Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Codner. Hit or Miss

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Hit!

He would have walked into any of our sides in the last ten year,s.

Went missing in rather a few games, but had talent and scored a few goals.

Millwall at home in the playoffs and one a plymouth which was quite special, thow I will allways remember the penalty against Bristol Rovers at Twerton park he managed to f**k up against the stand in keeper still putting his gloves on!

mostly a miss (as were many of his "passes").

A reallly frustrating player. Loads of ability which would have been better served if he'd been playing a different role in a better team with better players. unfortunately he had to compensate for Wilkins lack of tackling and pace.

And he took the worst penalty I have ever seen (at Bristol Rovers in 1988) when a stand-in keeper (their proper keeper having been sent off for the foul on Clive Walker that won the pen) kicked Codner's penalty away for a throw in as if he was receiving a back pass...........

Happy days:drink:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
He was my favourite player throughout my childhood. Not that I can remember it that well. So I will say hit.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Top, top player for the Albion IMHO.

Met him recently in a bar, chatted away for ages, so I will also vouch for him being an absolutely TOP bloke too.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Codner was a decent player, ok he was lightweight on occasion but I was always happy to see him in the team.

Peter Smith on the other hand is in the worst 11 players to ever pull on the stripes. His boots must have been shaped like 50p's, I have never seen a full back kick the ball out of touch so often when trying to play down the line in all my life. He wasnt even Sussex county league standard quality. It is no coincidence that one of the worst times on the playing field during this clubs history came about while Smith was in our squad.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Storer68 said:
And he took the worst penalty I have ever seen (at Bristol Rovers in 1988) when a stand-in keeper (their proper keeper having been sent off for the foul on Clive Walker that won the pen) kicked Codner's penalty away for a throw in as if he was receiving a back pass...........

Happy days:drink:
God yeah, I remember that game. We went without tickets and still got into the away end. Marvellous. And despite that SHOCKING pen, we still won EASILY.

I remember Codner absolutely running that game and yet we'll always remember that penalty effort in front of the away support. It was feckin laughable. Great days...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Peter Smith: Shite but worked hard and put himself about. But no talent whatsoever.

In that great escape season, he saved us 2 points with an incredibly brave goal line headed clearance at home to Exeter. I'll always be grateful for that.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Nemesis said:
That had to be the first instance of vote rigging a Player of the Season award. How else could he have been voted player of the season? His effort and commitment couldn't be questioned but he was DREADFUL. A customer of mine is a Woking fan and after his first couple of games for them I was asked if they had got the right Peter Smith-they were convinced we had sent them somebody who had never played professional football in his life...

As for Codner-never could make up my mind about him when he was playing for us: even harder now but I think a miss for me. A few good games isn't enough.
i pissed myself when he was awarded it!!.one of me mates swears he still believed he was mustard,me,i thought he was utter pants,my 10year old had better control

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Codner is a legend! Will always remember his absolute screamer in the mid 90's against plymouth. Sure, he was a little lazy and had a few "off field" probs but he always came up with some good goals!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here