Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Eaton Memorial Flag

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
What happened to the Robert Eaton Memorial Flag? With the opening of Falmer and also 10 year anniversary of 9/11 next year, shouldn't a permanent home be made for it, even in a corner at Falmer?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Genuine question if you ask me. Not everyone knows the day to day binfest on here.
It got nicked, probably.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mr Hebbard and I spent a good hour looking around the containers by the players entrances one afternoon trying to find the flag, and we can confirm it is NOT anywhere at Withdean.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Genuine question if you ask me. Not everyone knows the day to day binfest on here.
It got nicked, probably.

I would guess, as it was apparantly kept in a builders bag, one day it was collect thinking it was rubbish and disposed of

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No one seems to know exactly what happened but the best guess is it was stored somewhere at Withdean and when they did some building work some builders picked up the bag and threw it out, thinking it was rubbish. It jad a lot of use including the REMF games and the Cardiff final and many other games. I think it is a good idea to consider a new flag for the opening of Falmer and I am sure we could get a more secure place there to store it. I did a thread a year ago and got £ 600 of pledges. However the problem with the last one is that it was very heavy and cumbersome and people liked to have it in the away grounds but did not like the chore of folding it up, carrying it to a car and storing it when they got back so we would need this sorted and agreed first.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
:tantrum: Sake how many more times. :tantrum:

If it's made of rip-stop nylon. The stuff that hot air balloons and yacht spinnakers are made of, and not cotton as the other one was, the new one could be huge and pack up fairly small and one man could carry it.
It would not have the problems the last one had. This is the way supporters of other Clubs that already have these do it.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Right, I agree with skipper if it's light enough then it will be a lot easier to move around and store.
As for looking after it, I hope to be sat in the north stand at falmer and will gladly take responsibility for it if we were to get a new flag.
So let's get some pledges and prices of where to get one made, I'll start with £20

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No one seems to know exactly what happened but the best guess is it was stored somewhere at Withdean and when they did some building work some builders picked up the bag and threw it out, thinking it was rubbish. It jad a lot of use including the REMF games and the Cardiff final and many other games. I think it is a good idea to consider a new flag for the opening of Falmer and I am sure we could get a more secure place there to store it. I did a thread a year ago and got £ 600 of pledges. However the problem with the last one is that it was very heavy and cumbersome and people liked to have it in the away grounds but did not like the chore of folding it up, carrying it to a car and storing it when they got back so we would need this sorted and agreed first.

Last time THPP say it was when he helped carry it back to the storage shed near where the players now come out after the Albion-West Ham game where Hammond scored two and BZ deliberately stuck a shot round the post that would have given the Ammers a win then turned and quietly winked at H Block. Ha ha Pardew.

Anybody able to trace giant flag's movements after that day which was 23 Apr 2005?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was at Cardiff whenever that was.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So we had around 4 years use out of it. Lets draw a line under it and move on and get the second flag arranged for the start of Falmer and if possible REMF 10 which will be late April/Early May 2011.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Watford away 2004 is the last time I remember. Sorry that i've missed a lot of this but is there plans for a new collection and new flag? I know it's prob been discussed a lot... I also don't think the last one was too big and would be OK at Falmer?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I think the problem with making it with anything lighter than what it was made of was to do with getting a fire safety certificate for it - that took endless rounds of negotiations, if I recall. We had to take the fire safety certificate with us to grounds or get the safety officer from whichever ground we were visiting to give us one during the week before the game, otherwise we couldn't take it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here