Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Murat formal suspect in Madeleine case

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91210-1265708,00.html

Sky News has learnt that Briton Robert Murat is being treated as a formal suspect by police investigating the abduction of four-year-old Madeleine McCann.

Robert Murat"There is a suspect," in the case, a spokeswoman for the judicial police said, without giving any further details.

Mr Murat was questioned with two other people yesterday and released last night.

Mr Murat lives with his mother in a villa 100 metres from the apartment where Madeleine was abducted. The building was sealed off and searched yesterday morning.

The portuguese police now consider Robert Murat to be an "Arguido" which translates as a formal suspect.

That means he is considered a suspect but can remain at liberty.

Crime correspondent Martin Brunt said: "I've spoken to Mr Murat's mother, Jenny. She says he was released some time over night.

"He is now staying with friends. She has advised him not to go back to their villa at Praia da Luz..

"She spoke to him by phone briefly and he is very upset. He believes the police are trying to find an Englishman to blame."

Forensic officers and sniffer dogs began examining the Murats' villa on Monday morning.

Mrs Murat told Brunt that computer and communications equipment had been removed.

The Murats' villaBrunt said: "There is nothing to suggest this morning that police are any closer to finding Madeleine.

"But I do say that from other police sources we got the impression that there is - and I don't know where this stems from - a growing confidence that they will still find Madeleine alive."

Robert Murat is one of many people who have been interviewed over the disappearance of Madeleine.

Brunt said: "We know from our own sources that Robert Murat has been under some kind of electronic surveillance by police, probably for more than a week.

"So it looks as though police had been waiting to swoop on the villa and talk to Mr Murat."

As well as Mr Murat, a German woman and a Portuguese man were also interviewed until late on Monday night.

Mr Murat had become familiar to journalists in Praia da Luz since Madeleine was snatched from her family's holiday flat 12 days ago.

He told reporters he had a daughter the same age as the missing girl who looked very similar to her.

He lives with his mother Jenny, who is believed to own the villa being searched.

Madeleine: Missing for 12 daysShe has been running a stall on the seafront appealing for information about Madeleine's disappearance.

Mr Murat, who described himself as half-Portuguese, said he was helping the McCanns as a translator.

But journalists became suspicious and went to the Portuguese police with their concerns last week.

Sunday Mirror journalist Lori Campbell reported Mr Murat to local officers as well as to the British Embassy and Leicestershire Police.

She said: "Basically, he surfaced on Friday afternoon last week and was walking around as if he was somebody official.

"But when questioned about it, he was very vague about his position. He said he just volunteered to help the police with their investigation."

Local newspapers are reporting that two vehicles are being examined by police - one a green German VW van, the other a Hyundai car. Both had pictures of Madeleine in their windows.

Madeleine was snatched from her bed on May 3 while her doctor parents Gerry and Kate, from Rothley, Leicestershire, were dining in a tapas bar opposite their apartment.

A reward of more than £2.5m is being offered for information leading to her discovery.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
cardboard said:
To me this is awful news, i would imagine she is not around if he did take her:(

Not necessarily, as I believe they have had him under surveillence for about a week, so it would be possible that they have been following him to where he is keeping her ...... he lives too close to the site to keep her at home.

Or perhaps she has been passed onto a couple, known to him who want a child - like Rob and that mad Doc off 'enders - and the surveillance has been to try and see who his associates are.

I've never thought it looks good for the little girl, but I don't think this necessarily changes her chances one way or another. It's just nice to feel we are closer to an answer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gritt23 said:
Not necessarily, as I believe they have had him under surveillence for about a week, so it would be possible that they have been following him to where he is keeping her ...... he lives too close to the site to keep her at home.

Or perhaps she has been passed onto a couple, known to him who want a child - like Rob and that mad Doc off 'enders - and the surveillance has been to try and see who his associates are.

I've never thought it looks good for the little girl, but I don't think this necessarily changes her chances one way or another. It's just nice to feel we are closer to an answer.

That is pretty much my take on it, too, except that I have no idea who Rob and mad Doc are. Is it Doctor Legg?

I personally don't like the media - and the police - releasing names of people, until they have formal charges againgst them. If this bloke is innocent his name will already be
blackened.

Remember earlier this year, with those Ipswich murders of prostitutes, that shop worker named was plastered everywhere on the news, headlines, as the murderer and sex beast, later to be proved innovcent. But not after his personal life was opened up and that he used prostitutes etc.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
London Calling said:
I personally don't like the media - and the police - releasing names of people, until they have formal charges againgst them. If this bloke is innocent his name will already be
blackened.

Remember earlier this year, with those Ipswich murders of prostitutes, that shop worker named was plastered everywhere on the news, headlines, as the murderer and sex beast, later to be proved innovcent. But not after his personal life was opened up and that he used prostitutes etc.

Agreed

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
A lawyer (not me) writes:

Under Portuguese law either the police or a person being questioned can request that they be formally named as a suspect, a process called ARGUIDO. We do not know if it was the police or the individual who made the request in this case. The process triggers rights for the person being questioned in particular the right to a lawyer and the right to remain silent. It does not necessarily carry the same connotation as being named as the main suspect in the UK.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm hoping this is good news. Especially the noises this bloke was making about the child being in Spain, probably. (his words).

It may mean a) she hasn't been physically abused b) a greater chance of being alive.

Fingers crossed.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
London Calling said:
blackened.

I completely agree. It's ironic that you use the innocent Ipswich man as an example, because the morning his name was released - no charges had or ever were brought - I had enough information on him from the press releases, that I was able to find his full name, full address (incl post code) AND his home telephone number, just from free to access websites such as BT.com

How can it be right that we allow so much information to be available on someone who is not even charged yet.

It has then made me angry how a news bulletin from Portugal cannot go 30 secs without having a dig at the secrecy of Portuguese law, when from my perspective, it's our laws that are shite, and it's not for us to take a high moral ground over their approach.

Someone, one day, in this country will walk free from court despite being guilty because their defence team were able to demonstrate that the media in this country had covered the story in such a way that he would have no chance of a fair trial. Our press will literally have a full front page picture of a man under the headline "MURDERER" once someone has been charged.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
One thing missing from the Sky News piece that was in the BBC report is seemingly under the Portuguese system being treated as a "suspect" affords the individual additional rights.

It's a curious development especially as a Sunday Mirror journalist reported him to the police. Clearly the media are aware of what happens when they report something like this and will have made sure there is a fire to go with the smoke.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
being the father of a little girl this case really upsets me - I hope to god that they find her safe. Please please please...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Normal Rob said:
being the father of a little girl this case really upsets me - I hope to god that they find her safe. Please please please...

Why particulary does this case upset you?

Does thousands of children dying every day through hunger also 'upset' you?

I think you are confusing being upset with compassion.

You are a victim of the media hype.

I'm not in the least bit upset personally.

Of course, we all hope for a happy outcome.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
clippedgull said:

Don't be such a patronising twat. We all understand the gist of your comments, but who are you to tell him what he can or can't be upset about.

This case has just felt that little bit closer to home, as he has a daughter himself. Why is that hard to understand?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
maffew said:

Yes, really.

Why should I be upset? Because the media want me to jump on the band wagon?

I want the girl to be found safe as already said but I don't know her so any outcome that is unsavoury won't upset me at all.

I will briefly feel sorry for her parents, then
get on with my life.

My feelings are for my family. End of.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
clippedgull said:
Yes, really.

Why should I be upset? Because the media want me to jump on the band wagon?

I want the girl to be found safe as already said but I don't know her so any outcome that is unsavoury won't upset me at all.

I will briefly feel sorry for her parents, then
get on with my life.

My feelings are for my family. End of.

Nice guy.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
clippedgull said:

What on Earth are you going on about?

Something very different happens to your emotions when you become a parent (well it did me, anyway), and I find stories like this upset me FAR more than they used to, because you understand what it is to be a parent, what it is to care for them so deeply with every breath that you and them take, how any tears they shed cut you to the bone, as you feel you should be protecting them from all the dangers in the World.

Obviously this case upsets me, as it does most people - except you of course - but for me it was the Soham case that hit me the hardest. It was the first case of this type that came along after I had become a parent, and the thought of losing your child, of not being there to protect them when they needed you the most was tearing at my heart constantly throughout it all.

I can only begin to imagine the agony the parents are going through right now, it wouldn't be something that I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Incidentally, the fact that this case upsets people such as Normal Rob doesn't mean that other stories, other suffering by children doesn't also cause a similar upset. It's whatever you are reading about, and focussing on at the time.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Normal Rob said:

Me too, Normal Rob. I'm not usually affected by these things but having a little girl of my own I do feel a lot more emotional about it.

I noticed the London evening papers had papparazzi style shots of the girl's mum, yesterday. The media coverage of this story has been disgusting. :nono:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Gritt23 said:
What on Earth are you going on about?

Something very different happens to your emotions when you become a parent (well it did me, anyway), and I find stories like this upset me FAR more than they used to, because you understand what it is to be a parent, what it is to care for them so deeply with every breath that you and them take, how any tears they shed cut you to the bone, as you feel you should be protecting them from all the dangers in the World.

Obviously this case upsets me, as it does most people - except you of course - but for me it was the Soham case that hit me the hardest. It was the first case of this type that came along after I had become a parent, and the thought of losing your child, of not being there to protect them when they needed you the most was tearing at my heart constantly throughout it all.

I can only begin to imagine the agony the parents are going through right now, it wouldn't be something that I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Incidentally, the fact that this case upsets people such as Normal Rob doesn't mean that other stories, other suffering by children doesn't also cause a similar upset. It's whatever you are reading about, and focussing on at the time.

Wise words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here