Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can't see why they wouldn't be able to train with the players. Pretty grey area, can't imagine the police would come knocking !

Sitting on the bench at Liverpool is probably another matter.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hopefully you're right, it's just whenever I have had to deal with work permits (particularly with large corporates) we would never risk anything other than abiding completely by the rules, and this is somewhat 'high profile'. Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

No, I don’t think so. His employment contract will be subject to the permit being applied for and granted but there is nothing stopping us from paying him whilst awaiting approval.

And paying someone for working whilst waiting for a work permit certainly wouldn't have been 'abiding by the rules'. It's been a long time though, maybe things have changed :wink:

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That's the spirit! Pure positive vibes moving forwards.

A work permit for RDZ isn't what's under discussion here - it appears that because of the sporting excellence - or whatever it's called - status it is a gimme. It's his small army of assistants that might take a bit of time. Don't know why they can't hang out at Lancing, unpaid, just for the fun of it for a few days though.

Anybody can apply for a priority service work permit though. It’s a standard service that can be paid for. As long as they meet the criteria, which I’m sure they would.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Mercy - Duffy

We've got Roberto de Zerbi (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
You know he's from Italy? (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
We've got Roberto de Zerbi (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
And he's got a goatee (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
For Brighton by the seeeeaaa (Yeah, yeah, yeah)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hopefully you're right, it's just whenever I have had to deal with work permits (particularly with large corporates) we would never risk anything other than abiding completely by the rules, and this is somewhat 'high profile'. Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

And paying someone for working whilst waiting for a work permit certainly wouldn't have been 'abiding by the rules'. It's been a long time though, maybe things have changed :wink:

I don’t think you would get too many banking expats working for nothing whilst awaiting work permits…..

Chris36d

Banned
Sep 9, 2022
I feel the club has missed an opportunity to approach the very best manager they could've wanted. We are 4th in PL have played outstanding football and are admired by many in the game. I hope to be proven wrong but i'm very underwhelmed by the appointment

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I feel the club has missed an opportunity to approach the very best manager they could've wanted. We are 4th in PL have played outstanding football and are admired by many in the game. I hope to be proven wrong but i'm very underwhelmed by the appointment

Not talking to anyone else doesn't mean no other clubs or agents were approached

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
YMCA.

Hey fans, there's no need to feel down
I said, hey fans, pick yourself off the ground
I said,hey fans. There's a new guy in town
There's no need to be unhappy

Hey fans, a new manager to show
I said, hey fans, from Shakhtar and Sassulo
Hey fans and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time

It's fun to watch our team with Rob De Zerbi
It's fun to play under Rob De Zerbi

Forget your Contes. Forget Ancelotti
Our guy's the best from Italy

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If you expected to have a manager appointed that anyone had heard of more than a week and a half ago, I'd suggest that maybe you're as proportionally as new to the Albion as you are to NSC ???

Chris36d

Banned
Sep 9, 2022
Not talking to anyone else doesn't mean no other clubs or agents were approached
Perhaps so but given the club has never been in a better position to attract a top manager why have we settled for not even second best? That's what I do not understand.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don’t think you would get too many banking expats working for nothing whilst awaiting work permits…..

Well at Lloyds and HSBC in the UK we never employed anyone before they were legally entitled to work (whether paid or unpaid) but they were the only banking organisations I worked for and, as I say, it was a long time ago and maybe things have changed :shrug:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

And who is ''the very best manager they could've wanted''?

Of the names mentioned, there's quite a few I wouldnt want right now (Nathan Jones, Russell Martin, Bielsa, Rodgers). There was some that would have been tough to get out of their current club (Thomas Frank, Steve Cooper). We could have negotiated for weeks with them and their clubs and got none of them. There were names like Pochettino mentioned which is just unrealistic. Once he's on PSG wages he's unlikely to drop down to what we can afford. So then it comes down to some of the lesser known, but up and coming managers from across Europe (Knutsen, Svensson, Haise, and De Zerbi), and Tony has picked who he thinks best fits the clubs from those.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Perhaps so but given the club has never been in a better position to attract a top manager why have we settled for not even second best? That's what I do not understand.

How can you be so down on a guy before he has even had a game in charge yet? I don't know if he will be great here either, but has a good background and fits in with how we like to do things. Who's to say he wasn't their preferred choice all along?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

I think you're a mischief maker.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

My real name is Tony.
Please tell me who I should have appointed :annoyed:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Euros winner, and Juventus midfielder (on loan from Sassuolo) Manuel Locatelli said of him... “He is one of the best coaches around, and with him you learn a lot. My confidence has grown and now I am more sure of my possibilities.”

Within the Premier League RDZ is a complete unknown so in part its a risk, but elsewhere he has good experience, his teams are known to play attractive football, a lot of positive things are said of him from ex players/colleagues/journalists, and most importantly Tony has met him and said yep he'll fit in here. So for those reasons im in!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here