Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tactics play a part, but its not close to important as quality & attributes among the players. Bringing on Enciso didn't help the team, but lacking players who thrive in crowded penalty area has proven to be costly many times and could potentially have sorted a point today. There was no chance of getting to good opportunities through the center, and for anyone on the wings there was really nothing to cross the ball to either.
I don’t disagree, re quality, and since Murray retired it’s no secret we have been lacking in that respect. However, you set the tactics and put players into positions, you don’t have your 11 best players based on ability, as we’d have 7 defenders and four midfield players.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Personally I think RdZ got the Lallana sub wrong, to me Dunk was having a stinker and needed Veltman, Pascal could have then moved forward, and got closer to Welbeck (which tactically was not happening).

Potter used to successfully switch several times a game, so even though the players apply them, in reality actually how you set up and what you do is fairly significant IMO.
Dunk was having a stinker after 2 mins ? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Hindsight and hindsight... thought it was a strange sub the moment it was made and pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Agree it was a bizarre sub. Enciso has looked raw and a bit indisciplined, thought Gilmour was the clear favourite to be subbed on with Ali Mac or Gross shifted further forward. RDZ kind of acknowledged his mistake a bit later.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
….as I’m not the only one who didn’t think it was :shrug:
Yeah, but we're not being paid to manage Premier League football teams are we?
Sometimes managers get it wrong. Sometimes they get it right or make bugger all difference. Over the length of a season their tactics tend to be fairly marginal as far as the points total is concerned.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree it was a bizarre sub. Enciso has looked raw and a bit indisciplined, thought Gilmour was the clear favourite to be subbed on with Ali Mac or Gross shifted further forward. RDZ kind of acknowledged his mistake a bit later.
Enciso against Chelsea was a very, very clever substitution.

They were looking incredibly leggy and throwing on a maniac who'd run at everything and kick them in the heels was just the final nail in the coffin. Couldn't cope with the energy.

Being 1-0 up with 85 minutes to go, it is not really as good of a plan. Someone with a more controlled style of play would have been a better solution... save the chaos for later, if needed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
….as I’m not the only one who didn’t think it was :shrug:
No. Gilmour is (to me at least) more in the Ali Mac/Caicedo mould…….Lallana was in the no 10 slot, which is more suited to Enciso so it made sense to me at the time (I might be doing BG a disservice but haven’t seen enough of him), particularly after how he played in the week. If Sarmiento had been fit suspect he’d have been brought on

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No. Gilmour is (to me at least) more in the Ali Mac/Caicedo mould…….Lallana was in the no 10 slot, which is more suited to Enciso so it made sense to me at the time (I might be doing BG a disservice but haven’t seen enough of him), particularly after how he played in the week. If Sarmiento had been fit suspect he’d have been brought on
A few months ago it would surely have been Mwepu. Miss the bloke.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It all went pear shaped when Lallana went off. De Zerbi f***ed up bringing Enciso on rather than Gilmour, he lost every single ball he went for before he was subbed.

Bad day at the office worsened by the weakest ref I have seen this season. He let Villa get away with shitehousing and time wasting all game.

Called the end result 30 mins into the game :down:.

Villa bossed us

To round it off the exit from the Uni carpark was an absolute shambles

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Erm…but then I think I and others are saying he didn’t get it wrong :shrug:
Replacing Lallana with Enciso was very wrong, he was as bad as any sub since we reached the PL. He was useless and gave the ball away in 100% of his touches from what I saw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here