Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
How do you know his agent is behind the tweet, anyone can make up a tweet?

I don’t, but it’s been suggested elsewhere that his agent is very pushy and well connected to the Twitter ‘in the know’ Illuminati.

Like I say, I don’t know ... but as Han Solo would say - I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Most of the Italian managers seem to be highly strung, gobby and impulsive ranters. I am still struggling to see how this one will pass due diligence.

Will fit right in with some of the posters on this forum.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I do wonder if all this briefing to the press about him being close to joining us is just an attempt to get Juventus to move for him.

Conte will bin off Spurs and go back if Allegri is canned.

I think the De Zerbi to Juve stuff is more likely his agent trying to push to close the deal to us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He's mates with agents and gets all his news from them. Once you realise that his tweets are basically repeats from agents, things become a bit clearer. I'm not 100% convinced this is our guy yet.

What’s Romano really said about this deal that’s any different to what Brian Owen, Sky or other outlets have reported . He’s on our shortlist, talks of some nature have started and it’s not done yet. The reporting is pretty consistent everywhere … hence the betting. And club haven’t denied it. But yes - agreed it’s early days.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Look at the Palermo managerial history and tell me it is possible to have success there. 13 games is quite impressive actually.

Benevento.. you have to know things about Benevento to know about his results there. They had gone from Serie C to Serie A in two seasons, had a very small budget, started their Serie A season losing 9 out of 9 games (while scoring 2 goals and conceding 22) before De Zerbi took over. At first they kept losing - they lost 14 out of their 14 last games which is, I think, the all time record in any big 5 league - but after he had been in charge for a while there was a pretty good upturn. After only getting 1 point in their first 18 games - 9 of them with De Zerbi in charge of what was essentially a Serie B team with no confidence - they managed to perform like a mid-table team in the spring and ended up with 21 points, which is horrible but given the circumstances not so shite. This is why Sassuolo decided to hire him immediately after the season.

Yeah, Shakhtars results in CL last season were not great but their league season was a lot better than the year before him... Lets worry about how Brighton will perform in the CL some other day.

Top knowledge.

People often forget too that Shakthar haven't played in Donetsk since 2014. They're footballing gypsies like Brighton were at Gillingham cut off from home city and local fan base.

The Ukrainian league is also pretty poor.

Shakthar are similar in many ways to Celtic, one of the 2 big clubs in a mediocre league. They pay ok (as owned by Ukraines richest man, Oligarch Rinat Ahkmetov) and can attract decent prospects and managers as they pay pretty well, will nearly always finish top 2 in domestic league, but not fair that great in Europe against clubs from more elite leagues.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This is quite informative about the Sassuolo formations.

https://youtu.be/vFFBqRsTZ-A

His teams really don't seem to like to play long passes, but our recent upturn in results has coincided with our increased acceptance to go long.

I fear the high intense press which is used across the premier league might nullify this guy's preferred style.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
His goal against numbers suggest he is not that great at beating it, and I wouldnt fancy our current defence playing his way.

I wouldn’t fancy him at all if he is not able to adapt his style to what’s been drummed into our players for the last 3 years. I don’t think Tony will give him the job if he does not believe he’ll maintain our defensive integrity but it’s a concern as you say.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
His goal against numbers suggest he is not that great at beating it, and I wouldn't fancy our current defence playing his way.

Our defence won't be able to play this way bc of how strong the PL is. Nowhere near this long on the ball. Some of those defenders could have a cigarette and coffee between passes. So DZ will have to adapt anyway. We were very good at moving the ball quickly out from the back at the end of the Potter era. Even sometimes playing long. DZ might be thankful that Liverpool is his first game. Getting absolutely mauled on day one will serve a valuable lesson to the pace of the league.

If he gets appointed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Our defence won't be able to play this way bc of how strong the PL is. Nowhere near this long on the ball. Some of those defenders could have a cigarette and coffee between passes. So DZ will have to adapt anyway. We were very good at moving the ball quickly out from the back at the end of the Potter era. Even sometimes playing long. DZ might be thankful that Liverpool is his first game. Getting absolutely mauled on day one will serve a valuable lesson to the pace of the league.

If he gets appointed.

When was the last time we were “mauled” playing Liverpool ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
His goal against numbers suggest he is not that great at beating it, and I wouldnt fancy our current defence playing his way.

Wouldn't look too much at those defensive numbers. Yes he has an attacking style and says he doesn't like to sit and control the game when 1-0 up, but that Sassuolo defense... last season, when they had no De Zerbi, it was even worse. Mapei spends a lot of money on this club, but they don't like spending money on defenders.

To illustrate the contrast:

Sassuolo: Well done Roberto, well done... what do you want for next season?

De Zerbi: Keeping Berardi would be nice...

Sassuolo: No problemo, we'll give him a contract that makes him never want to leave:

De Zerbi: Good good.. maybe another attacking player or two?

Sassuolo: Oh yes. Caputo? Scored 16 goals in Serie A last season. Want him? He is in the hallway. Maybe Defrel as well, 11 goals in Serie last season? Scored a dozen for us last time. Is good? You want more? You can have more, you know.

De Zerbi: Nice, a couple of 10+ Serie A goal scorers along with the ones we already have. I'll take it. It would also be nice to have a defender or two who aren't Juventus youth rejects, youknow...

Sassuolo: Oh... how about Magnani?

De Zerbi: But he's a Juventus youth reject.

Sassuolo: He's not that young... but okay Roberto, you are tough negotiator: we will bring you one loan player from bottom club in Greece, sign one 28 year old nobody who played 16 games in four years for Dortmund and Napolis 7th choice centre back.

De Zerbi: But...

Sassuolo: And you always have Peluso.

De Zerbi: He's 38 now and..

Sassuolo: Peluso. Okey, good luck Roberto.

Again, I think it gets pretty complicated to look at these numbers given the context. Its a team that just doesn't like to spend money on defenders and the two or three times they did, they're not very good at it. As De Zerbi described them at some point, they're a "front wheel" club. Brighton is a lot more well-balanced.

Obviously it might take some time for De Zerbi to adapt and understand the differences between Serie A and Premier League. Luckily the club has a decent advantage and most likely - though GP had a thing for beating the biggies it is not what could be expected each year - some of the games in October are of the "throw-away" kind that normally shouldn't be generating many points either. Pressure is off and that might be helpful.

Overall, De Zerbi is not necessarily my favorite candidate but some of the concerns are unwarranted IMO. Yes he switched clubs often as a player, that is what happens when you are a good second/third division player who is not quite good enough for the first division. As a manager - sure, he didn't get along with the Foggia owners who got fined for money laundering and then steered the club to bankruptcy, and he got sacked by Zamparini like everyone else, and he failed (shame on him) to stop the war in Ukraine so he had to pack his bags there as well. Three years (converted from Serie A years to Premier League years, thats like 15 years) in Sassuolo is not too shabby though and about twice as long as the average tenure of a PL manager.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He's clearly desperate for the job. Doesn't mean he'd be bad, but it doesn't feel like our style. If he was first choice we'd have appointed him by now. If he gets it is probably because we can't get our preferred choice (s)

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It’s interesting there’s noise about him and nothing about the others. He needs a job and the others are in one. As others have said, those two things are likely closely linked with an agent behind it, and there may be value betting on one of the others. I’d still like Haise, and hope we aren’t ‘too nice’ to shaft Lens the way Chelsea shafted us.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Most of the Italian managers seem to be highly strung, gobby and impulsive ranters. I am still struggling to see how this one will pass due diligence.

I think the fact he didn’t leave Ukraine until all his players and coaching staff were safe is probably a better way to judge his character than some lazy stereotype.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here