Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
14th place, is 'bottom 7'.

At half time of the final game of last season (after Graham Potter had had three years to refine everything), we were sat in 13th place.

We were but I don't think Bloom will be happy if we drop 5 places on where we finished last season :shrug:
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] put it better than me

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A 50% return is actually 1.5 points per game which is really high given that would equate to a 57 point season. If there are doom merchants setting a minimum target that high - then they really do put the fan in fantasist. Given the difficulty of the fixtures, I'd say a 1 ppg return from our next 6 would see us on 19 points from 12 games (1.58 ppg) would be a huge success for the season so far. Even 4 points I don't think should raise too many complaints given the changes to be honest.

You lost me on the second line 😂, in layman’s terms I think we will get 8/12points, beat Brentford and Forest and will avoid defeat at both Spurs and Chelsea at home.

I think by the time the final whistle goes against Villa and we break for the W/C, we will still be top ten and in serious European contention, and given the loss of GP that will be a great achievement.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
14th place, is 'bottom 7'.

At half time of the final game of last season (after Graham Potter had had three years to refine everything), we were sat in 13th place.

History is being re-written somewhat at this very moment. That is not a criticism of GP whatsoever though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One bottom 7 finish would be a massive disappointment and alarm bells would be ringing. De Zerbi will need to have us playing well by January at the latest, he has the players so no excuses imo

Have you worked this back from 14th is generally around the 44 - 45 pts mark, 1 ppg from our remaining 32 games would have us on 45 points - so I get where you are coming from. That said, I reckon we should be playing well from the get go, not results led, but no reason performances shouldn't be up there. He will surely be allowed some time to turn good performances into results, but really worrying if he takes until January to get us playing well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You lost me on the second line 😂, in layman’s terms I think we will get 8/12points, beat Brentford and Forest and will avoid defeat at both Spurs and Chelsea at home.

I think by the time the final whistle goes against Villa and we break for the W/C, we will still be top ten and in serious European contention, and given the loss of GP that will be a great achievement.

You asked the question "what will the doom merchants make of it all if we haven’t got at least a 50 per cent return?" – I was answering that really, that if they aren't delighted with a 50% return then they are complete fantasists because that would be a great performance imho. I then went on to suggest anything above 4 points would be okay for a new start, and 6 would be decent enough.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree with this.

The reality, as I see it, is that there would have been a dip even with Potter still in charge - it's a stretch to think we'd still be in 4th in the short, medium or long term IMO.

Throw in the fact that there will naturally be a period of settling in and finding his feet - making some mistakes along the way (as Potter did) and I don't think it unreasonable to expect and accept that there will be a dip, potentially a significant one. I personally won't see that as a reason to think he's not the right man for the job - that would be properly judged when he's had time (next season onwards unless he's had a MASSIVE STINKER)

Short-term, we'll plummet down the table, because:
-- we've got five of 'the Big Six' in the next run of fixtures
-- we've played a game less than most other teams, and will do until after the WC
Despite that, I think this might be a decent enough start for RDZ, because:
-- we would have struggled to pick up many points under GP anyway
-- the fixture list can always be used as a justification if/when it doesn't turn out that well
-- if RDZ implements his ideas early, Liverpool and City might not be the worst opponents, as they'll accept RDZ's dangled carrot of pressing us high up the pitch: if he invites that press, it'll produce mixed results and elevate the stress levels of many

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Short-term, we'll plummet down the table, because:
-- we've got five of 'the Big Six' in the next run of fixtures
-- we've played a game less than most other teams, and will do until after the WC
Despite that, I think this might be a decent enough start for RDZ, because:
-- we would have struggled to pick up many points under GP anyway
-- the fixture list can always be used as a justification if/when it doesn't turn out that well
-- if RDZ implements his ideas early, Liverpool and City might not be the worst opponents, as they'll accept RDZ's dangled carrot of pressing us high up the pitch: if he invites that press, it'll produce mixed results and elevate the stress levels of many

All good points.

I feel very comfortable with this appointment and the fact we have ‘free hits’.

I would think everything will be very gradual.

24 hours on, I remain very excited….

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We were but I don't think Bloom will be happy if we drop 5 places on where we finished last season :shrug:

[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] put it better than me

Don’t think he’ll mind.

I mean GP got a new contract when he’d achieved next to nothing. (Just shows what a good judge TB is.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

There might be something to this. At least they won't know exactly what to expect.

Of course, it cuts both ways, unfortunately.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Don't let Bournemouth fans see that you've just described them as one of the biggest clubs in Europe.....

Speaking of Bournemouth, I'd kinda forgotten they are still without a manager. A quick search and it seems like the current favorite is appointing caretaker O'Neil as permanent boss.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He’s a snappy dresser

Attachments

• 82F54C98-B228-4E34-AEBC-6C420E00FE74.jpeg
    82F54C98-B228-4E34-AEBC-6C420E00FE74.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 346

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Anyone know whether it's likely he'll be able to start working with the lads next week due to the work permit delays. Officially he still can't work at the training ground at the moment, but how long is it likely to take for him to finally get on the training pitch? I'd hope before the Liverpool game but suggestions coming out it may take another 2 weeks. Hope not.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Barber pretty much says so in the press conference. Need to go through the work permit process first. His assistant’s has already been submitted

He said "small team" though which could possibly mean that some of the Shakhtar boys might not be coming. I imagine not all three fitness coaches might come, for example.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Anyone know whether it's likely he'll be able to start working with the lads next week due to the work permit delays. Officially he still can't work at the training ground at the moment, but how long is it likely to take for him to finally get on the training pitch? I'd hope before the Liverpool game but suggestions coming out it may take another 2 weeks. Hope not.

Costa got it in days despite a rejection. Why would Rob’s take weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here