Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Earnshaw to Charlton

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Funny how it's often players you never expect who win other team's awards.

I bet anyone looking at us would assume Leon Knight won.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
The play-offs are a possibility for us next season, but a pretty remote one.

Our first eleven will be a match for most sides in the division, but we lack strength in depth. We lost Kavanagh and Thorne to injury for the last quarter of the season and struggled without them.

We won't be involved in much transfer activity during the summer months by all accounts, and the word 'consolidation' is already being bandied about by the manager and his players.

We've got some very talented players for the First Division and we're great to watch when everyone's fit, but a couple of injuries and suspensions and we're in trouble.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I suppose the aim at the moment for you has to be staying in the first for the time being. It will be exciting times at Cardiff when the stadium goes up, then you can really push for the Premiership.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
edna krabappel said:
Funny how it's often players you never expect who win other team's awards.

I bet anyone looking at us would assume Leon Knight won.

I for one think he should have done. But whatever.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I suppose the aim at the moment for you has to be staying in the first for the time being. It will be exciting times at Cardiff when the stadium goes up, then you can really push for the Premiership.

That's the plan I believe. There really is no point in the club pushing for the Premiership while we're stuck at Ninian Park, and don't think Hammam will be loosening the purse strings again until the stadium is close to completion.

Still, last season was our most entertaining for decades. We played some terrific football, and we have a few great young players at the moment in Earnie, Gabbidon, Langley, Parry and Collins (whe looks like he might prove to be the best of the lot in the long term - a brilliant defender in the making).

We had five players in the Welsh side that beat Canada on Sunday, and another three in international action for Ireland, Jamaica and Australia this wekk. Can't be bad.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You should ignore how crumbling Ninian Park is LB, and just go for it.

Pompey and Palace are already dramatically lowering the standards of Premiership stadia, so I wouldn't be too concerned about NP!

And yes, I am aware of how ironic it is for a Brighton fan to be taking the piss out of other club's grounds...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In all honesty TLB, has anyone checked the accounts properly while Sam Hammam is in charge. I only ask because I wouldn't trust him with a bargepole and I'd be interested to see what sort of debts he's saddled the club with. If that stadium plan wasn't seen through I reckon he'd have left you in deep financial trouble...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
hows alan lee doing????

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
£24 million in debt at the last count, but apparently it is nothing to worry about. The current bank facility is about to be renewed and they are reported to be happy enough with the current state of play.

There will be a cap on spending until the stadium is well under way, but the club has recently invested a couple of million in a youth set-up which has been granted academy status by the FA, and the retail space on the site of the new stadium has just been sold to developers for something like £20 million.

I don't know how these things work at all, and normally I would be very worried by a £24 milion debt, but the reports in the papers here are positive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I don't know how these things work at all, and normally I would be very worried by a £24 milion debt, but the reports in the papers here are positive.
It obviously depend on your assets and the investments being made. Bradford City are £33m in debt, they have no academy, no ground (I think) and until recently have had some very big earners, yet even they are hanging on by their fingernails.

I guess the bank know best...

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Scotty M said:
hows alan lee doing?

He's been disappointing to be honest. Started well enough, but he got injured when away with Ireland before Christmas, and he didn't recapture his form when he returned to the side.

If both players are fit he will have trouble keeping Peter Thorne out of the side, although I expect better from Lee after a good pre-season. He's been a regular in the Ireland side for the last couple of games anyway.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Simster said:
I guess the bank know best...

Hopefully the FA know best. Apparently, a club's finances have to be in order before the FA will grant youth academy status. Hammam's invested a lot of money in that area and the FA were happy enough with the current finances and the future business plan.

I don't believe that all in the CCFC garden is rosy by any means, but I don't think the debt is a great worry either. Hammam has stated that our business plan is on course, and the financial experts at the FA and the legal people in the Welsh Assembly appear to agree with him, hence the academy status and the permission for the stadium plans.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What's the position with your stadium, TLB, and where is it going? When all the banter was going on 2 years ago with T***y, it was the Athletics Stadium. Is is still going to have 60,000 seats? If so and the Welsh team start to play there, that could put the Milstad in real trouble with the loss of the play offs.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Our new stadium is going to be situated on the ground currently occupied by the athletics stadium (a few hundred yards from Ninian Park). The first part of the development is the building of a new athletics stadium across the road.

The new football stadium will initially be a two-tier scructure and will have 30,000 seats. Additional tiers can then be added to each side of the ground if there is sufficient demand. The capacity would rise in stages with the addition of each new tier to 38,600, 47,200, 52,600 and 58,000.

The future of the Millennium Stadium is a great concern with or without Cardiff City's new ground. The company that owns it is already very deep in debt (as are the WRU), and the loss of the major domestic football fixtures when Wembley is rebuilt will no doubt increase the financial problems.

It has been suggested that future Welsh football internationals could be staged at Cardiff's new ground as it may prove a much cheaper option for the Welsh FA for certain matches. Again, that would increase the problems for the Millennium Stadium.

Although the current management team seem to have been doing a pretty decent job over the last couple of years, the previous management at the Mill Stad (a bunch of hopeless ex-WRU tossers) were a complete joke. They very nearly bankrupted the place before it was even finished, and they made a complete mess of its finances long before the current team of professionals were brought in to sort things out.

It's been terrific to read how impressed everyone was with the organisation at the stadium on Sunday, but it hasn't always been like that, believe me. If you had gone to a match there shortly after it opened you'd have been amazed at how poor the stewarding, catering, bar service, etc, was by comparison to how it is now.

However, despite the much-improved management, there is still a very real fear around these parts that the Millennium Stadium may soon turn into an enormous white elephant thanks to its huge debts and the lack of major events likely to be held there in the future.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Rich Suvner said:
good player - right club

type of club bobby z needed to go to imho

spurs have the highest rate of playing ex nationwide players in there first team and he hasnt set the world a light a west ham and from what i have seen of him there he does look rather poor

still a legend tho

Indefatigable

Mar 23, 2004
bloody hell laughing bluebird - will you stop being so reasonable - you are giving your club a good name.

Great day out in Cardiff by the way, although there was a distinct absence of Welsh accents.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
True indefatigable, most of the accents I heard were either Bristolian or pure Sussex!!!

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Our new stadium is going to be situated on the ground currently occupied by the athletics stadium (

why does that sound familiar :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here