier league is a bigger risk imho. #teamdalek.

Dyche must be sitting and waiting for the Forest and/or Leicester jobs to become available right now.

He never moved his family up from Northampton, and split his time between Burnley and there, so a Midlands job would work very well for him.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Leicester message boards saying they should be looking at DeZerbi and if not Knutsen.

They've got to sack Rodgers first! Blimey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here